Colorado Fur Trapping

Hnthrdr

WKR
You should! Colorado has a lot of cats. I kind of geek out with lures, I have quite a few and I use different ones at each set and then take notes on what catches. To be honest, most of them will work if the conditions are right. I really like anything by Halseth, O'Gormans, Dobbins and Grahams. This one was on O'Gormans Powder River Cat Call. I caught another the very next night in the same trap. Once you catch one that trap gets really hot. I will often use the foot off one I have previously caught as well.

If you have any questions let me know.
Awesome thanks for the info! Season is right around the corner should be fun!

Last winter was my first run at fur trapping, mainly targeting beavers and muskrats. Its challenging here in Colorado since we're handcuffed to using box traps (no foot holds, snares, conibears, etc except on private land). With that I'm hoping to get some insight and tips from some veteran CO trappers, or general trappers experienced with box traps. I'm looking forward to my second trapping season, hopefully this time with a few pelts to show for it.
IMG_5558.jpeg
Figured out how to upload pics! Stay tuned for pics of the beavers coons and muskrat. They are not as fancy as the comstocks but they’re cheaper and they work!

Attachments

• IMG_5563.jpeg
    IMG_5563.jpeg
    738 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5560.jpeg
    IMG_5560.jpeg
    680.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5561.jpeg
    IMG_5561.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 8

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 620825
Figured out how to upload pics! Stay tuned for pics of the beavers coons and muskrat. They are not as fancy as the comstocks but they’re cheaper and they work!
Are these your muskrat traps??
I would love to do more water trapping I just never see many rats and beavers in my area.
Do you ever catch mink in live traps?

Coming from a trapping family, I've got respect for anyone thats willing to keep on with the pursuit in the current political/social climate. Its a shame but its cool to see what people do to adapt and overcome.

Talked to a guy in Washington state that was into bobcat trapping, similar restrictions to what you're dealing with. His best story was catching a young male bobcat in his live trap, but a cougar checked the set first and spent the night rolling the cage around trying to get at him. He was on the small side so he ended up letting him go. I can only imagine the night that bobcat spent getting rolled around and his reaction to every live trap he encountered moving forward.

Last edited:

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Coming from a trapping family, I've got respect for anyone thats willing to keep on with the pursuit in the current political/social climate. Its a shame but its cool to see what people do to adapt and overcome.

Talked to a guy in Washington state that was into bobcat trapping, similar restrictions to what you're dealing with. His best story was catching a young male bobcat in his live trap, but a cougar checked the set first and spent the night rolling the cage around trying to get at him. He was on the small side so he ended up letting him go. I can only imagine the night that bobcat spent getting rolled around and his reaction to every live trap he encountered moving forward.
IMG_2867.jpeg
We’ve gotta keep these traditions alive whatever it takes.
My son and I checking cages two years ago.

Are these your muskrat traps??
I would love to do more water trapping I just never see many rats and beavers in my area.
Do you ever catch mink in live traps?
Those are 3-4 feet long so they’re for beaver the rat traps are the same but with no trigger and about 8” square and about 1-1.5’ long around here they’re sometimes tricky to find depending on the water flow in the streams and creeks. There are certainly enough to eat

Those are 3-4 feet long so they’re for beaver the rat traps are the same but with no trigger and about 8” square and about 1-1.5’ long around here they’re sometimes tricky to find depending on the water flow in the streams and creeks. There are certainly enough to eat
And also no I try to avoid mink because I don’t eat them and if there are mink you can guarantee the muskrat will vanish soon as they’re exceedingly good hunters. I offset my triggers to avoid otter too as they’re not a species we are allowed to take