Colorado Compliant Bullet

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning on using my TC Encore in Colorado and have seen where you cannot use sabots. My current load up is 100gr of Pyrodex with a 250 grain TC Shockwave, which is great on Whitetails back East. I am planning on making the change this year to Blackhorn 209 and Barnes TMZ Sabots for longer range shots here in the east, while I am working that load up I would also like to work up a non-sabot load for my elk hunt (leaning towards Thor)

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. Hornady FPB (300 gr.) worked great out of my Ruger muzzleloader, but my CVA Optima hates them. I'm probably going to try the 350 grain FPB and the Thor and shoot whichever one groups better, but I'm always open to suggestions. Everything I've read about the Federal BOR Lock has been stellar, so I'm tempted to try those as well.

I am planning on using my TC Encore in Colorado and have seen where you cannot use sabots. My current load up is 100gr of Pyrodex with a 250 grain TC Shockwave, which is great on Whitetails back East. I am planning on making the change this year to Blackhorn 209 and Barnes TMZ Sabots for longer range shots here in the east, while I am working that load up I would also like to work up a non-sabot load for my elk hunt (leaning towards Thor)

Any recommendations?

You may have a problem... The way TC bores their bores and then installs the QLA may effect the accuracy of a full bore bullet - other than a Power Belt. The plastic bottom of the Power Belt tends to keep the bullet straight. Next this is not to say that your rifle might not have a bore and QLA that are square, you will just have to some conicals to test it.

This drawing attempts to show the problem

TC-QLA.jpg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I tried thor's with BH209 when working up a load for here and they shot an inch or two at 100yd with open sights (probably would be tighter with a scope), never tried anything else as that did what I needed it to do, it tracks true and 6" low at 150yd.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
Powerbelt 295s shoot great out of my Knight Ultralite. Haven't used one on elk yet, they work great on whitetails.

Powerbelt 295s shoot great out of my Knight Ultralite. Haven't used one on elk yet, they work great on whitetails.

You probably would not like the results on Elk... they are so light they tend to blow up... Better choice would be the 348 unless you go to one of the aerolites...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In 2017 my 16yo daughter got her elk tag the week before the season started, so we didn't have much time to work up a load. Thor's were out of stock so I bought some of the new Federal BOR LOKS in both copper and lead. They shot fine, but they slid up and down the inside of the barrel after seating them.......no bueno.

The only other thing I had was some 338gr Powerbelt Platinums. They shot great, but I had heard and read all the horror stories about losing elk to them. But on the other hand I also talked to a few guys that use them all the time with success.

I was amazed when I couldn't find a single drop of blood from either of the two entrance holes. No blood on the ground, no blood on the fur, no blood around the holes. In fact, I had to run my hand over the hide several times until I even found the holes. Luckily her first shot was a little high and had some spine shock that dropped him, but he got up and ran about 80 yards before dropping again, and then she put another one in him. If he had run through the timber over 100 yards, he would have been really tough to find with no blood anywhere.

Neither bullet exited, and I only found one of them against the opposite hide. I weighed it when we got home, and it weighed 199gr, so it lost 139gr or 40% of the bullet inside.

It kind of reminded me of the debate over broadheads. Sure, a 1" BH will kill an elk but blood on the ground is critical to recovering quickly, unless you watch or hear them drop. I've heard that ML conicals rarely exit elk which can hinder blood on the ground. Maybe that's just part of the game, but would love to find a ML bullet that blows through and dumps blood.

Attachments

• 100_3695.jpg
    100_3695.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 68

sika64

FNG

Any recommendations?
Is it a newer Encore or one of the originals ?

Jackson242

Lil-Rokslider
I would avoid Power Belts. 295g regular Power Belt on a deer largest recovered piece was 68g. Bull elk @ 40 yards with 295g Power Belt Platinum and had to put 2 in him still went 1/2 mile no pieces recovered no exit. The just don't seem to retain weight.

The Thor bullets retain weight but don’t expect an exit. I put 2 in a deer at about 50 yards with no exit.

I shot a buck with a .45 cal 250 grain Aerolite at 14 yards quartering towards me. I had 2'-3' of penetration with part of the bullet lodged in the offside hide. They aren't made for the velocity that it impacted at but I feel like it did a fine job. I have read a lot of negative about powerbelts on elk though.

tdhanses

WKR
If you like Barnes TMZ, look at the Thor bullets, it is a conical built using the Barnes bullets. Also the Federal Bor-lok is another option.

I have had good luck with the Thors but like said above, it never excited but dropped the buck in its tracks.

I picked up some of the lead Federals and will give them a try.

Jsunkler.
I am planning a trip for muzzloader using a pro hunter t/c
What range are you comfortable shooting with your ideal load. I was thinking of a Williams peep vs open stock sight. I am watching this thread and this site is really helpful to me. Thanks to all.

elkduds

WKR
My Optima is very accurate w FPBs. The 1st few were very hard to start in the barrel. Boresizing the bullets from the muzzle end eased loading.

My Optima is very accurate w FPBs. The 1st few were very hard to start in the barrel. Boresizing the bullets from the muzzle end eased loading.
I did the same. And yes, it really helped loading. What are you calling "very accurate" from your Optima? I really want to like the FPB's because they are well constructed and affordable. Maybe I should try the 350's?

elkduds

WKR
Savage, I liked the 300s well enough to look no further. My accuracy w CO open sights across the tailgate is 3" @ 100 yds. I don't see the sights or target that well, so I am confident the rifle is shooting better than 3" groups.