Colorado Bull Down

I finally was able to hunt unit 49 for elk this year. I shot my bull Tuesday night right at timberline. Nothing like a 4 mile hike back to the truck in the dark. I used my dad's 28 year old Model 700 BDL 30.06 because my brand new rifle wouldn't shoot better than a 10 inch group at 200 yards so I had to send it in. Gotta love the classic rifles, always reliable. I am not sure 49 is worth the 6 points it takes but it is a good unit and I had a blast. Here are a few pics from the hunt. Good luck to all of you that still have hunts coming up. Man I love Autumn in the Rockies.

Attachments

• 425.jpg
    425.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 473
  • 418.jpg
    418.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 392
  • 437.jpg
    437.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 403
  • 428.jpg
    428.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 429

a3dhunter

WKR
Congrats.
Did you see any better bulls?
If not, I would agree that it isn't worth six points but I've heard of some good bulls from there.

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
Congrats bud, nice work!! Yes those old rifles can still get it done! My son shoots a 30/06 now & then & it is old as the hills but a tack driver!

ElkNut1

bbrown

WKR
Congrats again man - it was good talking with you and I will let you know what I find out for your brothers tag like we talked.

OP
In God We Trust
bbrown gave me some info on elk he was seeing and that paid off so thanks bro. As far as seeing bigger bulls, I did during preseason scouting but not many during the season. It's funny I new better but just the excitement of hunting a unit that takes that long to draw had my expectations maybe a bit higher than they should have been. It is still hunting and there isn't a 330"+ bull hanging out in every basin.

a3dhunter

WKR
I can completely understand that. Glad you found a bull you could take. There's a reason those bulls get big, they go somewhere to hide until hunting season is over. ;)