Colorado Elk

OzarkOaks

FNG
I have not hunted elk yet. I have hunted heavily pressured whitetails on public ground in Missouri. Hunting escape routes are a popular tactic and I've killed a few nice ones doing that. Knowing where game escapes to under pressure is never a bad thing to know.

Whitetail have an address on a bedding area. They don't typical roam far unless its the rut and the doe density is low. Especially with heavy pressure during daylight.

I can't speak for elk. My understanding is they roam, and they don't have a bedding area they return to day after day. That would really make that tactic less valuable.

Seems like pressured animals will always find the nastiest cover available. If the pressure is intense I would find that and not worry about water or food. My experience with whitetails is that they will water and feed under the cover of darkness. Some of the biggest public land bucks I've been privileged enough to hunt won't chase does in daylight either. I believe they have the ability to control their emotions even when its peak rut and moon is full.

Get a waterproof journal and make notes in the field frequently.

Good luck

Donjuan

WKR
I also might add hunting turkeys is a good gateway drug to learn about calling and positioning yourself relative to the quarry, especially if you can get used to a diaphragm as you can use one for elk.

Also, killing some deer or antelope can get you some experience on the butchering process before tackling an elk