Colorado elk unit 82 first rifle questions

ILMhunter

FNG
Got some first rifle season tags for Colorado unit 82, trying to figure out a game plan. I've read that amish hunt a lot of the drainages in this unit, but haven't had any luck figuring out which drainages they're usually in. Anyone have info on resources to figure this out? I've been googling but no luck.

Also if you have any advice or experience hunting the unit that you'd be willing to share via PM, I'd be very appreciative. I could trade you some alpine lakes that hold nice fish for some info lol. This is going to be me and my dad's first elk hunt, so we're pretty green. I know it's rugged, and have been training pretty hard to get in shape for some serious vertical.

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
That's a really big unit for a first timer to try to figure out. Of course a lot of it is valley agricultural land and doesn't hold elk, but you really might be best served to go with an outfitter even if it's only paying him for general advice. I drive through that unit 6 times per year and there's just a lot of people in general in that area whether it's at the Sand Dunes, Zapata Falls, or Baca.

Your best bet would be to get up really high and hunt. Get away from the crowds as much as you can. Maybe contact a landowner and pay for access to their land. With so much public pressure, the elk will seek refuge on private land or Sand Dunes (where there is no hunting to my knowledge).

OP
ILMhunter

ILMhunter

FNG
That's a really big unit for a first timer to try to figure out. Of course a lot of it is valley agricultural land and doesn't hold elk, but you really might be best served to go with an outfitter even if it's only paying him for general advice. I drive through that unit 6 times per year and there's just a lot of people in general in that area whether it's at the Sand Dunes, Zapata Falls, or Baca.

Your best bet would be to get up really high and hunt. Get away from the crowds as much as you can. Maybe contact a landowner and pay for access to their land. With so much public pressure, the elk will seek refuge on private land or Sand Dunes (where there is no hunting to my knowledge).
That's in line with most of what I've been hearing. We're going to be out there early with about 5 days to scout so hopefully that gives us a chance to find something. I may look into going with an outfitter but I tend to prefer DIY for stuff like this. From what I've gathered, it's not a great unit for a beginner, but at least we're still out there learning, and we got a point for next year.

Wondering how your elk hunt went? I’m headed up in 82 for archery mule, we’re guys seeing much deer action?