Colorado deer 2021 (8 points)

Hi there guys. I’ve got 8 points for Colorado deer and I have decided that I’m not waiting any longer. I’m kind of stuck in no man’s land with 8 points. I’m never going to catch the premier units and I’ve got too many points for lesser units (tongue in cheek statement). I’ve narrowed my choices to these units.

Unit 6 - 3rd rifle

Unit 53 - 2nd rifle

Unit 66 - 2nd rifle

Unit 44 - 2nd rifle

Unit 68 - 3rd rifle

I’ve killed Mule deer bucks in the 120’s and 130’s in Wyoming and New Mexico. I’d love an opportunity at a buck in the 160’s or higher. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to send a PM if you don’t want to discuss on the board.

Little background info
Live in South Florida, so scouting is difficult. Also, looking only for DIY options. I’d rather get skunked on a DIY hunt than rely on an outfitter. Not criticizing anyone’s hunting philosophy, just like DIY stuff.

Thanks so much and good luck this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

street

WKR
IMO, if you pick a 2nd, go next year for the latest dates to up your odds on weather+rut.

Extrapale

WKR
Lots of roads in 66 where the deer will be that time of year. Lots of sage to glass. Not my cup of tea with all the access, but lots of guys like it. A 160 should be a slam dunk with the dates next year.

2019 last day buck.

8a5b3b79aee3b927f9aa1084d8701958.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I realistically do not think you will be able to draw any of those units. There is going to be a ton of people cashing in their points in 2021. Point creep is going to be unreal next year.

I would be looking at units that took 3-6 point in 2020 for 3rd season. Otherwise I doubt you will draw. If you hunt hard in basically any unit next year you have the potential to kill a 160"+ buck. All units have big deer in them, just some units have more big deer than others thus making them more desirable.

Next year is going to be the year of the giants in Colorado. 4th season is going to turn out some studs. I look forward to seeing it.

Come on out! You should have a great time. Hopefully with some hard work and dedication you will get yourself a trophy.

You can message me if you want to discuss further.

Vids

WKR
I'm in the same boat, cashing in my 7 points next year. I have a couple units in mind that I won't share publicly but you can PM me to discuss if you want. Honestly, I would look at 3rd season. I've found that 2nd season can be tough with the bucks still cruising the timber and not quite in full rut mode yet.

Scorpion

WKR
Of the units listed, I’d consider 53 and 66. Don’t have much experience with the others. There are big deer in every unit in Colorado, some just have more than others. If your goal is 160” or better you should be able to find that in almost every unit, including those not listed.

Do some e-scouting and see which units have the most desirable terrain for you. Much of 53 is rough and rugged. 66 is a little easier with generally better access. No experience with private.

Jd259

WKR
I’m headin to 66 next week to hunt second season I’d be happy to report back with ya as to how it goes, my bar is set a little higher than your’s I’d like 180+ And I know their in there but I think the weather is going to make a guy have to work for it pretty hard this year I think, that’s always the crapshoot with second season in co.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I realistically do not think you will be able to draw any of those units. There is going to be a ton of people cashing in their points in 2021. Point creep is going to be unreal next year.

I would be looking at units that took 3-6 point in 2020 for 3rd season. Otherwise I doubt you will draw. If you hunt hard in basically any unit next year you have the potential to kill a 160"+ buck. All units have big deer in them, just some units have more big deer than others thus making them more desirable.

Next year is going to be the year of the giants in Colorado. 4th season is going to turn out some studs. I look forward to seeing it.

Come on out! You should have a great time. Hopefully with some hard work and dedication you will get yourself a trophy.

You can message me if you want to discuss further.
Just curious what makes 2021 the year that a ton of folks are cashing in their points?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Latest November Season dates in the history of deer hunting there in the 21 century if not ever.

Just curious what makes 2021 the year that a ton of folks are cashing in their points?

The CPW changed the season dates in the new 5 year big game structure plan. In 2021, 3rd season date are 11/13-11/19 that is typically when 4th season typically would be, and 4th season dates 11/24-11/28 are the latest they have been in a long time if ever. Had they not changed season dates then 3rd season would have been 11/6-11/14 and 4th season would have been 11/17-11/21. So the seasons have been kicked back a week. A week might not seem like much but that week puts more hunting days within the rut.

So that is why I believe there will be a lot of people cashing in their points. Hoping the big deer will be on their feet more chasing does in legal shooting hours. Since this will be the first time in a long time they will be chased this late in the year the deer wont be as leery.

As mentioned by another poster above the CPW is trying to curb chronic wasting disease by removing the older buck class. The CPW is going to deny this being the reason but at the heart of it that is why the season date changes. The later in the year the better the chance for big deer to be killed. We will see how it all plays out for the herds. There is nothing to do now except sit back and see where the dust settles.

Why are you looking forward to it? I think it is the stupidest thing CPW can do. Why they want to slaughter our mature deer for the sake of CWD is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Better enjoy these next couple years because after that we will be no better than Utah in our quality.

Whether or not you agree with the CPW there is nothing that can be done about it now. Might as well participate if you can. Try and capitalize on the opportunity you were given. Because if you try and be holier than thou and boycott hunting I guarantee you there are 10 people who will take your place in line.

To answer your question more specifically, I enjoy seeing legal hunters killing high scoring animals. I do not fault the hunter. I congratulate the hunter. Though I might call them a lucky SOB at the same time. So if our deer herd quality diminishes then it is what it is. But I will never fault my fellow hunters for going out and doing what they love even if it meant slaughtering our big deer. It'll just be another one of those things we will talk about "back in the good old days".

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming seasons this year and the years to come!

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha that does make sense for deer points. I have heard several people saying that CO point creep is going through the roof next year and that everyone will want to spend all their points for elk and pronghorn as well so I just wanted to understand the logic. Never made sense to me on pronghorn the seasons haven't changed in years.

Gotcha that does make sense for deer points. I have heard several people saying that CO point creep is going through the roof next year and that everyone will want to spend all their points for elk and pronghorn as well so I just wanted to understand the logic. Never made sense to me on pronghorn the seasons haven't changed in years.

Yeah I do not see any reason why these changes would make someone more inclined to use their elk or pronghorn points.

OP
RogerSanchez
I’m headin to 66 next week to hunt second season I’d be happy to report back with ya as to how it goes, my bar is set a little higher than your’s I’d like 180+ And I know their in there but I think the weather is going to make a guy have to work for it pretty hard this year I think, that’s always the crapshoot with second season in co.
Thanks! Good luck. I'd love to hear about your hunt

I dont know but what I do know is that I hope the top point holders start burning their points. I need them the hell out of my way. Not a trickle effect.

The CPW changed the season dates in the new 5 year big game structure plan. In 2021, 3rd season date are 11/13-11/19 that is typically when 4th season typically would be, and 4th season dates 11/24-11/28 are the latest they have been in a long time if ever. Had they not changed season dates then 3rd season would have been 11/6-11/14 and 4th season would have been 11/17-11/21. So the seasons have been kicked back a week. A week might not seem like much but that week puts more hunting days within the rut.

So that is why I believe there will be a lot of people cashing in their points. Hoping the big deer will be on their feet more chasing does in legal shooting hours. Since this will be the first time in a long time they will be chased this late in the year the deer wont be as leery.

As mentioned by another poster above the CPW is trying to curb chronic wasting disease by removing the older buck class. The CPW is going to deny this being the reason but at the heart of it that is why the season date changes. The later in the year the better the chance for big deer to be killed. We will see how it all plays out for the herds. There is nothing to do now except sit back and see where the dust settles.

Whether or not you agree with the CPW there is nothing that can be done about it now. Might as well participate if you can. Try and capitalize on the opportunity you were given. Because if you try and be holier than thou and boycott hunting I guarantee you there are 10 people who will take your place in line.

To answer your question more specifically, I enjoy seeing legal hunters killing high scoring animals. I do not fault the hunter. I congratulate the hunter. Though I might call them a lucky SOB at the same time. So if our deer herd quality diminishes then it is what it is. But I will never fault my fellow hunters for going out and doing what they love even if it meant slaughtering our big deer. It'll just be another one of those things we will talk about "back in the good old days".

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming seasons this year and the years to come!
Never said I was boycotting it. Of course my kids and I will be participating and getting ours since that tags are given out. Just disappointed that this is CPWs approach to deer management. Like I said enjoy the next couple years because after that it won't be good.

Squatch89

FNG
Would also like to hear how you did this year considering 66 as well

Khasburgh

FNG
I’m in a similar situation for 2021, I have 9 points and am considering 66 for muzzleloader or 2nd rifle. Jd259 I would be curious to hear how your 2020 second rifle season went for you.
Any info anyone would like to share just to learn more about Unit 66 would be appreciated.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Back to the OP and the original question...I’d be trying to avoid any unit that has OTC elk in it.

Less dudes in the woods pushing shit around.