Colorado Elk Reports

Ucsdryder

WKR
Got this report from my buddies west of Kremling....

“Elk all over. Not active during the day at all. Bugles kept us up all night. Saw a group of young bulls called at them and they walked the other way. This weather sucks”
West of kremmling? You sure those weren’t dueling hunters bugling from their atvs and utvs in gmu27? Bugle fests and west of kremmling don’t go together. 😂

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
West of kremmling? You sure those weren’t dueling hunters bugling from their atvs and utvs in gmu27? Bugle fests and west of kremmling don’t go together. 😂
Positive. We were there scouting a month ago NOT close to unit 27. Twelve mile hike in. Far from everything. Elk sign everywhere along with some other features the elk are extremely attracted to that I will not state here.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Positive. We were there scouting a month ago NOT close to unit 27. Twelve mile hike in. Far from everything. Elk sign everywhere along with some other features the elk are extremely attracted to that I will not state here.
Probably a good thing they haven’t killed an elk if they’re 12 miles in on foot in this weather.

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
They have my number on their inreach and we will head up with horses if they get on one.

Killed B list cow so for me, the season is a success. Passed a bull 2 days ago, real quiet. In swaying that one bugling this AM good, couldt turn him hunters came in on me. I’ve only been walked in on twice, which is unbelievable due to the amount of people. If I could post a video, I’d show you what not to do while elk hunting. These two dudes were dumber and dumber x 3. How do they let them buy tags?

Partner had a chance on a solid 300 chasing a cow, but it wasn’t in the cards. Bummer.

I will not pass another bull, ready to check out of CO and head to WY.

Last edited:
Just so we're clear there's one place in all of Colorado where you can get 10 miles from a road. It's nowhere near kremmling.

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
Just so we're clear there's one place in all of Colorado where you can get 10 miles from a road. It's nowhere near kremmling.
Don’t know what to tell you. Hiked a 22 mile loop and found the elk 12 miles in. About a third of it was off-trail. The first twelve in are better than the back 10.....just so we’re clear.

Poser

WKR
Don’t know what to tell you. Hiked a 22 mile loop and found the elk 12 miles in. About a third of it was off-trail. The first twelve in are better than the back 10.....just so we’re clear.

You may have hiked that far and hiking that far may have been what led to your success, but his point is valid: there was a way to access the spot where you killed an elk from less than 12 miles away. You weren’t 12 miles from the closest road or access point.

Was working in on a good sized herd bull this morning. Grouped up with 7 cows already. I ranged him at 97 in a saddle on a ridge and couldn't get closer before they walked off. This was at first light. Then had a spike less than 20 yards in front of me for over 5 minutes around 9:30. Hot and quiet. No bugles last night and no response to one this morning.

Any updates with this weather? Went out yesterday and had a bull bugling at what felt like less than 50 yards but it was so damn foggy I couldn't see him. Then had a spike come in quiet behind me in some thick brush. Today was dead quiet. Not a peep and I covered 5 miles this morning.

AndyB

WKR
Got this report from my buddies west of Kremling....

“Elk all over. Not active during the day at all. Bugles kept us up all night. Saw a group of young bulls called at them and they walked the other way. This weather sucks”
This ^^, damn it was hot in North park.
Dancing an irish jig around our tents at midnight under the full moon, then underground during daylight.
Got within 70 yds of a bull and five cows bedded, but that was it.

TheHammer

WKR
Was 5miles in on 82. Called 2 in, one big boy with cow calls, one smaller bull with bugle/scrape/stomp sequence, intercepted a small heard on the way up a ridge one morning. No bugles, no other hunters that deep. All sign was up above 10,300. Had some transition sign down in the bottoms at 8400, guessing that was from pressure. Sure wish I knew someone with pack animals. Weather was upper 80s during the day, low 30s at night. Tons of bears in there, one in camp on Monday morning and lion sign everywhere.

Was 5miles in on 82. Called 2 in, one big boy with cow calls, one smaller bull with bugle/scrape/stomp sequence, intercepted a small heard on the way up a ridge one morning. No bugles, no other hunters that deep. All sign was up above 10,300. Had some transition sign down in the bottoms at 8400, guessing that was from pressure. Sure wish I knew someone with pack animals. Weather was upper 80s during the day, low 30s at night. Tons of bears in there, one in camp on Monday morning and lion sign everywhere.
I didn't mention that. Hunting a draw unit this year instead of OTC. I've seen 9 hunters in the last 3 days. Even in 38F weather with steady rain this morning. Wish I could turn my tag in and go back to my OTC spot. I see less people and it's closer to the road LOL. I have a bear/deer tag in 29. Haven't had time to go in there to look around yet though. Hoping to put an elk on the ground first.

Headed out in the morning to a new area.

Last edited:

TheHammer

WKR
I didn't mention that. Hunting a draw unit this year instead of OTC. I've seen 9 hunters in the last 3 days. Two of them from New York and more than 5 miles in. I wish onX/phone maps didn't exist and the "hardcore" social media influencers would go away! All of them were deeper than 3 miles in. Even in 38F weather with steady rain this morning. Wish I could turn my tag in and go back to my OTC spot. I see less people and it's closer to the road LOL. I have a bear/deer/elk tag.

Headed out in the morning to a new area.
Wow, here I’m salty I didn’t draw in 81. This country isn’t for the weak or faint. Definitely bit off more then I can chew in here. Thought I was in shape enough, definitely got humbled. I’ll be back with the rifle in October cus I think I have unfinished business in here. Hoping to find someone with pack animals by then. Hopefully guys on here say things start heating up. As for the influencers. I listened to the BRO opener update and they talked about how they are having to adapt, their video of lunkers in New Mexico made me laugh last year. They could not adapt to hunt without calls and seemed lost.

They were going pretty good on private, quiet on the public side (go figure). Friend of mine is hunting a draw unit and the last few days has been good. Only a matter of time I think. We felt the effects of units going draw pushing hunters over our way.

I shot a cow, a bull, and a bear so I'm pretty much done with CO in all sense of the word "Done". The holiday weekend was pretty rough, mid week was better, today, crazy house again.

Partner had a nice bull at 60 coming in, all of the sudden, it just locked up, looked up slope and off it went. 2 minutes later, a ML guy was coming down on us and the bull winded him. That was the first pretty good bull we saw. The timing couldn't have been worse.

colder this morning in the low 30's. I've heard a couple half-assed bugles but nothing I can close in on or get to repeat. Seems like the elk are still pretty lazy. Anyone hear anything last night with the full moon?

Plus side there seems to be a lot more grouse around this year compared to 2021.

They were going pretty good on private, quiet on the public side (go figure). Friend of mine is hunting a draw unit and the last few days has been good. Only a matter of time I think. We felt the effects of units going draw pushing hunters over our way.

I shot a cow, a bull, and a bear so I'm pretty much done with CO in all sense of the word "Done". The holiday weekend was pretty rough, mid week was better, today, crazy house again.

Partner had a nice bull at 60 coming in, all of the sudden, it just locked up, looked up slope and off it went. 2 minutes later, a ML guy was coming down on us and the bull winded him. That was the first pretty good bull we saw. The timing couldn't have been worse.
Nice to hear someone had success! My buddy called me last night and told me he had a bull walk through his drive-in camp as he was setting up camp! He was able to shoot it and be done before he started... 🤯

ahlgringo

WKR
Draw unit in southwest CO. Hunted through first week, takin Muzzy season off then get back out there. First week was HOT- like 85 degrees hot, nights got into 60's, all above 8k ft. Bulls are doing their thing, but mostly in the dark. Called in a half dozen rag horns and small 5's but nothing bigger. Big boys seem to be still holed up letting the little ones do all the dirty work of rounding up cows. Looking forward to getting back out there.

Just had a good sized bull walk 50 yards in front of me with a half a dozen cows. I had the wind. Completely ignored my cow calls. Not spooked, just walked off side hilling. Went over the top to try and get in front of them and lost them. This happened at 10am