Colorado Fire Ban

Bearsears

WKR
I saw several people with campfires while I was there hunting. I couldn't believe they were being so bold with all of the signs everywhere....I sure as hell didn't light a fire!
Did you by chance notice if they were residents, non residents, or both?

Jkr61

FNG
I saw several people with campfires while I was there hunting. I couldn't believe they were being so bold with all of the signs everywhere....I sure as hell didn't light a fire!
I apologize if it came across as me accusing you of having a fire. I was trying to put it out there as a plea for everyone to think before lighting a fire. I also know it’s not just people from the Midwest but people from everywhere that really want a fire and don’t think of what can happen. My experience of moving out West I just didn’t get it that out here is so completely different in terms of moisture that I let it creep into my post above. Have a great hunt this fall!

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
The weather looks to be 20-30 degrees warmer this year as far as overnight lows compared to last year, kinda looking forward to not wearing myself out cutting firewood after hiking around all day ha!

Poser

WKR
Well, this guy seemed to have no issue posting pics of his burning fire to a FB group and arguing with anyone who called him out on it.

e58826c57a35295a4661dec7a8c89cde.jpg

AZmark

WKR
This is a great thread about having some common sense. I live in the White Mtns of eastern AZ. My home, 2 brothers homes, and my parents home was in the path of the largest wildfire to date in the state of AZ in 2011. The Wallow fire was started by a couple of idiots camping and left to fish after having a fire and left it burning. They also left their dog tied to a tree in camp. When they got back the fire had taken off, killed their dog, and they packed up and ran. It was the dogs tags that investigators used to track the idiots down and they did get prosecuted. The mountains to the west of my house burned one day and the southern mountains burned the next day all while were were putting out spot fires on the properties. My pasture of about 18 acres burned but at least it was only dry grass. Luckily there was an area around our valley that had been thinned a few years previously and the fire quit crowning and just burnt on the ground all the way up to our houses. Over 500,000 acres burned in this fire.

So please be careful and maybe just do without a roaring campfire this year.

lak2004

WKR
FWIW...

I spoke to the USFS Gunnison Ranger District folks on Monday.

While open fires are indeed banned for now and likely to be extended...they said that a wood stove is permissible as long as it has a working and fully functional spark arrestor installed. We are backpacking into wilderness with a SeekOutside Redcliff and an ultralight titanium stove we planned to use for morning and evening heat.

I made sure to ask several times to make sure, and they assured me as long as we had a spark arrestor installed we would be OK under the Stage 1 fire restrictions. But definitely no campfires...

So I would call the District office where you will be to double check if you are concerned.
Interesting. My buddy called the San Juan columbine district and asked the same and was told, no fire whatsoever. Wish they would be consistent across different districts.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mustang06

FNG
I agree with the comments on here...it seems common sense would dictate we avoid fires unless it s a true survival emergency.

It also seems the different districts are handling things differently. This was posted yesterday on the USFS site for the Grand Mesa/Uncompagreh/Gunnison (GMUG) region
126681.jpeg

Stay safe out there!

Brendan

WKR
Stage 1 where I'm going. With that said, forecast for first rifle looks to be clear and dry. I'll probably be up early, and hunting late, so doubt I'll have time for it anyways.

PROHIBITIONS:
1)Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire. This includes charcoal barbecues and grills.

EXCEPT: Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire in constructed, permanent fire pits or fire grates within developed recreation sites and the use of portable stoves, lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum, pressurized liquid fuel or a fully enclosed (sheepherder type) stove with a ¼” spark arrester type screen is permitted.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I agree with the comments on here...it seems common sense would dictate we avoid fires unless it s a true survival emergency.

It also seems the different districts are handling things differently. This was posted yesterday on the USFS site for the Grand Mesa/Uncompagreh/Gunnison (GMUG) region
View attachment 220619

Stay safe out there!

But, is there a state order that still supersedes that? Will call the local CPW office today.

Not sure I understand why everyone thinks they have to have a fire while they are camping. I guess its that innate caveman survival security blanket thing.

I'll start a fire if I'm in danger of freezing to death in the middle of nowhere. Other than that, no fires for me.

edwal

FNG
Interesting. My buddy called the San Juan columbine district and asked the same and was told, no fire whatsoever. Wish they would be consistent across different districts.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Weird I called them and they said "sheepherder" type stoves are legal as long as they had an approved spark arrestor ?? I used mine with extreme caution and yeah, there is no way I'd have an open fire now or do anything stupid with the current conditions.

Jkr61

FNG
If I find campsites with obvious fires while out hunting in the coming weeks I will do my best to not destroy your camp. But maybe I won’t be able to control my temper and everything will be destroyed and then I’ll say I’m sorry I didn’t think that would happen.

Jkr61

FNG
I know that last comment might light a dumpster fire but if it keeps one person from lighting a fire because of fear of what a true local might do to their camp then so be it

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
If I find campsites with obvious fires while out hunting in the coming weeks I will do my best to not destroy your camp. But maybe I won’t be able to control my temper and everything will be destroyed and then I’ll say I’m sorry I didn’t think that would happen.

I understand your sentiment, but if the NFS is saying things like posted above by the GMUG NF then maybe start by destroying their office on the way in?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
For Immediate Release:
Public Land Agencies Rescind Stage 1 Fire Restrictions

Montrose, Colorado, October 1, 2020 – The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Gunnison, Uncompahgre and Tres Rios Field Offices; National Park Service (NPS), Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and Curecanti National Recreation Area and the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison (GMUG) National Forests will transition out of all current fire restrictions effective at 12:01 a.m. Friday, October 2. Fire Managers based their decision on specific conditions such as fuel moisture measurements in vegetation, predicted weather and the amount of current fire activity in the area. Using the best available science, recent measurements and predictive models have shown an improvement in these conditions leading to a decrease in wildfire risk.

Although fire restrictions have been lifted, fire managers would like to remind visitors to continue to be attentive of their actions and surroundings especially in areas with dry vegetation or dead trees by practicing smart wildfire prevention behavior while recreating and hunting on public lands.

Recreational users on public lands should keep a few things in mind that can help prevent an unintentional wildfire. To reduce wildfire risk, please consider the following:

• Practicing proper vehicle maintenance; ensuring that tow chains are secured, and a vehicle has no dragging parts, check tire pressure and properly maintaining your breaks. Even chains dragging along the ground, such as those on ATVs, can spark fires.
• When target shooting taking a few simple precautions can prevent devastating results: place your target on dirt or gravel, switch to paper targets, avoid incendiary targets and exploding ammunition, bring a shovel and fire extinguisher, and report any fires by calling 911.
• Fireworks are never permitted on public lands.
• Never leave a fire unattended and make sure that you completely put out your campfire before leaving your campsite. Practice the drown, stir, feel method when extinguishing your campfire. Use water or dirt to douse the fire, stir the ashes and if necessary continue to add water or dirt until the fire is smothered.
• When smoking, always dispose of cigarette debris in an ashtray.
• Avoid driving and parking in tall grasses. Exhaust particles and hot exhaust pipes can start grass fires. Park your vehicles/trailers and off-highway vehicles away from dry grass or brush.

For more fire-related information on Colorado’s Western Slope please visit: http://www.WestSlopeFireInfo.com/

Even an accidental fire start can result in the individual being held responsible including fines and/or jail time. Visit One Less Spark (http://www.readyforwildfire.org/Prevent-Wildfire/ ) for more great tips on how to prevent wildfire and be prepared for fire season. To learn more about campfire safety visit www.smokeybear.com.

Before heading outside, be sure to “Know Before You Go!” Helpful information about planning your trip can be found on the “Know Before You Go” webpage. Regulations vary between land management agencies, learn what is permitted before you use fire.

Adhere to the Leave No Trace Principles of outdoor ethics to leave your favorite spot ready for the next visitors to enjoy. Keep yourself safe while recreating outdoors by checking the weather before you go, taking the appropriate equipment including maps, carrying enough food and water, letting someone know where you are going and when you plan to be back, and utilizing suggested or required safety equipment.

For more information on regulations for DFPC please visit: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dfpc
For more information on regulations for the BLM-Uncompahgre Field Office please visit: https://www.blm.gov/office/uncompahgre-field-office
For more information on regulations for the BLM-Tres Rios Field Office please visit: https://www.blm.gov/office/tres-rios-field-office
For more information on regulations for the NPS, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park please visit:
https://www.nps.gov/blca/index.htm
For more information on regulations for the Curecanti National Recreation Area please visit: https://www.nps.gov/cure/index.htm
For more information on regulations for the GMUG please visit: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gmug/home/?cid=STELPRDB5420083

BLM - Southwest Colorado Fire and Aviation Management Unit
BLM Colorado Fire
Colorado Division of Fire Prevention and Control
Curecanti National Recreation Area
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Fire Managers based their decision on specific conditions such as fuel moisture measurements in vegetation, predicted weather and the amount of current fire activity in the area. Using the best available science, recent measurements and predictive models have shown an improvement in these conditions leading to a decrease in wildfire risk.

That's really weird because nothing has changed since the middle of September, and forecasts all show warm and dry across the state. So I have no idea what "science" they are using to determine the current conditions. The drought monitors still show extreme drought for most of the state, and we're still filled up with the smoke from current fires.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
That's really weird because nothing has changed since the middle of September, and forecasts all show warm and dry across the state. So I have no idea what "science" they are using to determine the current conditions. The drought monitors still show extreme drought for most of the state, and we're still filled up with the smoke from current fires.

Agree. I copied that from the GMUG Fire information Facebook btw, those aren't my words just so everyone is clear ha.

Jkr61

FNG
I understand your sentiment, but if the NFS is saying things like posted above by the GMUG NF then maybe start by destroying their office on the way in?
Thanks Chris for bringing me back down to earth! I won’t be destroying campsites or government offices