Colorado BLM 37,371,18,28

Fatcamp

WKR
To be honest, the most annoying thing on here lately is the nonstop whining about folks asking for help and not the guys actually asking for help. If you can't bare to see folks look for info then you may as well skip the internet. I work on my cars using YouTube and I research packs, tents, sleeping bags, and all sorts of gear using Rokslide and youtube. Its all in the name of utilizing info shared by someone that's already been there and done that. If you can't see how that's going to translate into folks doing the same for hunting locations, units, terrain, etc; you might as well give upon the forums.

Get over yourselves, skip the thread, and quit the whining.

As far as the question on terrain. I'm sure there are some deer, but I think in second season you'll find more deer higher unless you are hunting eastern CO.

No. Advice on specific units, trailheads, and glassing locations on open forums is a bad idea. All it takes is one well meaning person putting that information online to ruin an area. My favorite spots would be crushed if someone did that. NW SD now has limited access archery tags specifically because everyone and their brother had to talk about how great it was leading to excessive numbers of archers. Just teach people how to read a map. Like, what is a MVUM, BLM Quadrangle, or settings on GE.

There are many ways to share knowledge and experience without mentioning specifics. It isn't hard at all.

OP
jjgaw

jjgaw

Lil-Rokslider
No. Advice on specific units, trailheads, and glassing locations on open forums is a bad idea. All it takes is one well meaning person putting that information online to ruin an area. My favorite spots would be crushed if someone did that. NW SD now has limited access archery tags specifically because everyone and their brother had to talk about how great it was leading to excessive numbers of archers. Just teach people how to read a map. Like, what is a MVUM, BLM Quadrangle, or settings on GE.

There are many ways to share knowledge and experience without mentioning specifics. It isn't hard at all.
Again, i didn't ask for help with specific units, trailheads, or glassing locations. I simply listed 4 units i may be visiting with a picture of a small piece of BLM i have no intention of actually visiting. You need to learn to read. Keep moving.

Wapiti1

WKR
So, 2nd season is tough. The bucks are in the timber for the most part. Anything that is easy to get to and glass will have people glassing it. There will be a few deer low, but likely mostly does and maybe a forky or three. Anything bigger than that got shot on opening day of the first season by a local that has been watching him all year.

The advice on get higher and check the aspens is good. Clearcuts, burns, and any scrub brush areas adjacent to timber are also places to check out. You're going to have to cover a lot of ground to bump into bucks.

It's a kind of tough season just due to the nature of mule deer.

Jeremy

OP
jjgaw

jjgaw

Lil-Rokslider
So, 2nd season is tough. The bucks are in the timber for the most part. Anything that is easy to get to and glass will have people glassing it. There will be a few deer low, but likely mostly does and maybe a forky or three. Anything bigger than that got shot on opening day of the first season by a local that has been watching him all year.

The advice on get higher and check the aspens is good. Clearcuts, burns, and any scrub brush areas adjacent to timber are also places to check out. You're going to have to cover a lot of ground to bump into bucks.

Jeremy
appreciate the advice!

hobbes

WKR

Notice I never said that sharing openly was a good idea. It's actually a terrible idea. But.......Its not even close to reasonable to think folks aren't going to ask. Its the internet, that's what people do.......ask for help. Send a PM if you want to help, otherwise don't spend your energy lecturing folks. Hell, I'm wasting too much time right now, bitching about you guys bitching.

Fatcamp

WKR
Again, i didn't ask for help with specific units, trailheads, or glassing locations. I simply listed 4 units i may be visiting with a picture of a small piece of BLM i have no intention of actually visiting. You need to learn to read. Keep moving.

LOL. This conversation has moved beyond your original post.

Fatcamp

WKR
Notice I never said that sharing openly was a good idea. It's actually a terrible idea. But.......Its not even close to reasonable to think folks aren't going to ask. Its the internet, that's what people do.......ask for help. Send a PM if you want to help, otherwise don't spend your energy lecturing folks. Hell, I'm wasting too much time right now, bitching about you guys bitching.

Haha. I understand completely.

This issue is not going away and it does baffle me how often it reoccurs.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think the OP asking a general question about these units is going to make others flock to that area. If someone does give him specifics on a unit in an open forum, we’ll I guess that’s their business. And if it just so happens to be in “YOURS or MINE” public land honey hole I guess just have to go find a new one.

I think we all just need to realize that from this day forward hunting pressure is only going to increase and probably someday in the near future their will be no more OTC or general tags.There are also private land tags you can buy if you’re not ok with sharing public land with other hunters.

I think one of the moderators said it best a couple days ago, if you don’t want to help the guy then just move on.

I have no experience in those units but have hunted Southwest CO a bit and like others have said the mature bucks will stay up high until the weather forces them down. I’ve seen them up high in 12 to 18” of snow.

Good luck!

Jeremy

Jeremy is spot on! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sides of a lot of mountains and ridge lines look appealing but there are so many damn trees! I need to find places that provide plenty of food this year when I begin scouting. But I’m looking on maps to find a difficult area to get to to get away from the lazy hunters. My plan is to learn everything I can about mule deer, the area I’m scouting and then go hunt. I plan on working smarter not harder. I gotta avoid putting myself in areas where I can’t see bucks or does within 500 yards... gonna whack em when the weather pushes them down. That’s what I’m confused about. I have no idea how the mountains work in Colorado