Colorado bullet choices

Powerbelts are out, they suck. I know Thor and Federal are good to go. Right now leaning towards Federal 350 lead but interested in any other options that are legal here. What are your thoughts? Lead, copper and weight. I’ll take all the info I can.

I'm in the same boat, looks like hornady discontinued their FPB bullets that I have been using (very happy with them). Powerbelts get a big thumbs down from me as well! Thor was next on my list, because I don't think I've ever seen a negative comment for performance on game. Interested what everyone else has to say about the federal 350.

OP
C
The Barnes TMZ looks interesting but not sure if it’s legal in Colorado.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have an unopened package of the Federal Bor-Lok lead and a package of the copper as well if you're local. I also have opened packages of each with 11-12 in each package. And I have some 250gr Thors as well that I'd be willing to sell.

OXN939

WKR
The Barnes TMZ looks interesting but not sure if it’s legal in Colorado.

Unfortunately, T-MZ and T-EZ are both saboted, so they are not legal in CO. Thor bullets are, from what I have found, the definite way to go. A few posts above this is the ballistics test I just did with Barnes T-EZs, will be doing the same thing with Thors soon.

I'm in the same boat, looks like hornady discontinued their FPB bullets that I have been using (very happy with them). Powerbelts get a big thumbs down from me as well! Thor was next on my list, because I don't think I've ever seen a negative comment for performance on game. Interested what everyone else has to say about the federal 350.

The FPB is still available at several places...

Any bullet is ok as long as it’s full bore, meaning no sabots of any kind. You can buy the 54 cal Barnes sabots and knurle them to fit your barrel with some tension.

The FPB is still available at several places...

I found 350's in stock, but have been using 300's. I have a bunch of pre-measured powder tubes already, so was hoping to stick with the 300's. If I have to redo everything, I would rather switch completely, so I'm not in the same boat next year.

OP
C
So, after a few replies, looks like federal, Thor and maybe one or two others are what I got.

I use the 460gr pure lead No Excuses. They just flat work.
They have a trial pack of different weights and diameters so you get bullets basically custom made for your gun.
I assume .50cal

OP
C
I’m leaning towards Thor but the fed’s are interesting and they sell them at my Walmart. I wish they had a heavier copper option.

I ordered some Thor 300gr lightnings last night, didn't know those existed, looks similar to what I was using before. I'll post some info in a couple weeks when I get a chance to shoot them.

I’m leaning towards Thor but the fed’s are interesting and they sell them at my Walmart. I wish they had a heavier copper option.

I wish they had a heavier copper option too. But since copper is lighter, they would have to be longer. Maybe that didn't work when the developed the bullet due to the "sleeve" they have on them?

WCB

WKR
No elk but shot plenty of deer with the Copper and Lead Federals. just using 100 grains of 777 pellets I am getting 2.5" groups at 100 yards. I am sure tuning with loose powder you could dial that in. All shots have been pass throughs from 50-160 yards. All exits have been well over bullet diameter so no sign of failing to open.