Colorado Draw Question

gsimmons2

FNG
I have read through the regs and looked over the forums and still can’t find a for sure answer.

I drew an archery elk tag with 0 points but did not draw my deer tag. If I end up drawing a deer tag in the secondary draw can I return my elk tag and get my preference point for this year or no?

Shaun2390

Lil-Rokslider
I think by my understanding is that you can return the elk tag but in order to keep the preference point you will not be refunded. I may be wrong but that how I read it.

I have read through the regs and looked over the forums and still can’t find a for sure answer.

I drew an archery elk tag with 0 points but did not draw my deer tag. If I end up drawing a deer tag in the secondary draw can I return my elk tag and get my preference point for this year or no?
I don't believe you gain a point when you turn in your tag. Only if unsuccessful for your first choice. You can turn in the tag and get a refund or preference points reinstated. But since you drew with zero points you might as well get the refund if you turn it back in.

There were 51,999 more deer applicants for 2021. According to the draw report there are only 8,840 tags remaining after the primary draw. Quickly skimming through the draw report it looks like a good portion of them are private land only or in units that don't have much public land at all.

Also the secondary draw is 100% lottery. Wouldn't get my hopes up in drawing a tag especially an antlered tag.

There were 51,999 more deer applicants for 2021. According to the draw report there are only 8,840 tags remaining after the primary draw. Quickly skimming through the draw report it looks like a good portion of them are private land only or in units that don't have much public land at all.

Also the secondary draw is 100% lottery. Wouldn't get my hopes up in drawing a tag especially an antlered tag.
Do you know how many more elk applicants for 2021 vs 2020?

cnelk

WKR
Do you know how many more elk applicants for 2021 vs 2020?

54,050 more applicants - includes Res / NonRes and youth for both

Edit: ^^^ This was for all 4 Choices

2021 Total 1st Choice - 246,589
2020 Total 1st Choice - 213,210

33,379 more in 2021

Last edited:

ericF

WKR

Also what many people may not realize is that youth have 100% priority in the secondary draw. So your already slim chances basically disappear.

The new system provides preference for youth hunters. Youth hunters have 100% preference in the secondary draw. What does this mean? The secondary draw processes all youth application choices prior to processing adult choices. A hunt could be completely drawn by youth before the adult application stage of the draw.