Colorado Elk 1st Rifle Unit 18 / 181

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody else dumb enough to pull this tag this year?

Hunt Code:
EE018O1R

Species:
Elk- Either-Sex

Manner of Take:
Rifle

Date Period:
O1 (Oct 16 - Oct 20)

Hunt Location:
018 - EE018O1R

Sub-Location:
Hunts: 181; Hunts: 018

My buddy has one of those tags as well. We saw very few hunters last year, but now that the area is burned, the concentrations will be a bit higher I imagine. I keep meaning to drive up and see how badly things were torched.

840 either sex tags
+ 480 cow tags

(not sure how many tags are left after the secondary draw)

I agree with Ucsdryder......wear your orange!

OP
txtransplant

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
840 either sex tags
+ 480 cow tags

(not sure how many tags are left after the secondary draw)

I agree with Ucsdryder......wear your orange!
Oh geez I didn’t realize it was that many tags. Is that all 1st rifle? There’s only about 5 square miles of huntable land left!

Oh geez I didn’t realize it was that many tags. Is that all 1st rifle? There’s only about 5 square miles of huntable land left!
Yes, all 1st rifle. It doesn’t look like there will be any deer hunters in the field, but 1,300+ tags for those 2 units.

Hunterbug

FNG
I haven't been up there yet since the fire but my buddy went in May and sent me pictures and it looked like they dropped Napalm on the area. Good luck,

HNTR918

WKR
I hunted a neighboring unit 2 years ago.
Glassed up some elk in this unit.
PM me if you'd like a place to start.
I'd suggest getting 1-2 days of scouting in before opening day.

Hunted it in 2018, saw elk every day but Sunday of the season. Major cold front that season. You can search for my write up on the hunt. I'm not sure how the fire last year effected things. It's a big unit. I bet it will be like any other opportunity hunt. If you put the time in, you can find animals. We didn't see a ton of elk, but we did see 3 legal bulls. I killed one of them. Shoot me a PM if you'd like more info.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I *had* that tag last year and CPW allowed me to swap to an OTC bull tag, just had to pay the difference. I scouted the unit a couple weeks before the fire kicked off. In my experience, 181 is full of hunters. I would say scout hard in both units and see what you find. I read somewhere that deer migration patterns were largely unaffected by wildfires unless they were actively burning but the data wasn't available for elk.

OP
txtransplant

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I *had* that tag last year and CPW allowed me to swap to an OTC bull tag, just had to pay the difference. I scouted the unit a couple weeks before the fire kicked off. In my experience, 181 is full of hunters. I would say scout hard in both units and see what you find. I read somewhere that deer migration patterns were largely unaffected by wildfires unless they were actively burning but the data wasn't available for elk.
Yeah I picked the unit because I thought no one else would hunt it due to the fire. I’m not likely to ever come back to this unit in the future. Just looking for someone to join up with - whether they have a tag or not. Happy to share meat!

bccowboy

FNG
I have a second and third rifle tag in that unit. I hunted 181 last year for 4th season (this is my second season as a hunter). I'll probably be up to scout as you are hunting/getting ready to leave. If you want to link up and share some advice or need help with a pack-out let me know.

OP
txtransplant

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I have a second and third rifle tag in that unit. I hunted 181 last year for 4th season (this is my second season as a hunter). I'll probably be up to scout as you are hunting/getting ready to leave. If you want to link up and share some advice or need help with a pack-out let me know.
It's starting to look like I'll only be able to hunt one day before heading home. PM me and I'll share what I'm seeing!