Colorado Elk Outfitters/Guides/Consultants

As the title implies I am looking to find a top quality outfitter, guide or consultant for a private land, rifle elk hunt for next year somewhere in Colorado. I prefer to DIY and enjoy getting out by myself but my father is getting older and after all he has done for me, I want to do something for him. He has dreamed of a colorado bull elk his whole life and I'm in a place financially where I can make it happen for him. Budget is around 5k for each hunter (2) and would like to ensure he has an opportunity at a good sized bull. With all the horror stories out there, I'm hoping the collective here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

OP
AlwaysForward19d
Appreciate the input so far! As for what constitutes a "good" bull, I believe that really depends on the hunt. Expectations for an OTC, public land hunt is generally less than that of a private land, guided hunt. Since most likely, this will be my fathers only elk hunt of his life, I'd like to see him get after something 280" +....

Does anyone have any personal experience with particular outfits?

Bear Mountain Outfitters is a great outfit. My cousin's group of 8 filled something like 11 of 13 (all had elk tags and a few had deer tags as well) tags in November of 2018 - 3rd season. Might be just north of your budget but would be worth the extra money.

Jaspe

FNG
Going with Cliff Gray and the Flat top Wilderness Guides - 3rd Season. Impressed so far with the assistance from Cliff during the preparation for the hunt. He seems to be a great guy. I will post a follow up after my trip.

There are NEVER any guarantees in elk hunting but if you want to give him the best chance possible in Colorado I’d narrow it down to private land. But I don’t know what you’ll find down there for 5 grand. I think you should at least talk to a few booking agents and see what they might have along those lines. Is there a reason you’re set on Colorado?

If you know Colorado is the place and you get to the point where you’re looking for a public land outfitter try this one. She runs a great camp but you might have to book a couple years in advance. That should tell you something though.