Colorado Elk 66 - archery

Howdy all!

Given my points situation, I'm confident that I can draw elk and/or deer in 66 this year and/or next. I've been doing a bunch of research and e-scouting and really excited given the variety of landscape in that unit and area generally. I'm planning to drive out and check it out after some of this snow melts off.

I'm curious about any info you all are willing to share privately. I have a few years experience spooking elk and bears in OTC units 62 and 53.

Thanks in advance!

OP
shoeshineman
I figure that since this is something like >10 pts for non-residents, someone must have experience with a guide/outfitter.

What is the grouse and small game situation? Worth bringing the grouse broadheads or not?

Last edited:

Thomas11

WKR
I hunted right next door in 67 first rifle last yr. We had a good hunt. Similar unit but I’d give 66 the nod from what I hear. I don’t think u could go wrong w that unit for archery w 7 pts. Not much u can draw beyond 5-7 pts anyway until u get to 20+ pts. I’m speaking for elk. Not sure I’d try both in same yr unless u had lots of time

Watson12

FNG
I've spent quite a bit of time in that unit and know it fairly well. Feel free to shoot me your questions and I'll try to answer them.
I just applied for the muzzleloader Elk and Mule Deer hunt as a resident for this coming fall. I last lived in Fort Collins, but now I live and work overseas with my family. Thankfully, I will be coming back to the states before the hunt. @thomas67 Is there a way I can message you and ask some questions about the unit?

Scheid39

FNG
Howdy all!

Given my points situation, I'm confident that I can draw elk and/or deer in 66 this year and/or next. I've been doing a bunch of research and e-scouting and really excited given the variety of landscape in that unit and area generally. I'm planning to drive out and check it out after some of this snow melts off.

I'm curious about any info you all are willing to share privately. I have a few years experience spooking elk and bears in OTC units 62 and 53.

Thanks in advance!
I'll be heading out to 66 as well packing/calling for a buddy.
Howdy all!

Thanks in advance!
I'll be heading out there as well but won't be hunting myself. Just calling and packing for a buddy.

What dates are you looking at?

OP
shoeshineman
I was in last weekend. Didn't hear any bugles. Found fresh sign, trails, and popular watering areas. Found what I believe to be a very successful rifle season area. Found some trails that were way gnarlier that what they look like on the map. Pushed my subaru to the max. Bumped a moose and a calf in the willows and she kept coming after me. Had to take a difficult boulder field route to get away. The areas i was in are absolutely covered in mule deer on both the trails and the roads.

I ruled out a few spots that I thought would be good. Thats ok. Now I have a better feeling for exactly where I need to be next weekend.

I was in last weekend. Didn't hear any bugles. Found fresh sign, trails, and popular watering areas. Found what I believe to be a very successful rifle season area. Found some trails that were way gnarlier that what they look like on the map. Pushed my subaru to the max. Bumped a moose and a calf in the willows and she kept coming after me. Had to take a difficult boulder field route to get away. The areas i was in are absolutely covered in mule deer on both the trails and the roads.

I ruled out a few spots that I thought would be good. Thats ok. Now I have a better feeling for exactly where I need to be next weekend.
lol. Did the same with my subaru. I have a feeling we may have been in the same area. I ran into loads of muleys and moose.

oilman87

FNG

Were there a lot of people backpacking/camping there? I’ll be going in next week!

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I leave the 17th I have been Escouting and talking to people from Colorado all summer. Weather for the last week and a half looks great I am super pumped.

oilman87

FNG
Just got back from hunting this unit. My brother in law killed a bull and I should of had a big 6x6 in the freezer but couldn’t make it happen. Bulls were rutting like crazy and responding to calls, it was like a damn primos video lol feel free to PM me and I’ll give you more specifics of where at it the unit we hunted.

lol i can't PM you, but its nice to hear the rut turned on. I also had a 6x6 come in to like 25 yards behind a group of aspens, but couldn't seal the deal.

jdrami36

FNG
Just got back from hunting this unit. My brother in law killed a bull and I should of had a big 6x6 in the freezer but couldn’t make it happen. Bulls were rutting like crazy and responding to calls, it was like a damn primos video lol feel free to PM me and I’ll give you more specifics of where at it the unit we hunted.
Once I can PM I will send you one oilman87. I am looking at some low point units for next season and this is tops on my list so far.