Colorado Confused

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Will be elk hunting in Unit 55 for elk this Sept. My son is worried his 71 yr. old Dad needs a chaperone and was wondering about picking up an archery bear license. The regs confuse me(not hard these days). When bear licenses with caps go on sale in August can he pick one up and be able to hunt our unit with us? Dumb it down for this old geezer please.

Yes, but elk and bear concentrate in different types of habitat and there is not much overlap in 55. If he wants to hang out with Dad, he might be better off trying to get a reissued elk or deer tag or getting a small game license and going after dusky grouse.

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, but elk and bear concentrate in different types of habitat and there is not much overlap in 55. If he wants to hang out with Dad, he might be better off trying to get a reissued elk or deer tag or getting a small game license and going after dusky grouse.
Thanks for the heads up. I know a few years ago a buddy shot a bull and when they got to it 45 mins later there was a bear already on the carcass. So if an elk hits the ground that could be an option also. Wish they would hurry and post the leftover deer and elk list.

I have seen bear sign in 55, but sporadic. Have him pick up a small game license and he can hunt grouse and such.

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen bear sign in 55, but sporadic. Have him pick up a small game license and he can hunt grouse and such.
Doesn't he have to buy a small game anyway before he can bear hunt or is that only during the application process?

I'd have him with you until you kill your elk. Once down, wait to see if carcass gets hit (most likely will) and then if in fact it gets hit, go buy the OTC bear tag. Simply buying a bear tag, lugging bow around while you're hunting is a very low probability situation. Probability goes way up once you kill your elk and you have a carcass/bait waiting to be hit. Plus, it could potentially save him money.