Colorado early rifle advice

Planning my first ever hunt in co. I’ve done numerous backpack hunts in wy but looking forward to hunting co, I’ll be heading out this year in late August to scout in the holy cross wilderness. The area peaks out between 12,000-14000 ft and looks extremely rocky. What elevations should I expect to find bucks? And can I expect to find them in the rocks? There is also a lot of hiking traffic in this unit. How much will the hiking traffic impact the deer. Also any advice on vegetation or other thing to look for while looking for deer in the area would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any advice.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
They can’t live in rocks like goats. They will be in the green country. Now it will be rocky, but still with feed.
If the hiking trail is right through the deer country, hikers will have some impact.
A lot of that country does not hold bucks so be sure and cover ground. That’s what I know, no PMs asking for more please.
Ask the guys on MM too. They might beat you up a little bit, but I’ve seen posts on the Holy Cross over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always wanted to hunt there. Never have though. I’ll send you a PM with a few thoughts.

OP
flatlander51
They can’t live in rocks like goats. They will be in the green country. Now it will be rocky, but still with feed.
If the hiking trail is right through the deer country, hikers will have some impact.
A lot of that country does not hold bucks so be sure and cover ground. That’s what I know, no PMs asking for more please.
Ask the guys on MM too. They might beat you up a little bit, but I’ve seen posts on the Holy Cross over there.

Thanks for your reply Robby!

Jimss

WKR
As RD mentioned in his post above expect to cover lots of country to find the few bucks that exist. It can get somewhat frustrating at times seeing few to 0 deer! You can expect to see gobs of weekend warriors on trails during weekends....especially trails that lead to lakes. Sometimes bucks hang out close to trails but for the most part its best to cover country and figure out what particular areas, feed, bedding areas, etc they tend to concentrate. If you can figure this out you can eliminate a lot of country without bucks.

You may want to keep in mind that where you find bucks in August likely won't be where they are as soon as they shed their velvet and/or it possibly snows. Bucks often move down into the trees and hide out until deep snow and the rut push them down to the winter ranges. The early rifle hunts can be feast or famine depending upon the weather and opening season dates.

jolemons

WKR
I helped my brother on this hunt a few years ago. It sounded great, in theory, but the reality was almost no deer above timberline. Neither of us would do it again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WKR
Ahh I have been building points for this hunt but it seems to be not as good as reported. I have never hunted mule deer above the timberline. When is the casual date that they lose their velvet and bachelor groups and drop down?

OP
flatlander51
Yea I’m at 5 points as well, and based off what I’m hearing I’m second guessing burning my points in this area. I’m just hoping it’s not an awesome hunt and no one wants to let the cat out of the bag.

jolemons

WKR
If you're wanting to chase muleys above timberline, use those points on an archery hunt in a good unit. My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Slapshot

FNG
flatlander51, How did your scouting trip go?

I have been over to the HCW a few times already this summer, and am planning to spend quite a few days over there in August.

Thanks!

HNTR918

WKR
Would there be any chance of deer above treeline for the early rifle season from Oct 1-9?
Would they remain higher with no snowfall/warm temps?
Would they be in the trees and sage transition areas with snow/cold temps?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Would there be any chance of deer above treeline for the early rifle season from Oct 1-9?
Would they remain higher with no snowfall/warm temps?
Would they be in the trees and sage transition areas with snow/cold temps?

Possibly but I’m scratching my head at those dates. Early rifle is September. Maybe I’m behind new dates.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK thanks for the clarification. I thought you meant in the Holy Cross? Anyway, I would imagine if it was below 12,000 feet there would be a chance that they could be there in early October as long as big snow hasn’t hit. But I’m only taking a poke in the dark at this one, because I have not been in any of those units. Any Colorado guys know any better?