Colorado Elk Rut Update

KMT

WKR
With archery season now open, I thought it would be nice to share what everyone is seeing and hearing in their part of the state. I went out opening weekend in central Colorado. I called a small 5 point that came in silent. When he couldn't find his "cow" he bugled a few times and took off. The next day, I heard one bill bugle 4-5 times and another bill bugle once. I didn't expect to hear any bugles so early in the season.

Yukondog

WKR
All was silent for me. Did see 7 bulls on Saturday. Unknown to me two walked behind me at 60 yards only to identify themselves as they blew up once they winded me. Saw several more cruising mid day. Could not close the deal in the open aspen grove. Not enough cover to make a move. Had one coming in at 6:45 Saturday thru the aspens, which where spaced every 10-15yds apart. Once he was about 50 yards away and passing a aspen I got on my knees only for him to hear the leaves and pin me. He took a turn left and I stopped him thru a window of two feet. I first thought 50 yards, but at the last second moved my pin to 60. Ya know, elk are big and are further away than you to really think. Let the arrow go and it was perfect. Flight was beautiful and the arrow found its mark, aspen tree at 60 yards. Turns out the bull was standing at 48 yards. My arrow gave him a hair cut.

Awesome weekend with no rutting or elk talking. Should have gone with my first gut instinct on the range.

Last edited:

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
On the central front range we saw a LOT of elk with only sporadic bugling. We did see one huge herd bull with a harem of about 25 cows, a few spikes and one decent satellite bull. Other than that there was very little reaction to calls.

Going out for three days this weekend. Hopefully i can find them. I will give a full report when i get back. Southern colorado.

I was scouting near winter park today and saw 7*7 bull that bugled about 5 times this morning. He already had 15 cows with him. I have noticed over the years they will talk a little bit the first week of archery season and then clam up until the middle of September when the rut fires up.

bobhunts

WKR
I saw more sheep than I can count in the Sangres. Only one cow above timberline on Sunday morning by herself. Took my game camera and will be moving to a new location further north.

OP
K

KMT

WKR
I hunted sunday and today. On Sunday, I heard 10 or more bulls bugling. Only one was with cows that I could see. Today, I heard 5 different bulls bugle. One was with two cows. The bulls were noisy, but they weren't looking for any trouble. Although they would answer to another bugle, they would not close the gap.

I was into some elk this weekend. I found the elk to be very on/offish. Saturday there was zero noise and not very much elk movement at all. Sunday morning I played cat and mouse with a very good one but the wind got the best of that game. Then Monday I bumped a few early. At 11:00 I called in this guy and arrowed him at twenty yards.

SeptBull002.jpg

i hunted all weekend, saturday not a single sound barely even cut any tracks. Sunday heard one bugle way off, ended up jumping one bull at around 10 and then had one come in silent when i was looking for an arrow my brother shot into a tree at a grouse, once i heard him coming it was to late and i was 20 yards from my bow, my buddies were by my bow and the bull came in broadside to me at 30 yards we had a stare down and he finally winded us round 1, later on we seen 3 bulls on the far ridgeside, monday we hunted where we seen all the bulls and all that and absolutely nothing, but i was told the weekend before they were going nuts, im going next week into a wilderness area backpacking in hoping for better chances with less pressure.

vcb

WKR
I was in for 4 days this week. They turned on for me Thurs. Morning. Before that they were silent since the opener for me...

OP
K

KMT

WKR
My son and I hunted Saturday and Sunday. Bulls were pretty quiet on Saturday. Finally at around noon, we had some action. He wanted a big bull, and we weren't able to find one until about 6pm. We didnt have time to go after him, though. Elk were a little more vocal on Sunday and finally went silent around 9 am. We had to head for home at noon though.

a3dhunter

WKR
Just saw this thread:
8/28- bulls bugled all night long, at morning found 6 point elk with 13 cows in valley below.
8/29- heard about 15 bugles during the night and before daylight
8/30- saw 3 bulls after daylight, not bugling or responding to calls
8/31- heard about 5-6 bugles during mid afternoon rain storms, saw two fork bulls responding to calls after stumbling into them, then found 5 point bull bedded at 11,200 feet and killed him. Heard several bugles while packing first load out that night in the rain/hail.
9/1- while going in with horses heard some cow calls and several bugles mid afternoon during light rain
9/3 - heard three bugles after dark at 11,400 feet
9/4- heard two bugles before daylight
9/5- heard 6 bugles mid afternoon with cows talking in dark timber 3 miles in
9/6- headed back to town- no bugles that morning