Colorado Fire Ban

ChrisAU

WKR
Well as far as I can understand the current statewide ban is in place through tomorrow, or through Oct 7th, its surprisingly difficult to find info online. Some articles states "through September" while at least one I found says Oct 7th. Regardless, I'm guessing the ban will be extended through the CO rifle seasons. We leave on the 7th for 1st rifle, will be my first backcountry hunt without the promise of being able to warm up by the fire at camp after hiking back in the dark. Thankfully weather looks to be a good bit milder than last year.

Anyone in CO see it going any differently?

It will depend on precipitation, if we get a bunch of rain they may let up early, but I wouldn't be surprised if it stays in place through October.

There is no precipitation in the forecast for my areas. I would imagine the fire ban continues for the foreseeable future.

11boo

WKR
FS wrote up a few camps near me during bow season for fires. The hunters were squealing like a mashed cat over that one. They actually came into the camps during the day, felt the fire pits for heat. No one bothered to put their fires out at the end of the night. We are still in a drought here, but I get it, most want a fire.
if you have one, watch it closely and put the damn thing out when unattended.

i found one a couple years ago that got into the ground duff and was still smoldering days after the camp was vacated, several feet from the pit. Be careful out here, use common sense. Have a shovel and water ready.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
FS wrote up a few camps near me during bow season for fires. The hunters were squealing like a mashed cat over that one. They actually came into the camps during the day, felt the fire pits for heat. No one bothered to put their fires out at the end of the night. We are still in a drought here, but I get it, most want a fire.
if you have one, watch it closely and put the damn thing out when unattended.

i found one a couple years ago that got into the ground duff and was still smoldering days after the camp was vacated, several feet from the pit. Be careful out here, use common sense. Have a shovel and water ready.

Yeah I'm sure there will be a pile of non-residents who either know about the fire ban and disregard it anyway or are to ignorant to know about it. I doubt we'll even see other hunters where we'll be, and the only way FS could bust us would likely be by helicopter but we will still abide by it. I gotta say, those few minutes sitting by a fire at the kill site last year after finishing loading up our last load to go to camp were amazing.

Yeah I'm sure there will be a pile of non-residents who either know about the fire ban and disregard it anyway or are to ignorant to know about it. I doubt we'll even see other hunters where we'll be, and the only way FS could bust us would likely be by helicopter but we will still abide by it. I gotta say, those few minutes sitting by a fire at the kill site last year after finishing loading up our last load to go to camp were amazing.
I just watched some videos from a resident that was blatantly flouting the ban with his fire and his wood stove. Rules apply universally, and for a reason, so I wouldn't plan on a fire if I were you.

For those with a base camp that want the fire experience, you might try something like this: https://www.campingworld.com/mr.-ba...4lsH4X4I-wbBpjDIFtUaAgCnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

come2elmo

WKR
we called the FS for our area and it will be extended until there is a significant increase in moisture so don't count on it happening anytime soon. But you can use propane heaters.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Well as far as I can understand the current statewide ban is in place through tomorrow, or through Oct 7th, its surprisingly difficult to find info online. Some articles states "through September" while at least one I found says Oct 7th. Regardless, I'm guessing the ban will be extended through the CO rifle seasons. We leave on the 7th for 1st rifle, will be my first backcountry hunt without the promise of being able to warm up by the fire at camp after hiking back in the dark. Thankfully weather looks to be a good bit milder than last year.

Anyone in CO see it going any differently?
I agree - it is surprisingly difficult to find the regs. There is a link to the Governor's executive order in some of the older news articles about the fire ban. That executive order was been extended, but I don't know when it expires at this point. Regardless, I think the Governor's order is the minimum restriction and local jurisdictions frequently have more restrictive regulations. I called the County Sheriff for the area I hunt and they had all the info I needed.

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
The newest Lake Fork Guy video who hunted with the Born and Raised guys in Colorado clearly shows them having an open fire during their last day of their hunt. They even mentioned the fire ban a few videos back. Video starts at 3:48.

Ucsdryder

WKR
The newest Lake Fork Guy video who hunted with the Born and Raised guys in Colorado clearly shows them having an open fire during their last day of their hunt. They even mentioned the fire ban a few videos back. Video starts at 3:48.

Did the little skinny guy cry this year on camera? He drives me nuts. I hope they send them a fine.

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
You'd have to be more specific about which little skinny guy you're referring to. It seems like they've all cried at some point in time or another.

tdhanses

WKR

I hope that guy gets a fine!!

“ PROHIBITIONS: This Order prohibits the following acts in the Restricted Area:
Order #ARP-2020-09
1)
2) 3) 4)
5)
6) 7)
Igniting, building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, including fires in developed recreation sites (campgrounds and picnic areas), charcoal grills and barbecues, coal and wood burning stoves, and sheepherder’s stoves. 36 CFR § 261.52(a).
Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, trailer, or building. 36 CFR § 261.52(c).
Blasting, welding, or operating acetylene or other torch with open”

Mustang06

FNG
FWIW...

I spoke to the USFS Gunnison Ranger District folks on Monday.

While open fires are indeed banned for now and likely to be extended...they said that a wood stove is permissible as long as it has a working and fully functional spark arrestor installed. We are backpacking into wilderness with a SeekOutside Redcliff and an ultralight titanium stove we planned to use for morning and evening heat.

I made sure to ask several times to make sure, and they assured me as long as we had a spark arrestor installed we would be OK under the Stage 1 fire restrictions. But definitely no campfires...

So I would call the District office where you will be to double check if you are concerned.

Laramie

WKR
Many areas are in stage 2 so check before going out. My deer and elk area is currently all but gone from an active fire that appears to be human started. Turning tags in and scrambling to make something of this fall sucks. Please be careful with your fires guys and follow the rules for your area. They exist for good reason.

Jkr61

FNG
I understand the desire to have a fire but one spark- I say that again ONE SPARK- that floats off and starts a fire endangers my family, home, town and everything that is important to us. You then go home to the Midwest where I grew up back to your family, home and town while we try to rebuild our lives because you just had to have a fire. Please take a second and dwell on it before you start that fire.

Poser

WKR
I understand the desire to have a fire but one spark- I say that again ONE SPARK- that floats off and starts a fire endangers my family, home, town and everything that is important to us. You then go home to the Midwest where I grew up back to your family, home and town while we try to rebuild our lives because you just had to have a fire. Please take a second and dwell on it before you start that fire.

This.

I saw several people with campfires while I was there hunting. I couldn't believe they were being so bold with all of the signs everywhere....I sure as hell didn't light a fire!

Bearsears

WKR
You can get the exact fire ban for your area (assuming its national forest) by going to that forests page. I just looked my area up and its under a stage 2 ban as of today through 10/31 or until its rescinded.
"Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire. 36 CFR § 261.52(a).
This includes charcoal grills and barbecues, coal and wood burning stoves and sheepherder’s
stoves
and
includes use in developed camping and picnic grounds.
EXCEPT: Devices using pressurized liquid or gas (stoves, grills or lanterns) that include shut
-off valves are permitted when used in an area at least three feet or more from flammable
material such as grasses or pine needles."

For those coming out here, I'll say this isnt a joke. Its incredibly dry and the forests are like tinder boxes right now. Bring a warmer bag and respect the ban. Unless we get alot of moisture and the ban gets lifted, I wont be packing in my titanium stove. Its gonna be a cold 2nd season I guess. Layer up!