Colorado Bear Tag Price

WKR
We have a surplus of bears and it isn't helping the deer and elk populations. Hoping the tag decreased price will inspire folks to buy them. We've killed 7 in the last 7 years and its a heavy cross to bear, so to speak.

amp713

WKR
With the price drop I may get one too. I'm just 40 minutes from the Colorado border myself...

WKR
Not one of those 7 was killed on a carcass. Actually watched a few carcasses coming and going and was never fortunate enough to see a bear on them. In a good berry and acorn year, they seem to almost prefer those to anything.

I was taught western slope bears by a very knowledgeable bear hunter after several years of striking out.
1. Hunt berry and oak thickets that have bear sign
2. Hunt ponds that are surrounded by those same thickets
3. Get the high ground where possible and watch openings and for brush moving as bears feed in it.
4. Exercise extreme patience, try to sit all day in areas with bear sign
5. Be prepared for fast shots at long distances. Or quick shots at very close range. But either way, you'd better move fast once you know it is a legal bear.
6. Sitting an active pond with a bow or muzzleloader should yield results if you can literally sit all day. Killed the 18 yard bear at 1 pm on a very hot day.

Our shots have been 18 yards, 70 yards, 221 yards, 336 yards, 436 yards, 600 yards, and 700 yards. Its a fun hunt and an animal I have great respect for. Good luck to those going after them.

OP
kscreekguy
I’ll likely be hunting the first week of September in the North Central part of the state. As of now I am going to backpack/ bivy hunt the archery season. Already getting excited for this hunt. It’s important to note that you’ll have to pick up a small game license or Turkey license to buy the Non-Res OTC tag this year.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would love to hunt bear but I'm too focused on ungulates in the fall to pay much attention. If CO really is serious then they need to reopen the spring bear season, I would on that like white on rice.
They can't just reopen it because it helps manage the population. Spring season was closed by a ballot measure so it would take a vote on a new ballot measure to over turn. Not likely to happen in New California

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

rm06

WKR
They can't just reopen it because it helps manage the population. Spring season was closed by a ballot measure so it would take a vote on a new ballot measure to over turn. Not likely to happen in New California

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I wasn't aware of that, I knew there used to be a spring season but it was closed down. Your comment about New California makes me sad but it's true, my plan is to head for friendlier territories when my youngest gets out of high school.

swampokie

WKR
I see where hsus is giving an anti lion hunting presentation at the march commission meeting. This is starting to seem all too familiar

harry

FNG
Would definitely have a bear tag in my pocket, but I'm planning on an early deer rifle and there is no rifle bear that coincides. For $100, I would always add it to any hunt just in case if practical. May have to keep my bow in my truck just in case I would get lucky on deer and tag out early, then get a bear tag and finish my time that way instead of heading home early.

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Really when you do the math the Bear tag isnt much cheaper this year for non residents compared to last year. Once you figure in the fact that this year a non resident has to buy a small game license at the cost of $151 just to buy or apply for a big game license, its basically $250 in comparison to $350 from last year. Cheaper...yes. That much cheaper to "just have the tag", no.

WKR
It looks like it is actually $81.25 for non-resident hunting, $10 habitat stamp, and $100 for the bear tag. So $191 or so. Big reduction from last year.

OP
kscreekguy
Really when you do the math the Bear tag isnt much cheaper this year for non residents compared to last year. Once you figure in the fact that this year a non resident has to buy a small game license at the cost of $151 just to buy or apply for a big game license, its basically $250 in comparison to $350 from last year. Cheaper...yes. That much cheaper to "just have the tag", no.

Well hey thanks for stopping by, feeding some misinformation and generally being a downer!

harry

FNG
Would definitely have a bear tag in my pocket, but I'm planning on an early deer rifle and there is no rifle bear that coincides. For $100, I would always add it to any hunt just in case if practical. May have to keep my bow in my truck just in case I would get lucky on deer and tag out early, then get a bear tag and finish my time that way instead of heading home early.
I was wrong, there is a tag available then, it's in the draw. I will be adding that to my application. Makes me even a little more excited for this Fall.

draxus

FNG
I am going for an archery elk hunt, might see if I can win the same unit for $100 just in case I stumble on one

Fitzwho

WKR
I put in for a unit near Telluride for the September draw rifle hunt. With 1 point it should be a given to get the tag. Now I’ll probably draw my NM elk tag and maybe have to sacrifice a little on the bear tag and just do a 4 day weekend warrior trip. If they’ll keep that price for a bit I’ll hunt bears in CO every year until I get one.

Yes for 100$ as a non resident it does make it hard to say no to not having one just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk