Colorado Elk Hunt in Fossil Ridge Wilderness

J-L-W

FNG
I am planning a 3rd Rifle elk hunt in Colorado GMU 55. I planned to spend most of my time in Fossil Ridge Wilderness. I am looking for any info on this area. What to expect?

Thomas11

WKR
I’ve hunted that unit but never fossil ridge. Looks to very timbered country is why I stayed away. Also that’s pretty late in the yr to be hunting wilderness high country.

Thomas11

WKR
Remember third season this yr is very late. I’d be concentrating lower but I could be wrong

Uh oh. You mentioned specifics. Where’s the popcorn? Get ready for the cold if winter comes early. That area can be colder than Alaska.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
As others mentioned, weather may be an issue due to the late season. I went to college in Gunnison and have spent some time in 55. Access to the wilderness boundary may be tough if a big storm hits. But, there is a ton of public ground in 55 that you can still access even if the high country gets dumped on. Get onX or something similar and study your maps well. Good luck, its beautiful country.

OP
J

J-L-W

FNG
Remember third season this yr is very late. I’d be concentrating lower but I could be wrong
Yeah I was concerned about winter pushing the elk down. I thought about second season which is the first week of November. Hunter pressure is a big concern for me there so I wondered if the bulls may get pushed back into the wilderness for cover once the shooting starts, weather permitting. My other concern is that the big bulls know where the private land is and will hide there. Thanks for the info.

OP
J

J-L-W

FNG
As others mentioned, weather may be an issue due to the late season. I went to college in Gunnison and have spent some time in 55. Access to the wilderness boundary may be tough if a big storm hits. But, there is a ton of public ground in 55 that you can still access even if the high country gets dumped on. Get onX or something similar and study your maps well. Good luck, its beautiful country.
Yessir I have onX and bought the Topo map for GMU 55. I’ve have done a ton of map and google earth research and plan to go out there in July to get my boots on the ground. Weather permitting I would love to get into the wilderness; however, I may need to shift focus on some other areas it sounds like. Thanks for the info.

OP
J

J-L-W

FNG
Uh oh. You mentioned specifics. Where’s the popcorn? Get ready for the cold if winter comes early. That area can be colder than Alaska.
I was trying not to get too specific but I figured you guys and gals would let me know real quick if I did 😬. I’ll be backpacking but it sounds like I may need to join the road hunters down lower this time of year.