Colorado Billy

Foldem

WKR
After 14 years of applying I finally drew my Colorado goat tag. I spent a ton more time scouting than actually hunting as I was able to shoot my #2 billy at 7:30 AM opening morning with one of my best friends watching through the spotting scope 500 yards away. I had a goal to shoot a mature 5 year old billy and I was able to beat that with an older billy with 9 2/8" long on both horns and his hair could not have been better. We don't have very many old, heavy billys like Alaska and BC and I'm super happy with the whole experience. We were able to hunt goats on their turf away from the popular hiking trails and didn't see another person until we hoofed camp out the day after getting the billy out. I already loved goat country from my Colorado deer hunts, but have an even deeper love and respect for it and these tough animals now. He was super tough and took some lead and kept fighting.

Image (3).jpegImage (4).jpeg
Image (6).jpegImage (7).jpegImage1.jpegImage (2).jpeg

rm06

WKR
Well done, that's a proud billy! I'll post up my 2020 CO mountain goat story sometime here in the near future.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats to you! A we'll earned prize. You're absolutely right about a mountain goat's will to live. They are tough critters!

OP
Foldem

Foldem

WKR
that's awesome! What elevation were you at? Was this before or after that big snow dump in the 1st part of September?

Thanks all.

Flyguy We were just under 12,000’. He would bed up at 13,000’ during the day and drop down in the afternoon to feed around 12,000’ all night, then back up in the am. This was opening day of 2nd season 9/21 so most of that snow has melted already.