Colorado confused

Sorry for the rookie question, but I've never bought a bear tag before so I had no need to learn much about them.

But of course, like most folks, I'm going to spend the $100 "just in case" I see one. Trouble is, other than quartering one and packing it to the truck, I have no idea what to do after that. I understand you have to take the hide in to a check station, correct? I assume that includes the whole head? Also, after reading concerns about trichonosis, I'm a bit concerned about how to handle and prepare the meat. I'm not a trophy hunter and wouldn't plan to do anything with the head/hide, so is that what the bear hide barrels on the side of the highway are for? (saw several of those last year).

Sorry again for all the rookie questions but this is something I know little to nothing about.

Thanks.

sndmn11

WKR
You do not need to take the whole hide, just a portion of it, once it is sealed you can toss it in the trash. You do need the head so they can pull a tooth, then you can toss it in the trash. Evidence of sex requirements are penis, testicles, or vulva....not scrotum, not utters so that is different than other game. Must be attached to a quarter or majority of the carcass. I would call the local office and get the cell numbers of the CPW folks working your unit, they would likely come to you to meet these requirements.

ChrisAU

WKR
You do not need to take the whole hide, just a portion of it, once it is sealed you can toss it in the trash. You do need the head so they can pull a tooth, then you can toss it in the trash. Evidence of sex requirements are penis, testicles, or vulva....not scrotum, not utters so that is different than other game. Must be attached to a quarter or majority of the carcass. I would call the local office and get the cell numbers of the CPW folks working your unit, they would likely come to you to meet these requirements.

Thanks, I had the same questions. The evidence of sex part will definitely have us scratching our heads (having never even seen a wild bear), will have the reg book with us though.

You do need to take the head and hide in unfrozen. You also need evidence of sex on the hide as well as a quarter of meat. Yes after it is sealed you can do what you want with it, including throwing it away.

ChrisAU

WKR
Thankfully we recently changed our plans to allow some time to spend in the city near where we hunt before season, I’ll stop into the CPW office to discuss a few things like I did last year and this year will have this on my list of topics to discuss. It definitely helped last year to clear up some gray areas for a newbie, such as orange requirements and where you can park a vehicle in the NF.

GoChiefs

FNG
I did it last weekend.

Only need the head and the hide. They’ll ask you where the meat is, tell them you ate it raw.
They’ll say they prefer you bring the meat in to check but it’s not required.

Just make sure the top part of your tag is signed and attached to the head/head. (The bottom part is signed and stays with the meat)

Then you’ll show them on a map where you took it. ‘Ol boy will make a joke about hunting your spot, ask for your signature and then kick you in the ass.

PM me with any questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
You do need to take the head and hide in unfrozen. You also need evidence of sex on the hide as well as a quarter of meat. Yes after it is sealed you can do what you want with it, including throwing it away.

I have not come across evidence of sex required on the hide. I was told the opposite that it was not wanted on the hide. I asked because I was hoping the hide would count as a majority of the carcass and I wouldn't need it on any quarters. Can you post a link to the regulation stating evidence of sex on the hide is needed also?

I have not come across evidence of sex required on the hide. I was told the opposite that it was not wanted on the hide. I asked because I was hoping the hide would count as a majority of the carcass and I wouldn't need it on any quarters. Can you post a link to the regulation stating evidence of sex on the hide is needed also?

Every bear I have checked in they have asked to see evidence of sex on the hide when they asked if it was a boar or sow. You also told people on here they don't have to take the whole hide in. Let me know how that works out for you.

sndmn11

WKR
Every bear I have checked in they have asked to see evidence of sex on the hide when they asked if it was a boar or sow. You also told people on here they don't have to take the whole hide in. Let me know how that works out for you.

If you want to PM me I will give you the 3 wildlife managers cell and office numbers who are my customers and you can hear it from the horse's mouth.

I just can't figure out how I can keep evidence of sex naturally attached to the carcass (meat) and the hide at the same time unless I don't skin it, which IMO is improper meat care. I've not yet had one checked in CO.

If you want to PM me I will give you the 3 wildlife managers cell and office numbers who are my customers and you can hear it from the horse's mouth.
Do I even need to bring the hide out if I don't want it? The reg states that it is illegal to posses an unsealed hide but what if I leave it behind with the evidence of sex attached to the meat?

ChrisAU

WKR
Surely they didn't lower the price of tags to try to get more bears taken out but simultaneously require you to bring the whole hide AND skull out? I'll be eating my $100 tag if that's the case.

You only have to keep one testicle attached to the meat the other testicle can be on the hide not really that hard. Yeah if your too lazy to bring a hide and skull out you should probably just eat the tag.

You only have to keep one testicle attached to the meat the other testicle can be on the hide not really that hard. Yeah if your too lazy to bring a hide and skull out you should probably just eat the tag.
I don't keep hides, why should I eat my tag? That's just seems like a rude statement. There isn't any mention that I can see in the Colorado regs that states that hides are to be salvaged. In fact it states that to remove the hide (among other things) without salvaging the carcass is a felony but not vice versa. And the tag needs to stay with the meat until it is processed and consumed. I see a recurring theme that the hide is not the important piece of the puzzle.