Colorado BHA Position on res/nonres tags - missing the big picture

Comerade

FNG
I didn't read all the responses.
Here in B.C , out of province / out of country hunters must use a Class A Outfitter to hunt here.
It is a good system , residents aren't giving to much away and there are exceptions.
It might be purely selfish but I live where I hunt, I contribute to local wildlife projects.Why should a non resident simply show up, contributing nothing besides licencing and tag fees.
Let them at least hire a outfitter, local guides to hunt our wildlife.

blackdawg

WKR
Here in B.C , out of province / out of country hunters must use a Class A Outfitter to hunt here.
It is a good system , residents aren't giving to much away and there are exceptions.
It might be purely selfish but I live where I hunt, I contribute to local wildlife projects.Why should a non resident simply show up, contributing nothing besides licencing and tag fees.

In this day and age restrictions placed to limit hunting or fishing seems to be a bad idea, being from B.C. and having the ballot box of liberals in the cities eliminate Grizzly bear hunting for everyone, I would think encouraging participation would be at top of the agenda for you and other sportsmen in B.C. instead of restricting opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
It might be purely selfish but I live where I hunt, I contribute to local wildlife projects. Why should a non resident simply show up, contributing nothing besides licencing and tag fees.
Terrible idea. Plus YOU may contribute to local wildlife but be realistic how many "local" hunters actually do. Also, take MT for example. I as a non-resident pay roughly $640 for a single deer tag my sister who is a resident $16. Where is your better bang for your buck when it comes to funding wildlife projects.

Comerade

FNG
I might of spoke out of turn a little.
I don't know the situation in Colorado.
This my personal opinion only, but I feel if we have to allow non resident hunters they should hire an Outfitter. BHA doesn't take a position on this...as far as I know.

Vandy321

WKR
I tried the Google search, nothing coming up, is there a proposal to reduce NR tags available in CO? Is this for draw or OTC or both? If this is a proposal, is there a comment period? Honestly, can't find a single thing on Google about it.

Can someone provide a link?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried the Google search, nothing coming up, is there a proposal to reduce NR tags available in CO? Is this for draw or OTC or both? If this is a proposal, is there a comment period? Honestly, can't find a single thing on Google about it.

Can someone provide a link?
This thread was from 2017

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Squamch

WKR
Problem there is foreigners working as guides and outfitters. BC wildlife should be managed primarily for BC hunters. Non residents should get the leftovers, if there are any. Our government has a responsibility to the citizens of BC first. Have a look at what our allocations look like for resident vs non resident. A ton of our critters were given to non residents when the grizzly hunt was canceled, to placate the guide industry.
Guiding outfits should be owned by BC residents, and employ BC residents if the argument is going to be $$ coming into our province. Likewise everywhere else. Residents first. Whether it's a resident of BC, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, Montana, or Florida, they should always have first priority when it comes to consumption recreation.

Rokbar

WKR
I might of spoke out of turn a little.
I don't know the situation in Colorado.
This my personal opinion only, but I feel if we have to allow non resident hunters they should hire an Outfitter. BHA doesn't take a position on this...as far as I know.
So, every state should have to hire an outfitter for NR's? Or just CO.

Billinsd

WKR
..I've always wondered why all the other western states allow very few NR tags compared to Colorado. So CO has more tags for NR's as a percentage over the other states, yet seems to always be in more dire straights when it comes to money. That's backwards, and explains a lot about the CDOW.
It's the MONEY. Mostly money for CDOW and to a lesser extent tourism and helping support small towns. Colorado does have greater deer and elk herds, but the ratio of hunters to game has been high since I can remember in the 70s. Many government agencies with huge budgets are in dire straits, because when it comes to the government there is never enough money and rarely are agencies accountable. The bigger they grow the harder they fall.