Colorado Cylinder Stoves

thillman

FNG
Does anyone have any experiences with the Colorado Spruce Stove? Looking to put one in a Kodiak 10x14. Or stove recommendations all together. Also on another note what is your experience with silicon stove jacks such as the winnerwell and canvas camp. Thanks!

LaHunter

WKR
I have used Colorado Cylinder stoves for several years, but not the Spruce model specifically. I have been using their largest stove for years and it has done well. Their quality is very good and their customer service has been very good, in my experience. I have been happy with them and if I buy another wood burning stove, it will likely be a Colorado Cylinder brand. One thing to keep in mind, a smaller stove just can't burn as long as a larger stove, it just doesn't have the wood capacity. I would err on the side of larger vs smaller. A larger stove will consume more room in your tent, but that is the trade off. Also, most all of my western hunting has been in mid-late October, so the weather can get extremely cold during this time.

OP
thillman

thillman

FNG
I have used Colorado Cylinder stoves for several years, but not the Spruce model specifically. I have been using their largest stove for years and it has done well. Their quality is very good and their customer service has been very good, in my experience. I have been happy with them and if I buy another wood burning stove, it will likely be a Colorado Cylinder brand. One thing to keep in mind, a smaller stove just can't burn as long as a larger stove, it just doesn't have the wood capacity. I would err on the side of larger vs smaller. A larger stove will consume more room in your tent, but that is the trade off. Also, most all of my western hunting has been in mid-late October, so the weather can get extremely cold during this time.
Thanks for the reply. Kinda figured i'd go with the middle of the road stove and save some space to squeeze three guys in a 10x14 if needed. Most of my hunts are early - mid october and then if I can squeeze the time off, again in December. Do you use the nested stove pipe or the straight wall?

OP
thillman

thillman

FNG
I'm in the same "predicament" with a Kodiak 10x14. I'd prefer the wood pellet, or the Nu Way 4000 propane vs the wood stove. I'd like to think that some of the problems relative to smaller wood or pellet stoves, as well as the Nu Way propane can be mitigated by insulating the interior of the tent or sectioning off the sleeping areas while asleep rather than using a larger wood burning stove. The pellet stove is more expensive, but you do have the option of burning wood as well, if pellets aren't available....Just my, not so humble opinion....🐻
I have also seen people modify cylinder stoves online that have attached a wood pellet hopper/burner to the rear of the stove which may give you the best of both worlds when needed. Not sure how much the attachment would cost though.

LaHunter

WKR
Thanks for the reply. Kinda figured i'd go with the middle of the road stove and save some space to squeeze three guys in a 10x14 if needed. Most of my hunts are early - mid october and then if I can squeeze the time off, again in December. Do you use the nested stove pipe or the straight wall?
I use the nested stove pipe

I have the Colorado Cylinder Stoves Spruce with water tank. They're fine stoves and I find them to be at or near the very top of the heap quality wise. Also I met the owners of the company and they are real nice people. I highly recommend

CO-AJ

WKR
I was thinking lightweight stove for a backpack hunt. In which case I am looking at the Seek Outside or Winnerwell titanium stoves.

OP
thillman

thillman

FNG
I was thinking lightweight stove for a backpack hunt. In which case I am looking at the Seek Outside or Winnerwell titanium stoves.
I have a 3W wood stove from luxe hiking gear. Its the cheaper version of the above stoves but seemed to work fairly well the number of times I used it last season.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the spruce model of colorado cylinder stoves and am very happy with it.
Get the nested pipe; everything needed fits inside the stove for storage/transport.
It's an awesome stove, the folks I dealt with on the phone were great.
Love a compact wood stove in a wall tent; just seems right.

mainbeam pursuit2

Lil-Rokslider
The Colorado cylinder stoves are as good as it gets in my opinion. We have two of the largest model that work very well, would buy another if i needed another stove. I've been to their shop to pick a stove up, great people to deal with.

OP
thillman

thillman

FNG
Ended up with the Spruce model. It was used in my kodiak canvas 10x14 this October in Wyoming. Worked very well, almost too well.

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up with the Spruce model. It was used in my kodiak canvas 10x14 this October in Wyoming. Worked very well, almost too well.

hey- I’m looking at stove options for my Kodiak. do you have any pictures of your setup?

OP
thillman

thillman

FNG
hey- I’m looking at stove options for my Kodiak. do you have any pictures of your setup?
Here are a couple pictures. I definitely would go with the smallest option they have which is the Mesa I believe. I could fit a extra large size cot and a normal size cot inside no issues.

Attachments

• 4A6058D5-9022-4207-9DA5-1D0FC82E653C.jpeg
    4A6058D5-9022-4207-9DA5-1D0FC82E653C.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 788A0462-10D9-4F89-A1D9-32711992AD08.jpeg
    788A0462-10D9-4F89-A1D9-32711992AD08.jpeg
    623.5 KB · Views: 71
  • F33D376B-BB0D-468A-843D-527CB6D604D4.jpeg
    F33D376B-BB0D-468A-843D-527CB6D604D4.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 70

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a couple pictures. I definitely would go with the smallest option they have which is the Mesa I believe. I could fit a extra large size cot and a normal size cot inside no issues.
Interesting. are you happy with your stove jack in the roof, as apposed to the sidewall?

OP
thillman

thillman

FNG
I like having it in the roof but now that I’ve used it I think I would rather have the stove jack in the sidewall. I just got nervous having the stove pipe that close to the wall of the tent.
Interesting. are you happy with your stove jack in the roof, as apposed to the sidewall?

prevail

FNG
@thillman

Sorry for raising this post from the dead. What was the outside temperature on your trip to Wyoming? Why would you suggest the smaller Mesa stove over the Spruce?

Asking as I have the same tent and about to make the same purchase. I'll be using the stove in CO in November so am leaning toward the larger stove. Any feedback you can provide is much appreciated.

OP
thillman

thillman

FNG
@thillman

Sorry for raising this post from the dead. What was the outside temperature on your trip to Wyoming? Why would you suggest the smaller Mesa stove over the Spruce?

Asking as I have the same tent and about to make the same purchase. I'll be using the stove in CO in November so am leaning toward the larger stove. Any feedback you can provide is much appreciated.
So in Wyoming it got down to the mid to low 30's around 4500 feet but then up in the mountains it was in the twenties some nights.

I think the larger stove allows the tent I have to get too hot too quick and then due to the large size of the stove does not allow a bed of coals to build up. I find that what little coals are left burn up at a pretty rapid rate. I think maybe having a smaller stove would allow me to burn a little slower and build a solid bed of coals to retain some heat.

EdP

WKR
The outfitter on my MD hunt last fall used these, both in the sleeping tents and the cooking tent and dining tent. They worked well. They didn't have a door gasket so were not airtight like a 4 Dog, but still seemed to hold a fire well when turned down. I had a 2 Dog steel stove that I liked a lot but all I see on their website now is Ti stoves.

prevail

FNG
So in Wyoming it got down to the mid to low 30's around 4500 feet but then up in the mountains it was in the twenties some nights.

I think the larger stove allows the tent I have to get too hot too quick and then due to the large size of the stove does not allow a bed of coals to build up. I find that what little coals are left burn up at a pretty rapid rate. I think maybe having a smaller stove would allow me to burn a little slower and build a solid bed of coals to retain some heat.

Thanks for the additional information!