Colorado first rifle zero point draw or otc second rifle

First Rifle 0 Point Draw vs OTC Second Rifle

• Total voters
Hey team,

I am definitely new to this...
I have been saving up and buying random gear to go on my first elk hunt and I have decided on Colorado for my first time. I was wondering if anyone had any input on whether or not to do an otc hunt during second rifle season or if i should put in for a first season 0 point draw unit. What are some pros and cons of each. I am traditionally a whitetail hunter in Ohio and and no experience in the backcountry of Colorado. Planning on basically camping at the truck for the most part and then possibly going in to a spike camp for a night if we find animals someplace far away from the truck. I currently am ALMOST set up for a full backpacking hunt but realize that will be hard for my first time.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you

I am sure the rules changed or may not be the same everywhere however I recall seeing 1st season as either-sex where as otc I believe is bull only. Down side with first season is that there is no overlapping deer season which would be a draw.

2nd season otc would overlap with a deer season that would still be a draw. There would be alot more hunters too.

So...if it was me I would try the 1st rifle season. I would also look into the low cost otc bear tag as well since they may not be denned up at the time.

*get tire chains if you have not already!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Look at the statistics on CPWD's website as far as draw odds and success rates with 0 points and 2nd choice. You should be able to find some decent units that take 0 points or possibly pick up a leftover tag. OTC is nice if you need flexibility but it does take extra hiking and planning to get away from the crowds. You could also subscribe to gohunt. They have a very good filtering system for draw odds, trophy quality, success rates etc. They also have a map system similar to onx now. Learn as much as you can about the area you plan to hunt before you go either by escouting or boots on the ground. Learn access roads, possible camping spots, elk bedding/feeding areas etc. Its alot of work but worth it. Good luck!

LFC911

WKR
Do both: put in for the PP 1st choice and unit draw for the 2nd choice and if you don't draw, go OTC. I would much rather do a draw unit than an OTC tag, but if you've never been at least you're hunting.

Overdrive

WKR
My vote would be 1st season, 2nd season IMO is the most over hunted and worst season of all in Colorado. At least with first season you'll have an either sex license and a chance to at least bring home some meat if you have the opportunity. First season there is a really good chance that the Elk may still be bugling and some late rut activity to catch those missed cows from earlier.
Plus in 1st season you won't have Deer hunters out and about either. I hunted 1st this last year in an area I hadn't hunted in 4-5 year's, so I wasn't sure what to expect, I saw no hunters in the woods and only a couple trucks parked along the road and most of those guys were gone in a couple hours. We had Elk walk right into our camp opening day at 1130 in the morning but no shot, then that evening my hunting buddy got a bull and it was only 300 yards from the truck which was parked along the highway, got to go deep they say SMH!

Just make sure if you do a 0 point draw tag that it isn't also an OTC unit!!!
What exactly does that mean?

Most units that first season is an easy draw are likely OTC for archery and second/third. There are no OTC first season hunts.

rideold

WKR
What exactly does that mean?

Most units that first season is an easy draw are likely OTC for archery and second/third. There are no OTC first season hunts.
I don't know about 1st season but I know there are some later season hunts that are both draw and OTC. The unit I normally hunt is a draw for cow elk but OTC for bull. In the end that makes the unit really just an OTC unit even though some people got their tags through the draw....and I know of some that used points to get the tag!

I hunt a 0 pt 1st season draw every year, and it’s still very crowded. We do really well tho.

I hunt a 0 pt 1st season draw every year, and it’s still very crowded. We do really well tho.
I wonder if rifle seasons being so short compounds that. Archery season has a month to spread folks out and since the majority only hunt for 7-10 days, it’s like 3-4 mini seasons to split up tag holders. Whereas with rifle, everyone is going to be there at the same time.

I’ve done one of each now and the 1st rifle was way less crowded. Didn’t get a bull either year but enjoyed both hunts.