Colorado Clothing

szostak23

FNG
Heading to Colorado the last two weeks of September for an elk hunt and will be buying all necessary clothes, problem is I need to figure out what that is. Based on the weather, temps range from 30-80F and was told there was snow last year. I will be at about 10-11,000 ft.

Sounds like merino wool base layers with a mid layer and a puffy is all I need?

Any thoughts on what to get, brands, etc. is great appreciated.

stonewall

WKR
I think you’re on the right track. I’d say it depends on if backpacking (carry less for weight) or truck camping (keep stuff you don’t need for that day in the truck)

I like to have lightweight base layers tops and bottoms. Though I usually don’t use the bottoms bc I just warmup simply by moving. Zip offs would be nice. Synthetic or merino. A lot of people prefer merino
then lightweight pants and top
Then rain gear pants and top (may just need top)
Then puffy pants and jacket (may just need jacket). I’ll sometimes use the rain gear in place of puffy. But the puffy compresses well and isn’t much of a weight penalty. Rather have and not need sort of deal
I use synthetic undies and socks are some sort of blend. I carry extras of these items.
if truck camping I have extra pants and shirts to just bc I can

hope that helps

as far as brands: I have a mix of stuff, a lot bought off of here. I’ve lately added items from skre. I’ve been very happy with their stuff and they have excellent customer service. They often run sales. Might check there. They also have a rokslide discount for new customers

I’ve base camped or bivy’d in CO the last three years in both early and late September.

If hunting from base camp, I’ve found I don’t need more than my merino base and a puffy for when stationary for long periods of time. I also just wear my attack pants - no long johns.

For bivy hunting, I’ve been mostly comfortable with a merino base, fleece mid, puffy, and attack pants.

I bought a bunch of year before I went the first year and then sold half of it since. Try not to overthink it (I did).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won’t suggest one brand because there are a lot of good pieces from different brands. Your simple list is good. Add a rain coat and call it good. I use a light weight pant, base shirt, second shirt, puffy and rain coat.

cronsman

WKR
Also really like the lightweight hoodie they sell, especially for the sun protection and versatility anywhere else really

Poser

WKR
Yep, some merino base layers + 1 mid layer, a puffy and a hardshell is al you need.

I’d recommend preparing to protect yourself against the sun as many people get completed cooked in CO. OR has some great options to address this.

Vandy321

WKR
It was in the single digits with snow the first week of Sept last year above treeline. The year before it was 1 deg at camp the first week of Oct. Multiple rescues reported of folks who weren't prepared for those temps. I wouldn't necessarily bet on the lower temp limit being 30, especially up at 11k. Chances are temps will be mild, but always safe to have an extra layer or at least a bag thats good into the teens.

Wapiti16

FNG
I hunt southwest colorado the last two weeks of the season every year. 9500-11500' elevation. Day hunting and backpack hunting. I've tried many combos but this is what I've settled on for the past few years:

I wear a lightweight merino base (unless its super hot, then i go synthetic), and Sitka Apex pants and hoody. I use a First Lite Sawtooth vest in the mornings when it's colder. I keep a Stone Glacier Grumman jacket in my pack to use when I'm stationary or in the evenings at camp. I just got a new set of 2021 Sitka Dewpoint raingear that will be added into my system when needed this fall.

mlgc20

WKR
I was in northern Colorado the first week of September at about 8K' last year. It was in the 90's one day and by the next afternoon, my tent had collapsed under snow load. So, you really have to be prepared for everything. Here is what I took, and had no problem dealing with the wild weather swings. I will be taking the same setup for this years September and October Colorado trips. There are quality substitutes for all the pieces below. So, there are plenty of options.
  • Merino bases (top and bottom)
  • Sitka Equinox pants (basic lightweight pants)
  • Sitka Core Lightweight Hoodie
  • Kuiu Down Pro puffy
  • Kuiu Yukon jacket
  • Kuiu Yukon gaiters

Duckman23

FNG
I chatted with the guys at firstlite about 2nd/33rd rifle and they gave me a great list. I’ll tell you that the I am really impressed with the sawtooth vest/LS and the soft shell pieces

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve base camped or bivy’d in CO the last three years in both early and late September.

If hunting from base camp, I’ve found I don’t need more than my merino base and a puffy for when stationary for long periods of time. I also just wear my attack pants - no long johns.

For bivy hunting, I’ve been mostly comfortable with a merino base, fleece mid, puffy, and attack pants.

I bought a bunch of year before I went the first year and then sold half of it since. Try not to overthink it (I did).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@DmrbigEshotT you're wearing a puffy as your outer layer? What model? No issues with water or rips / tears?

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I was in northern Colorado the first week of September at about 8K' last year. It was in the 90's one day and by the next afternoon, my tent had collapsed under snow load. So, you really have to be prepared for everything. Here is what I took, and had no problem dealing with the wild weather swings. I will be taking the same setup for this years September and October Colorado trips. There are quality substitutes for all the pieces below. So, there are plenty of options.
  • Merino bases (top and bottom)
  • Sitka Equinox pants (basic lightweight pants)
  • Sitka Core Lightweight Hoodie
  • Kuiu Down Pro puffy
  • Kuiu Yukon jacket
  • Kuiu Yukon gaiters
@mlgc20 does the Yukon jacket have cuffs / sleeves as aggressively tapered as the Guide jacket does? I like the construction of the KUIU Guide jacket, but the fit is all wrong. Even in an XL (I’m a large in everything else), the front hem barely reaches my belt line and the cuffs are so tapered I can hardly get me wrist through them if I’m wearing a watch. Also, did you have to size up for Yukon, or was it true to size?

mlgc20

WKR
@mlgc20 does the Yukon jacket have cuffs / sleeves as aggressively tapered as the Guide jacket does? I like the construction of the KUIU Guide jacket, but the fit is all wrong. Even in an XL (I’m a large in everything else), the front hem barely reaches my belt line and the cuffs are so tapered I can hardly get me wrist through them if I’m wearing a watch. Also, did you have to size up for Yukon, or was it true to size?
The Yukon does not have the arm taper that the Guide jacket has. In general, it is cut a little more generous than the Guide. Because it's Kuiu, I would still size up to XL. You won't have an issue with the arms or hip length.