Colorado Elk hunting with youth, any advice?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m about to go through this with my kids. My daughter just passed hunter Ed this weekend and wants to elk hunt next year, she’ll be 12. I think she’ll struggle mightily. I have this picture at age 6, hunting high country mule deer. I think it depends a lot on the kid. And I’m pretty sure we’re raising a bunch of pansies (self included)!

I told her we’d do antelope next year and we could talk about elk, she’s going to try to go up at least once with me for archery.

Attachments

• 380D5534-BBD6-4B09-ACC5-826825D88733.jpeg
    380D5534-BBD6-4B09-ACC5-826825D88733.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 20

ccarter

FNG
Great Thread. I agree with the posts that said to make it all about them, and go the extra mile to keep them comfortable. They're usually skinnier than us, so they get cold faster if they sit still for too long, and their legs are shorter, so hiking up the steep stuff sometimes takes twice as much effort as us. Don't expect them to be as focused as you if you go for a while without seeing game. I also tried to carry most of their gear within reason so that they weren't weighted down and worn out. By the time they're early teenagers, they were outthinking and outpacing me. If they have a good time- successful or not, they'll be hooked. With some success, they become fanatics.

One other thing I always tried to do is allow them to do 'extra' things on hunting trips. Stay up later, listen to jokes I might not have let them listen to at home– get a pocket knife at the truck stop on the way out west. I wanted to make them feel like "one of the guys" and make it a privilege to miss school and go to hunting camp each year. I guess you could call it a bribe, but hey, whatever it takes...

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing your expertise, we thank you all.
What do you guys think of basecamp vs backpack tent, we have three options,
1. Camp in the truck or next to it and drive up to the furthest point in the area then go on foot,
2. Arrive 2 days earlier and check the area, if road access is limited, then carry basecamp tent to the furthest point possible and from there use backpack tent if we are far in the woods
3. Just use backpack tent throughout the whole hunt.

here what I think in regard of basecamp: 👇👇👇

1662390073561.png

Backpack tent 👇👇👇

1662392245826.png

SteveinMN

FNG
I brought both my boys last year (14 and 16 at the time) for their first time-first rifle. Hiked in about 3.5 miles and set up base camp and hunted from there. Hike in was miserable shin-deep mud, hike out was damn near knee deep. To my surprise they both wanted to return this year and based on last year have made a few changes.

1. My oldest is still talking about how cold he was getting up every morning so we've got a hot-tent setup this year. Damn near the same weight as the backpack tent we had last year with the bonus of fire.
  2. Food. Some of the dinners last year were a bust. This year got them more involved with picking it out and we vetted the meals during our annual canoe trip in the BWCA. Also going to go way heavier on the nut-butter packets and Gu/Power bar gel. Also going to bring in some ramen for those times when food just doesn't sound appetizing.
  3. Bringing along life straw bottles. Filtering water was a pain point and led to us not drinking as much as we should have. Hoping ease of use will lead to better hydration/performance.

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
I brought both my boys last year (14 and 16 at the time) for their first time-first rifle. Hiked in about 3.5 miles and set up base camp and hunted from there. Hike in was miserable shin-deep mud, hike out was damn near knee deep. To my surprise they both wanted to return this year and based on last year have made a few changes.

1. My oldest is still talking about how cold he was getting up every morning so we've got a hot-tent setup this year. Damn near the same weight as the backpack tent we had last year with the bonus of fire.
  2. Food. Some of the dinners last year were a bust. This year got them more involved with picking it out and we vetted the meals during our annual canoe trip in the BWCA. Also going to go way heavier on the nut-butter packets and Gu/Power bar gel. Also going to bring in some ramen for those times when food just doesn't sound appetizing.
  3. Bringing along life straw bottles. Filtering water was a pain point and led to us not drinking as much as we should have. Hoping ease of use will lead to better hydration/performance.
That's great , I will make sure to involve them in all aspects during our preparation and food selection.
What was your camp set up like? We have a list of things to buy, it gets expensive everyday :)

SteveinMN

FNG
That's great , I will make sure to involve them in all aspects during our preparation and food selection.
What was your camp set up like? We have a list of things to buy, it gets expensive everyday :)

We were in a 4 man North Face tent, each of us have 15 degree down bags and various insulated inflatable pads. Biggest fail was not getting our boots WIDE open the first night. They were frozen solid in the morning and I almost couldn’t get one of them on.

Since kids are still growing got them Eddy Bauer guide pro pants on clearance, they wore long underwear from their ski setup.

It does get damn expensive in a hurry though especially considering a lot of stuff is 1-year use before it’s outgrown. Got cheaper Irish Setters for them with 600 (?) g of insulation. Enough to be warm but not so much they couldn’t also pheasant hunt in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
We were in a 4 man North Face tent, each of us have 15 degree down bags and various insulated inflatable pads. Biggest fail was not getting our boots WIDE open the first night. They were frozen solid in the morning and I almost couldn’t get one of them on.

Since kids are still growing got them Eddy Bauer guide pro pants on clearance, they wore long underwear from their ski setup.

It does get damn expensive in a hurry though especially considering a lot of stuff is 1-year use before it’s outgrown. Got cheaper Irish Setters for them with 600 (?) g of insulation. Enough to be warm but not so much they couldn’t also pheasant hunt in them.

Appreciate that, thank you,
I knew there are more preparations to do and things to buy, our primitive list is not as good as someone who lived the experience.

SteveinMN

FNG
Appreciate that, thank you,
I knew there are more preparations to do and things to buy, our primitive list is not as good as someone who lived the experience.
One thing I forgot to mention...I put onX on both of their phones for the trip. They both enjoyed having it and it gave that little extra confidence that if we became separated or something happened to me they'd be able to find camp, car, etc.

We went when I was 13 and the biggest issue was that the adults couldn't keep up with my brother and I, 14 & 13. We were in September so cold wasn't an issue. The best memories were catching trout and shooting grouse. My brother killed a spike muledeer the first year, I killed a small mule deer and a decent 270 +/- bull the second year. I got to go at 15 but trip was cut short by a death in the family. Haven't been back until last year and looking to take my 12 yo boys either this year or next. Waiting on second draw results and hoping.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

10 years of youth hunting with my 2 sons went by way too fast for me. We still go on hunts together- but my oldest has his wife and hunting partner now. I’m happy for all the memories we had- mid 2000’s. Those were the years a youth could go hunt the whole month of December if a tag was unfilled from earlier season. Grampos-uncles-cousins-other young hunting buddies—we all had great times together! Some years-it was just me and my two sons- and were the most special for me as dad!

Make sure they’re happy and enjoying it. Go at their pace- not yours. Pay attention-You’ll find that they’ll be teaching you some things along the way. Make sure they have smiles at the end of the day and you’ll be a very proud papa! 👴

Wags

WKR
Don't blink.... it flies by.... great advice on this thread. Gear wise, keep an eye out or post in the Classifieds on here. I've gotten a lot of great youth gear for a great price and always re sold or donated it on here as the boys have outgrown it.

Have fun, take lots of pics & lots of snacks.

Brodie.jpgBuck.jpgDeer 1.jpgGoat 3.jpgWyoming.jpg

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Any recommendation for brands or ideas to keep the kids warm during hiking & glassing? I looked into UA, KUIU and mossy oak but couldn't find XS size in adults section and nothing in youth.
I even looked for used clothing, but I wasn't' lucky
My oldest was awarded a deer tag for end of October 2nd season and we are planning on purchasing OTC elk tag for the same area.

SteveinMN

FNG
Any recommendation for brands or ideas to keep the kids warm during hiking & glassing? I looked into UA, KUIU and mossy oak but couldn't find XS size in adults section and nothing in youth.
My oldest was awarded a deer tag for end of October 2nd season and we are planning on purchasing OTC elk tag for the same area.

Whatever brand puffy that is cheap and warm, then an adult size camo shirt over the top. Especially handy if the camo shirt happens to be in your size.

Trencher

FNG
Great info on here: I have twin 18 year olds Been western hunting since they were 9.
1. Buy cheap close and layer then one nice name brand outer layer so they can look cool to friends and strangers at gas stations, and in pics. Then buy one size too big that way they can wear for 2 years, I wear jeans and flannel to afford this.

2: don’t pack in, big tent with with camo cots they work great for creating room and putting stuff on top when not sleeping. Room is key they need some comfort a chair also. I sit on a cooler to give them all the room I can afford. Kodiak tent works great.

3. Be mobile let them see the country, go to town and let them have a pizza every 3rd day break it up so to say. Don’t say a dam thing about your plastic new truck that may get a ding or flat tire suck it up butter cup it’s gonna get bent, stuck, dirty, broke, don’t go yelling it’s all part of the process. I’ve got stories, namely my boys still say man dads calm when shit hits the fan, then right behind is, oh gosh what’s mom gonna say lol.

4. Don’t get a tag for yourself, It’s about them get them the best tag you can, and put in for as many as you can. Fish always fish man we passed lots of hours casting and some great meals some of the best memories. Take a few pics also nice to look back on.

5. It’s short time when you have them to yourself, if there driven as mine are you’ll fight mom first she don’t like baby’s going into grizz country, then coaches, then school for time off, they better get good grades or your hosed, lastly girl friends Geezze I hate girl friends. Sports are tuff tell the coach to bit off until there about 15 then let them decide. One of my boys decided to play sports over September elk, and the other decided to stick with the elk, then quit sports, works with me, purchased 2 horses, trailer, truck, 25 head of angus beef and a darn nice angus bull on his own he’s busy. I’m proud of both and like the late season hunting with Mr sports but I need the horses to keep up with him when you play you can walk.

6. There only 18 Im not sure about how 6 works out yet, I’m guessing I’ll get older can’t go as far, still won’t care about my truck it’s just a tool like a hammer over time. Girl friends will turn into wives Geezze,, The memories and time spent and the occasional grip and grin have been great so far.

Good luck to you sir.

Last edited:
OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Great info on here: I have twin 18 year olds Been western hunting since they were 9.
1. Buy cheap close and layer then one nice name brand outer layer so they can look cool to friends and strangers at gas stations, and in pics. Then buy one size too big that way they can wear for 2 years, I wear jeans and flannel to afford this.

2: don’t pack in, big tent with with camo cots they work great for creating room and putting stuff on top when not sleeping. Room is key they need some comfort a chair also. I sit on a cooler to give them all the room I can afford. Kodiak tent works great.

3. Be mobile let them see the country, go to town and let them have a pizza every 3rd day break it up so to say. Don’t say a dam thing about your plastic new truck that may get a ding or flat tire suck it up butter cup it’s gonna get bent, stuck, dirty, broke, don’t go yelling it’s all part of the process. I’ve got stories, namely my boys still say man dads calm when shit hits the fan, then right behind is, oh gosh what’s mom gonna say lol.

4. Don’t get a tag for yourself, It’s about them get them the best tag you can, and put in for as many as you can. Fish always fish man we passed lots of hours casting and some great meals some of the best memories. Take a few pics also nice to look back on.

5. It’s short time when you have them to yourself, if there driven as mine are you’ll fight mom first she don’t like baby’s going into grizz country, then coaches, then school for time off, they better get good grades or your hosed, lastly girl friends Geezze I hate girl friends. Sports are tuff tell the coach to bit off until there about 15 then let them decide. One of my boys decided to play sports over September elk, and the other decided to stick with the elk, then quit sports, works with me, purchased 2 horses, trailer, truck, 25 head of angus beef and a darn nice angus bull on his own he’s busy. I’m proud of both and like the late season hunting with Mr sports but I need the horses to keep up with him when you play you can walk.

6. There only 18 Im not sure about how 6 works out yet, I’m guessing I’ll get older can’t go as far, still won’t care about my truck it’s just a tool like a hammer over time. The memories and time spent and the occasional grip and grin have been great so far.

Good luck you sir.

Thank you for sharing your experience, definitely will do that. Mom doesn't like the idea of missing school but we worked a deal with her, they promised to stay on the honor and dean's list.
I hate the idea of bending or scratching my truck, but as you said, it's part of the process, I am mentally prepared for that I guess.

Wags

WKR

Sitka has some kids stuff.... I can send you a 40% off code if that helps?