Colorado elk - unit questions

johnsd16

WKR
In the stages of planning for probably a 2024 CO elk hunt with a partner. I have looked through the draw statistics, success rates, tag allocations, concurrent seasons, public land %, access, etc. and have it narrowed down to a few units. Two of the front runners are 67 archery, and 48 1st rifle. Also looking at 501 or 551 for a couple of different hunt options. Trying to avoid units that have OTC archery, or OTC rifle just to minimize pressure. We are experienced in western hunting (I live in ID, and have both hunted MD, PH, moose), but not overly experienced in elk. I have killed 1 bull with a rifle, and we have both archery hunted elks a few (him) to many (me) times with several close calls, but no arrows released. Goals for the hunt would mostly be quality of experience focusing on less pressure than average general/OTC units, more talkative/less pressured elk, and having encounters greatly outweighing trophy quality. We would plan to wall tent out of a truck based camp, have a 4 wheeler if helpful, but also be able to tent out for a night or two at at time.

What worries me about 48 a little bit is the elevation. The entire unit is very high, and with first rifle it seems that weather could be a huge variable, and I am unsure how likely a massive dump of snow would be. 67 seems to have pretty good access, is not quite as high, but does have some muzzleloader hunting as well; understand the dates will change in 2024 changes which we will take into consideration.

Any insights on these 2 units? Feel free to use pm given the unit specificity.

Open to thoughts on other units that may fit the goals.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Something to keep an eye on is the CPW focus groups taking place right now to address tag allocations going into the next 5 year plan. This has the potential to dramatically shake up the draw. Meaning if you sink a bunch of time researching two year in advance, it could all be a waste.

OP
johnsd16

johnsd16

WKR
Something to keep an eye on is the CPW focus groups taking place right now to address tag allocations going into the next 5 year plan. This has the potential to dramatically shake up the draw. Meaning if you sink a bunch of time researching two year in advance, it could all be a waste.
Totally agree, I actually have 12-15 hunts on the watch list for CO elk. For a few of our hunts (CO elk, WY deer, WY PH) that needs points I keep track of min points to draw, and allocations in a spreadsheet for year by year which in theory allows me to dial in the plans and adjust the years. I have two boys to try and plan draws for, as well as OTC idaho, gen MT, etc. These two hunts I had some specific questions on how things have been in those units.

48 is high and steep. We hunted it about 8 years ago. better get your climb on and try and acclimate well. We were routinely over 12000 feet, pretty much daily. That said, we have hunted 45, 49, and 55 too, so I guess we like the high country. Ive never rifle hunted it, so have stayed out of that later weather, so no idea on elk coming down out of the high country, but even when they do, a lot of the lower ground which is still 10000 feet is pretty much private. There is some stuff that isn't super steep, but it gets hit pretty hard, at least during archery/muzzy season.