Colorado Democrats Drop their Sponsorship on Bill to Ban Big Cat Hunting

Three of the four sponsors for SB22-031 quickly dropped their support after wildlife management scientists, ranchers, advocacy groups, and other politicians opposed it.

The bill proposed bans on shooting, wounding, hunting, and trapping the Canada Lynx, Mountain Lion, and Bobcat. It did leave exceptions for private land owners to protect livestock and for the general public for personal protection.

The timing of the bill’s introduction came just days after rancher Don Gittleson from Jackson County lost two cows last month to wolves he caught on game cameras trolling his property. This added fuel to an ongoing conflict between animal rights activists and conservationists regarding predator management.

In 2020 Colorado voted yes on an initiative to re-introduce wolves by 2023. According to Colorado Parks & Wildlife and ranchers on the western slope, natural wolf migration from Wyoming has been a growing concern for the past few years.

Sen. Joann Ginal (D), a Reproductive Endocrinologist from Larimer District 14, made a statement regarding her support withdrawal.

“I have long stood up for animal rights at the legislature, and I am committed to following the science and ensuring that we manage Colorado’s wildlife in a way that works for everyone, including the animals themselves. SB22-031 does not have the support from folks on the ground which is why I am pulling my support from the bill. The bill needs further discussion from all who would be impacted. We need to make sure that Colorado’s wildlife is managed responsibly while following the best possible science.”mountain lion .jpg

The last line: "We need to make sure that Colorado wildlife is managed responsibly while following the best possible science."

That's a de facto statement, in my opinion, that says those two aren't the same thing. The Senator was willing to remove responsible management that is already based on the science by supporting the bill and putting her name on it. Did she just learn responsible science-based management is actually a thing in the last month or so?

Colorado has become a state where the population centers are making decisions and don't have a clue or a desire to understand what goes outside of their streets and buildings.

OP
FullSkipChain
All four women who sponsored the bill are from the Front Range and two are from Boulder. One is a Pharmacist, one in an Endocrinologist, one is an MBA, and the other worked for a Dentist Office in an unspecified capacity.

This is not shocking to me because I did a Legislative Internship my freshman year of college, but I don't think the general population knows that the majority of people proposing laws don't have a background or education in the very things those laws affect.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I sent a personal email to one of them throwing their parties war drum slogan back in their face. The whole pandemic they have been bitching about science, so I asked the congresswoman to show she believes in science and let biologists manage wildlife

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
the majority of people proposing laws don't have a background or education in the very things those laws affect.
This is so true. Many people have an overabundance of confidence in what they know, or I should say what they think they know. Also, the overload of "information" that is available today is too often mistaken for knowledge.

TheGDog

WKR
The last line: "We need to make sure that Colorado wildlife is managed responsibly while following the best possible science."

That's a de facto statement, in my opinion, that says those two aren't the same thing. The Senator was willing to remove responsible management that is already based on the science by supporting the bill and putting her name on it. Did she just learn responsible science-based management is actually a thing in the last month or so?

Colorado has become a state where the population centers are making decisions and don't have a clue or a desire to understand what goes outside of their streets and buildings.

Welcome to "Commiefornia". The antiacids are over on aisle 11.

TheGDog

WKR
My concern moving forward is they will make it a ballot issue here in Colorado.
Yes... they will.. and.. the same type of numb nutts people like there are in CA. Who seldom venture out into our beautiful backcountry, will all vote for it too.

And THIS... is why it's soo important when people in one state cry out for help, that the citizens and bodies in other states pipe up to exert pressure and help them too. Otherwise it's just Commiefornia all over again. And the infected thinking spreads.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
Too bad the article wasn't about someone against cutting back on the numbers of cougars close to humans getting taken away by one of them.