Colorado Draw Recap Report Review

Put in for a unit that takes more points than you have is equivalent to putting in for a preference point. Maybe they figure, what the hell. In the end it isn’t wasting 100 dollars, it’s buying a point.
Yeah, I know, but still seems dumb to me. IMO, Just put in for the PP. Sad thing is if you assume they will keep putting in for that unit, It's going to take a lot more than 2pp in the future.

I think in the next few years, you are going to see more people burn points in CO and Wyoming if they use to hunt other states that are no longer guaranteed and they can't get a tag. If I use to hunt Montana every year but now I can't get a tag and I wanna hunt elk, I might be willing to burn 10 points on a 5 point unit just to hunt elk... it will be interesting

They have wolves in WY and can’t seem to draw there either.
The animals in Colorado are not adapted to wolves and haven't been for 100+ years. It's going to be a blood bath.

So if you are sitting on 20pp in Colorado you are still 6-7 Years out from drawing the top units. Do you wait and see if there are any high caliber animals left when it is your turn? Or do you jump in to a "lesser unit" and hope you can kill a good representative for that unit?

Most are going to jump

CoStick

WKR
I think in the next few years, you are going to see more people burn points in CO and Wyoming if they use to hunt other states that are no longer guaranteed and they can't get a tag. If I use to hunt Montana every year but now I can't get a tag and I wanna hunt elk, I might be willing to burn 10 points on a 5 point unit just to hunt elk... it will be interesting
Good point

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have 18 deer points and I would gladly use them on a 0-1 point unit if I had exclusive access to a large private ranch east of Trinidad in rim rock country.

But ya, lots of folks are burning points these days......even on cow tags. Meat is getting expensive, they need to fill their freezer.

Seth

WKR
Some of the NR blowing through points may be like my younger brother. He began chasing a unit as a resident, moved into NM, and still chased that unit. Point creep outpaced him and he tired of sitting with no tag while his family hunts an easy draw unit nearly every year. He burned his points this year so he can also hunt more often.

You will see more of this with the SW units that went to draw for archery. This year, many who put in as a second choice didn’t draw. Folks used to saving points and hunting their backyard every year will start burning to continue hunting locally.

CoStick

WKR
Some of the NR blowing through points may be like my younger brother. He began chasing a unit as a resident, moved into NM, and still chased that unit. Point creep outpaced him and he tired of sitting with no tag while his family hunts an easy draw unit nearly every year. He burned his points this year so he can also hunt more often.

You will see more of this with the SW units that went to draw for archery. This year, many who put in as a second choice didn’t draw. Folks used to saving points and hunting their backyard every year will start burning to continue hunting locally.
I burned 4-5 points on elk tag that draws with zero a few years ago to hunt with my father in law. Somebody dropped 15 on it this year:)

CJF

WKR
My theory is after that 2018-2021 the point creep curve got real steep and a lot of people realized that the tag they though they would get a shot in in 5-7 years just became 12-15 years and either A) they just didn't feel like waiting that long for a tag or B) they didn't think they would be healthy enough (old age) to make that hunt in 12-15 years so they went ahead and burned their points on something else.

Wheels

WKR
Wouldn’t surprise me if those people had a service like Cabela’s Tags or some other service put in for them and screwed their application up. Seen it happen before.