Colorado Draw help

I have a trip planned with some friends to Unit 75/751 for otc elk this fall and I'm trying to draw a mule deer tag. Should I don't understand the draw odds for 2nd choice and was curious if anyone would offer any advice. I have 0 points so I don't know if I should just use my 1rst choice on this unit or buy a point and use this as a second choice. I would rather Mule deer hunt and save the OTC elk tag for when I get better acquainted to the area. I'm going to be buying a point for elk regardless I just don't know which I should do as far as the mule deer draw this year. I know I have limited time left to get in the draw so if by the end of the weekend I don't have it figured out I will just use it as my first preference.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,

In 2021, non-resident applicants with 0 points had less than 100% odds of drawing archery, second, or third season rifle tags.

You will have to apply as a first choice to have a chance at drawing during an OTC elk season.

OP
H
In 2021, non-resident applicants with 0 points had less than 100% odds of drawing archery, second, or third season rifle tags.

You will have to apply as a first choice to have a chance at drawing during an OTC elk season.
Thank you so much i thought this was the case but i also didn't want to waste the opportunity for a point and still get to hunt.

The only OTC elk tags offered for unit 75/751 are for 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons. Your best chance of getting a deer tag for that unit during that timeframe is to apply for a 2nd season buck tag as your first choice. 84% of non-residents with 0 preference points drew that tag last year. Second choice tags are only awarded if the tag quota isn't reached during the first choice draw; nobody got a 75/751 2nd/3rd season deer tag last year as a second choice.

Below are relevant pages from the 2021 draw recap report:
Screenshot_20220317-120305_Drive~2.jpg
Screenshot_20220317-120349_Drive~2.jpg

OP
H
The only OTC elk tags offered for unit 75/751 are for 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons. Your best chance of getting a deer tag for that unit during that timeframe is to apply for a 2nd season buck tag as your first choice. 84% of non-residents with 0 preference points drew that tag last year. Second choice tags are only awarded if the tag quota isn't reached during the first choice draw; nobody got a 75/751 2nd/3rd season deer tag last year as a second choice.

View attachment 392092
View attachment 392091
Thank you for your response I really appreciate this. I did my best to find this information on my own but never could seem to find if any second choice tags were awarded.

utahkid39

FNG
I hunted that unit 2 seasons ago when you could draw it as a second choice, don't think you can draw it second choice anymore. We killed a decent buck and should have bought an elk tag but didn't. We did end up seeing a pretty decent bull we could have killed. if you want to draw the tag you will need to apply as a first choice

OP
H
I hunted that unit 2 seasons ago when you could draw it as a second choice, don't think you can draw it second choice anymore. We killed a decent buck and should have bought an elk tag but didn't. We did end up seeing a pretty decent bull we could have killed. if you want to draw the tag you will need to apply as a first choice
Yeah the guys I'm going with hunt out there every other year but elk. They have seen decent bucks while in there. Seems elk are hit or miss in the area depending on weather. So i thought id take advantage of their knowledge and use a mule deer hunt to learn the area, while sharing a camp and splitting fuel costs. Don't care about killing a trophy just want to see deer and learn the country. I may still buy an otc elk tag if i draw the deer but i doubt it.

svivian

WKR

View attachment 392092
View attachment 392091
How dare you post information that can be easily found by the public on the website of the managing agency. How will GOHunt make money!?

OP
H
How dare you post information that can be easily found by the public on the website of the managing agency. How will GOHunt make money!?
I feel like an idiot i was on that cpw site several times before posting my question but i kept going to the draw results tab instead of hunting statistics tab. I got frustrated and wasn't going to pay for gohunt so i thought this was my best option. Thanks to Mighty Mouse i found the error in my ways and now know how to navigate the site much better.

Prestjd

FNG
I have a trip planned with some friends to Unit 75/751 for otc elk this fall and I'm trying to draw a mule deer tag. Should I don't understand the draw odds for 2nd choice and was curious if anyone would offer any advice. I have 0 points so I don't know if I should just use my 1rst choice on this unit or buy a point and use this as a second choice. I would rather Mule deer hunt and save the OTC elk tag for when I get better acquainted to the area. I'm going to be buying a point for elk regardless I just don't know which I should do as far as the mule deer draw this year. I know I have limited time left to get in the draw so if by the end of the weekend I don't have it figured out I will just use it as my first preference.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
I have a couple friends that put in with me muzzleloader for mulies this fall in the same area. We have not been to this unit before. Feel free to pm me. I don't mind bouncing some ideas.

OP
H
My friend and I both ended up drawing second season Mule deer tags for 75/751. Now its just about getting in better shape and finalizing my pack list. Thank you to everyone that replied to this post. I appreciate the help.