Colorado BLM 37,371,18,28

jjgaw

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some advice from the experienced CO hunters on the forum.

I'm used to hunting Mule deer in open country terrains and I have always observed the most deer in those areas when i hunt MT. Due to not drawing a general tag in MT this year I am planning on going to CO, Specifically units 37, 371, 18, 28 in 2nd rifle. I am doing my research and looking at maps for potential hunting areas. I understand this part of CO is much different then eastern MT. My eyes are drawn to the chunks of BLM that look like open country/lower elevations at 7,000-8,000 ft, especially along creeks and rivers.

My question is, do these open areas in CO also hold good numbers of deer? Are they an overlooked terrain for deer since most hunters are chasing elk in the higher elevations?

I am trying to get a better understanding of what these areas look like before i get out there to scout or hunt. Looking at a map can be deceiving, until you get there.

Thanks for any input. Pic for reference of the types of land im looking at

Attachments

• 3B51D787-0043-4290-A590-08C8EF122B60.jpeg
    3B51D787-0043-4290-A590-08C8EF122B60.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

jmav58

WKR
I'm in the same boat as you for online scouting thus far. My advice would be to find all the field offices that CPW offer near your areas, call them and then they're going to direct you to field managers i.e. Game Wardens and then you can pick their brain as far as pressure, population and access. Also pull up Google Earth and look for areas that offer cover, food and water. If it offers cover, there will probably be deer there to some extent. Since 2nd season is later this year, maybe ask about does or if you end up scouting these units yourself, keep a tab on if you see some does there.

OP
jjgaw

jjgaw

Lil-Rokslider
Don't post identifiable maps, fyi

It’s fine, this isn’t an area of BLM I’m for sure hunting. It was used as a reference to the type of areas I’m looking at on maps.

street

WKR
It’s fine, this isn’t an area of BLM I’m for sure hunting. It was used as a reference to the type of areas I’m looking at on maps.
It doesn't matter if you are or aren't going to be hunting it. You are posting up a map of specific terrain and location asking if its good, that can be seen by millions of people. Do you not see the conflict of interest? In general people will be willing to help you, but think about it a little bit. At least black out some the obvious landmarks.

street

WKR
I'm not trying to be a dick. But there are guys out there that hunt the area you just broadcasted, that other people can find in about 30 seconds of looking at a map.

kcm2

WKR
If someone says it is good hunting, the over-under on camps in the middle of that area is at least twelve.

swampokie

WKR
Nobody is trying to be a dick they r just trying their damnedest to let all the new and unfamiliar hunters know how awful the hunting is in the areas they hunt the hell out of. No one gona come in and say well it sucks and i wouldnt burn x amount of points?? Heres ur chance to battle point creep boys!!! Dont miss it

OMG thanks for the new spot bro!

I’ve been up in that corridor between 371 and 37 quite a bit for archery elk and once for 2nd season deer. Any of those low access points off HWY 9 get hit pretty hard and I’ve rarely seen any wildlife on those BLM spots. I would guess it’s good in 4th season if weather pushed them down though. But that’s just my experience, some old local may slay them down on that BLM, it wouldn’t hurt to spend a day on it anyways who knows.

You’re hitting an area that gets a ton of pressure but deer are for sure in there. The Kremmling area is a huge hit, then of course around Granby/Fraser and Breck/Frisco are just full of people anyways.

Hike up into those ridges and still hunt aspen pockets and meadows. They’ll start creeping out at last light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
jjgaw

jjgaw

Lil-Rokslider
OMG thanks for the new spot bro!

I’ve been up in that corridor between 371 and 37 quite a bit for archery elk and once for 2nd season deer. Any of those low access points off HWY 9 get hit pretty hard and I’ve rarely seen any wildlife on those BLM spots. I would guess it’s good in 4th season if weather pushed them down though.

You’re hitting an area that gets a ton of pressure but deer are for sure in there. The Kremmling area is a huge hit, then of course around Granby/Fraser and Breck/Frisco are just full of people anyways.

Hike up into those ridges and still hunt aspen pockets and meadows. They’ll start creeping out at last light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate the reply and advice. I was hoping those lower elevation BLM’s would be overlooked, but after hearing from a few different people it’s all the same consensus. I knew these units were hit pretty hard because I have a friend that elk hunted it 2 years ago. But, this secondary draw was my backup plan and i wanted to find a unit that had a decent amount of leftover tags. There is of course always a chance I still won’t draw and then it’s on to plan C.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Get high and grind it ,capitalize when you do get that opportunity because it might be your only, but it can happen lot of hunters but just have to hunt harder than the rest , couple slugs come out of the forest there every year , 2nd season could pay off this year as late as it is

sndmn11

WKR
I'm not trying to be a dick. But there are guys out there that hunt the area you just broadcasted, that other people can find in about 30 seconds of looking at a map.

If someone can find it in 30s of map looking, it doesn't matter if it was "broadcast". It's also public land that he has just as much right to have a discussion about as anyone regardless of how many years they have or haven't hunted it.

Appreciate the reply and advice. I was hoping those lower elevation BLM’s would be overlooked, but after hearing from a few different people it’s all the same consensus. I knew these units were hit pretty hard because I have a friend that elk hunted it 2 years ago. But, this secondary draw was my backup plan and i wanted to find a unit that had a decent amount of leftover tags. There is of course always a chance I still won’t draw and then it’s on to plan C.

There won't be more than a relatively few resident deer in those types of places until it snows consistently higher up. There are surely bucks within those resident deer. I would hunt west of Fraser towards Ptarmigan.

LJ Buck

WKR
This stuff sure is getting old. Rokslide should start a section titled Unit Information Section so all the people can funnel to one spot and post these questions (kinda like a Junk email box)

OP
jjgaw

jjgaw

Lil-Rokslider
This stuff sure is getting old. Rokslide should start a section titled Unit Information Section so all the people can funnel to one spot and post these questions (kinda like a Junk email box)
To be honest I don’t think you read the post at all. It literally has nothing to do with the unit. I could have said unit x for all I care. I am asking about terrain and how they affect both human and deer pressure.

Now for my advice. I think you and all the other high horse hunters should start your own forum where you literally talk about nothing at all other than the “good old days” since you’re totally against any sort of advice related to hunting because you hate having competition.

If you have anything else to say feel free to message me since you’re not contributing to this thread.

Hunting 371 is very hit or miss depending on weather. Access is very limited and you're walking a mile before you get past private property . They have started clear cutting along the highway for fire mitigation and destroyed a lot of good cover. I hunted it the past three years and in that time I have seen exactly one mule deer buck, elk occasionally but no shots, and this past fall moose several times. I won't be back. Another bothersome issue was an influx of hunters, who didn't see much game either so no biggie. I hunted the unit from north to south in virtually every access spot and mere tracks were hard to come by.

LJ Buck

WKR
I’m sorry but if you can’t look at google earth and a topo map and see what the terrain is like then I am not sure how to help you.

When people say the maps or photos make the terrain deceiving all they are saying is “dam I didn’t think the mountain were going to be that big”

We went talking about the good old days but for our life time we are living them right now when it comes to Mule Deer and elk. The mountains have become infested with recreation and it is hurting the animals much more then people think based on many observations.

Just go scout and not look for answers from everyone else like all other Americans who just want hunts/life handed to them. Go get It!!! Don’t wait for it to be handed to ya and no asking ur questions on a forum are not going and getting it!!!

Hopefully someone finds this this post a contribution to the thread!!

OP
jjgaw

jjgaw

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sorry but if you can’t look at google earth and a topo map and see what the terrain is like then I am not sure how to help you.

When people say the maps or photos make the terrain deceiving all they are saying is “dam I didn’t think the mountain were going to be that big”

We went talking about the good old days but for our life time we are living them right now when it comes to Mule Deer and elk. The mountains have become infested with recreation and it is hurting the animals much more then people think based on many observations.

Just go scout and not look for answers from everyone else like all other Americans who just want hunts/life handed to them. Go get It!!! Don’t wait for it to be handed to ya and no asking ur questions on a forum are not going and getting it!!!

Hopefully someone finds this this post a contribution to the thread!!

I have never done anything short of work my ass off when it comes to hunting and its always paid off for me. I am relatively new to western hunting so learning about maps, terrain types and their affect on mule deer is a learning process and even harder when you live in Midwest. And this is a great source. Until people like you come along.. I can look at a map visualize the terrain but that doesn't mean i understand how it affects the deer population and pressure.

However, i do live 18 hours from CO, so if i can get some knowledge from locals and experienced hunters that might help me learn enough to cross a terrain type off my maps that could save me a couple more hours of driving.

hobbes

WKR
To be honest, the most annoying thing on here lately is the nonstop whining about folks asking for help and not the guys actually asking for help. If you can't bare to see folks look for info then you may as well skip the internet. I work on my cars using YouTube and I research packs, tents, sleeping bags, and all sorts of gear using Rokslide and youtube. Its all in the name of utilizing info shared by someone that's already been there and done that. If you can't see how that's going to translate into folks doing the same for hunting locations, units, terrain, etc; you might as well give upon the forums.

Get over yourselves, skip the thread, and quit the whining.

As far as the question on terrain. I'm sure there are some deer, but I think in second season you'll find more deer higher unless you are hunting eastern CO.