Colorado Elk Draw Unit recommendations with 16 preference points?

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
I've been saving up my preference points for 16 years and I'm not getting any younger so thought this might be the year to apply to hunt instead of just getting a point. I'm thinking about unit 61 but are there draw units with equal or better bulls? Or should I just hold on and try for other units that require more points but have higher densities of bigger bulls. This will be my best chance to harvest a real nice bull..325ish or better....I've never done that so that would be my goal and if I need to wait I would. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

OP
M

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, a bit late getting back to the post. I am a resident and would like to pick a rifle hunt. I'll look into Unit 10 probabilities for drawing. Thanks for any advice.

Shoes

FNG
Generically speaking, that many points should get you into a unit that will meet your goals. I would focus on units that don't have OTC rifle tags. But more importantly, I would focus on units you will be able to scout effectively several times before the season. Or consider hiring a guide to do that piece for you.

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
I am in basically the same boat as Montero. I am a CO resident sitting on 17 points. Purely looking for the best archery elk unit in the next couple years. From my "limited" understanding of the draw stats 61 appears to be the "best" I will likely ever be able to guarantee a draw. I am 46 now.

Yep that or you might be close to the "early" rifle tag in 76. I would take the 61 hunt and have fun. I've hunted it three times and its a blast

Well, with the wolves up in Moffatt county, things will surely change. That said, 46 years old, 17 points, I'd hold em. I went the foldem route on 61, with about the same age and PPs and that was a mistake but glad to be out from the points race.

I was disappointed with 61, goals not met, but that was my fault. Give me a "Do over" card, I'd go to one of those out of the way waterholes I found and arrow a bull early. You will have fun, but the amount of people in 61 is mind boggling.

I was playing around in some pretty steep areas, and was bumping into the "Lazy ML guys" alot. You know, the ones that don't walk a 1/4 mile from the truck.

I don't, and won't be a debbie downer for the hunt. Just know what you're getting. I've had some good tags over the years (not elk) and was just kind of let down a bit. The unit is huge, make no mistake. Have fun, but know what it is.

Nerhunter

FNG
The deer, bear, cow elk and turkey hunters both muzzy and rifle are anxious to spend some time with you in 61 On that bowhunt. It’s a bummer after waiting that long to draw. I won’t be back

Razkul99

FNG
16 points and a resident, seems like you could do better than 61 in the next couple of years but I understand the urge to want to see some return. A lot of the modern muzzleloaders are damn near centerfire rifles, I would consider adding that option to your efforts.