Colorado cow first timer

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I've posted on here about wyoming which I still plan to get into the point game there. The itch thou has taken hold a little more and I'm a little to late for Wyoming. I'm highly debating getting on OTC for colorado cow tag. Around the Alamaso area since I have family there. My issue is I've heard the horror stories of way to many people in Colorado. Is it an unrealistic expectation to go to Colorado for a first hunt for a cow or is it still doable despite the people?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you check if cow tags are draw and what the odds were? Never hunted cows in Colorado so I don't know for sure.

Your never going to be able to predict what everyone is going to be doing. Just pick your unit, make a plan add a couple backup plans and hit it.
Good luck

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I have not I've been so focused on wyoming that I havent researched Colorado enough yet. I started my research today on it and plan to go from there. I know that success is completely up to the hunter just dont want to waste time if they are all flocking to private land as soon as the first rifle season rolls around

Phaseolus

WKR
Rifle cow in Colorado is draw only but there are units that usually have leftovers.

As someone stated already Cow Elk hunts are by draw only and you missed the primary draw but there is a secondary draw you might want to check into:

New Secondary Draw – replaces the leftover draw. Secondary draw applications are accepted June 5 – July 7, 8pm Mtn Time.

Paperless Applications

All resident and nonresident applications for all big game (including bighorn sheep, goat and moose) and turkey will only be accepted online or by phone: 1-800-244-5613.

Please reference the 2020-2021 Hunt Planner for further information on season dates and the Colorado Parks & Wildlife – 2020 Big Game Brochure for more information regarding obtaining the correct hunt license.

If you are thinking to hunt Cow Elk near Alamaosa, look on a hunting map and see what Elk hunt units are in that area and what units are available in the secondary draw. Cow tags in general are usually less sought after than bull or either sex tags so I would think you still have a good chance of finding what you are looking for.

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! I did not realize it was draw I'll definitely start researching more now and get a real game plan going and try to get in on the second draw

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
What? Even better. I just started looking into Colorado yesterday so I still have a lot of research to do

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
From my research today unit 80 if I make it is where I'll end up going. On the 3rd rifle season still have to learn more about the cow tags but that unit is closest to family that would be willing to help pack one out with me. If need be I'll get a bull tag but the reduced cost of the cow tag seems like the better bet and would keep the wife happier if I come home unsuccessful. I would love a bull as my first elk but I'm not a horn hunter I'm in it for the meat.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never a bad thing to go learn a unit at reduce cost afterwards you can always buy a bull tag next year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

RCB

WKR
Even if you don’t get a great tag, it’s better than staying home.

cnelk

WKR
Unless you have at least 1-2 Pref Points, you wont draw GMU 80 cow tag for 3rd rifle season.
Same for 2nd season

If you want to hunt elk in GMU 80, OTC Bull is about the only option for 2nd or 3rd season

Bull tags are going to cost a little more, but with an Over the Counter option in the unit you want to hunt, it might be worth it. The success rate isn't great in that unit, so if you're concerned about coming home empty handed, you might consider another nearby unit like 78.

Attachments

• Unit80.png
    Unit80.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Unit78.png
    Unit78.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 21
I figured itd be easier to hunt cows then bulls but I'm not dead set it has to be a cow
I took that approach for 3 straight seasons, and had chip shots at bulls each of those seasons and zero opportunities at cows. I had a 6x6 bull at 70 yards for 20 minutes one day. Hard to believe, but that was the case for me.

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I should quit worrying about the money and just go do it. It all depends on the Corona virus now. My initial plan was to stay with family in Colorado by san Luis but they are elderly and i dont want to take any chances. I'll end up getting a bull tag and take my chances and go solo. Now I got to get started on elk 101.

Fingers crossed - the latest coronavirus forecast I've seen shows it peaking in April and being mostly gone by July. Anyone's guess, but I'm hoping we're on the other side of the pandemic by Elk season.