Colorado Custom Meat Processors

What was the turn around? Just curious if I had to end up shipping it back. Flying out for archery season.
I’m not sure on exacts because I’ve never been concerned about time frame being a local. I know they work their butts off to get orders out for people traveling and I wouldn’t imagine it takes more than a day or two. I think you’d be alright during archery as they shouldn’t be getting bombed with orders like the later rifle seasons but I have a buddy that worked out there last fall and I could get a more solid answer from him if you wanted it.

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure on exacts because I’ve never been concerned about time frame being a local. I know they work their butts off to get orders out for people traveling and I wouldn’t imagine it takes more than a day or two. I think you’d be alright during archery as they shouldn’t be getting bombed with orders like the later rifle seasons but I have a buddy that worked out there last fall and I could get a more solid answer from him if you wanted it.
No that’s fine. Most places have a decent turn around. I see on the website they also ship if needed.

Zbow

FNG
Thanks for the info, hope to fill a tag and use on of those processors.

Update: Elk River Custom Meats in Steamboat does great! I shot a little forky mule deer and had him worked into burger and bacon burger. Got the little velvet antlers worked on at the taxidermy shop next door. 10/10 recommend if you're in the area.

Any reviews of Troublesome Meat this year? It’s been a couple since Ive used them and want to hear reports.

The second link worked, thank you.

Any recommendations on the “Close to Denver” processors?

I’ve used Steve’s and want to go elsewhere.
I've used Steve's for years, and never liked that my burger and sausage meat was batch processed. I work hard to take care of my meat, and don't want it mixed. I've been going to Meat Cleaver since last year, and so far, I'm happy I switched. Service is much more personal. Not as many custom options, but worth it to know my meat I get back is what I put in.

Fair enough. As of 2020 it's under new ownership/management. A good buddy of mine owns it, actually. Young, motivated, stand-up dude who consistently gives back to local conservation orgs. If it's close by and the experience didn't sour you too bad I'd encourage you to try it again.
He did my bear this year, came back great. Also did 30 head of cattle for a friend last year. I got a 1/4 cow of it, and it was, clean, well packaged, and nicely trimmed.

I've used Steve's for years, and never liked that my burger and sausage meat was batch processed. I work hard to take care of my meat, and don't want it mixed. I've been going to Meat Cleaver since last year, and so far, I'm happy I switched. Service is much more personal. Not as many custom options, but worth it to know my meat I get back is what I put in.
Thanks for getting Meat Cleaver on my radar. Looking at their website, nice to see no need for reservations likes Steve’s.

He did my bear this year, came back great. Also did 30 head of cattle for a friend last year. I got a 1/4 cow of it, and it was, clean, well packaged, and nicely trimmed.
That’s great to hear! I hope to be bringing a first rifle bull to him shortly.
Thanks for getting Meat Cleaver on my radar. Looking at their website, nice to see no need for reservations likes Steve’s.
He can do rush orders and the taxi shop next door can turn around a euro in just a few days to avoid shipping costs if you’re a NR. Lucas is a solid guy and the fellas in the shop are just as good.

Last edited:
What’s a bull usually cost for processing? I’ve been processing my own animals just to save money but after this last bull I think I might want to save the time and energy 😆
I usually take care of my backstraps, loins, and rear hams myself, so mines always a partial process of primarily grind meat. I typically do a fair amount of custom grind, so that probably offsets the reduced weight. Last couple have been about $400-600. With 2 little kids, and a vegetarian wife who isn't super keen on turning the kitchen into a butcher shop for more than a day or two.... It's priceless.