Colorado Custom Meat Processors

Ucsdryder

WKR
Apparently they’re under new ownership as of 2020, so this review is no longer applicable…

I would stay far away from Meat Clever in Denver. I got my meat back mislabeled, I had 4 packs of top sirloin (must have been a mutant elk), full of dirt and hair (I take extremely good care of my meat in the field, and lacking any kind of trimming whatsoever.

Last edited:

CoStick

WKR
Unfortunate part is you never know if you are getting your animal with a processor, especially if getting ground or specialty items

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Our group had great results with H&H outside Meeker, labeled all cuts well, they do Euro mount when they process and they were fast we were there during the 4th season and everybody got their meat on the last day of the season.

These guys did great job for me. Had it processed and hard frozen in two days.
The used the brown freezer paper over plastic wrapped cuts of meat. Not shrink wrapped, but they may shrink wrap now.

Address: 1544 Oxbow Dr, Unit 164, Montrose, CO 81401, United States

Phone: +1 970 249 0866

bat-cave

WKR
The second link worked, thank you.

Any recommendations on the “Close to Denver” processors?

I’ve used Steve’s and want to go elsewhere.
I switched from Steve's to Rocky Mountain Meats in Wheatridge a few years back. Significantly less expensive and you get your own animal back. Steaks come back in a matter of days, but you will have to wait a bit longer for sausage and such. Not a big deal IMHO, just an FYI.

Steve's has better jerky, I don't love the jerky from Rocky Mtn Meats. Otherwise, I think Rocky Mtn is equal or better to Steve's ... especially since they offer Andouille sausage as an option! :)

wildcat33

WKR
Ive used both RockyMtn/5280/Wheatridge Poultry (not sure what its called now) and Steve's. RockyMtn did a poor job for me (ground all my steaks) went back to steves have found lead multiple times in my batch (and I shoot copper). So Im looking for something new.

Troublesome meat in kremmling has always done nice work for me. They can get pretty busy during the rifle seasons though
They have some good prices. Will they make sausage or brats? I guess I could just get a lot grinded and then make my own? I may end up at Brothers in Craig.

I would stay far away from Meat Clever in Denver. I got my meat back mislabeled, I had 4 packs of top sirloin (must have been a mutant elk), full of dirt and hair (I take extremely good care of my meat in the field, and lacking any kind of trimming whatsoever.
Mind sharing what year this was?

2019. In 2020 I decided to do it myself because of that experience.
Fair enough. As of 2020 it's under new ownership/management. A good buddy of mine owns it, actually. Young, motivated, stand-up dude who consistently gives back to local conservation orgs. If it's close by and the experience didn't sour you too bad I'd encourage you to try it again.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Fair enough. As of 2020 it's under new ownership/management. A good buddy of mine owns it, actually. Young, motivated, stand-up dude who consistently gives back to local conservation orgs. If it's close by and the experience didn't sour you too bad I'd encourage you to try it again.
Thank you for posting this. I’ll keep this experience to myself now! I’ll never go back to a butcher now that I’ve realized how easy it is!

I used elk river custom meats in steamboat. No problems with the processing.
If you are looking at having products made I'd haul it home to have them made.
Okay, I have just looked on FB and they didn't have the best reviews. Was kind of on the fence. Do you haul yours all the way back to VA as well? Or do you get it shipped typically?

Okay, I have just looked on FB and they didn't have the best reviews. Was kind of on the fence. Do you haul yours all the way back to VA as well? Or do you get it shipped typically?

I have hauled it. Lately just take a freezer and bring it back to have processed here. However you could just take your meat to a processor, have the steaks processed and have them freeze everything else in a cooler for you. Tape the cooler up and you should be fine for the trip home.

The hauling a mid sized chest freezer just allowed us to handle everything ourselves rather than deal with getting the meat somewhere. I generally like to age it in coolers as much as possible before freezing, but time is a lot of times not on your side with this.

It was last year we used Elk River, had two elk processed there, it was kinda an exception to what I have done last 5 years or so of bringing it back deboned.

I have hauled it. Lately just take a freezer and bring it back to have processed here. However you could just take your meat to a processor, have the steaks processed and have them freeze everything else in a cooler for you. Tape the cooler up and you should be fine for the trip home.

The hauling a mid sized chest freezer just allowed us to handle everything ourselves rather than deal with getting the meat somewhere. I generally like to age it in coolers as much as possible before freezing, but time is a lot of times not on your side with this.
Was also considering hauling a freezer. I am taking my mule and donk so I might as well throw a small generator and chest freezer in the trailer. I have a processor here that will do most of what I want. I just want to try and get brats and some good sausage out of it.

Was also considering hauling a freezer. I am taking my mule and donk so I might as well throw a small generator and chest freezer in the trailer. I have a processor here that will do most of what I want. I just want to try and get brats and some good sausage out of it.

I have found the cost to be much less here than there, and considering they don't need to have it done in a few days I get it. If you are hauling livestock out I'd find room for a 4' freezer.

Only issue is if you freeze things in the freezer, then need to unpack it to load it, it's a 3d origami puzzle. So pay attention, and line the inside with cardboard to help prevent sticking.

Depends on where you are, I have a local guy here that's does excellent brats and processed products.

They have some good prices. Will they make sausage or brats? I guess I could just get a lot grinded and then make my own? I may end up at Brothers in Craig.
Unfortunately they don’t do anything with casings. For specialty items they offer lose ground breakfast and Italian sausage and bacon burger I believe