Colorado GMU 1 or 10 archery?

Looking for quality of hunt info on these two units for archery mule deer. Can’t seem to find anything with Google. I’m one of those guys who puts in for points every year without looking at what it takes to draw. I currently have 7 points which I believe would allow me to draw unit 1 and I would have enough for 10 in a few years if it’s worth waiting for. I’m an elk hunter but put points in for everything. I believe I’m going to be hunting elk in October next year which opens my September up for another species (or a B cow tag).

Would either of these units provide a solid experience and chance at a decent Buck? I’m not a Mule deer guy and have never hunted them.

Looking for quality of hunt info on these two units for archery mule deer. Can’t seem to find anything with Google. I’m one of those guys who puts in for points every year without looking at what it takes to draw. I currently have 7 points which I believe would allow me to draw unit 1 and I would have enough for 10 in a few years if it’s worth waiting for. I’m an elk hunter but put points in for everything. I believe I’m going to be hunting elk in October next year which opens my September up for another species (or a B cow tag).

Would either of these units provide a solid experience and chance at a decent Buck? I’m not a Mule deer guy and have never hunted them.
Hey man. I may be speaking out of turn here since I haven't hunted those areas or know anyone who has, but having driven through that area a little I would say those are not your best bets for a guy who has never hunted muleys.

Even if you wait long enough for unit 10 I would expect it would be hard to find very many deer to hunt on public ground if you haven't hunted that desert-dry juniper-type country before. The best bet in that kind of stuff is to focus on the private ag fields and try and put a stalk on a buck after they've bedded on public somewhere.

Maybe someone else would come along to correct me, but I'd look at places with a few more mule deer, or try to hunt a leftover/2nd choice deer tag in a low-density unit or part of a unit to get a feel for what that kind of hunting is like. Then come out to one of those two areas you mention so you're not putting all those eggs into a type of hunt you've not tried yet.

OP
streetdoctor
Hey man. I may be speaking out of turn here since I haven't hunted those areas or know anyone who has, but having driven through that area a little I would say those are not your best bets for a guy who has never hunted muleys.

Even if you wait long enough for unit 10 I would expect it would be hard to find very many deer to hunt on public ground if you haven't hunted that desert-dry juniper-type country before. The best bet in that kind of stuff is to focus on the private ag fields and try and put a stalk on a buck after they've bedded on public somewhere.

Maybe someone else would come along to correct me, but I'd look at places with a few more mule deer, or try to hunt a leftover/2nd choice deer tag in a low-density unit or part of a unit to get a feel for what that kind of hunting is like. Then come out to one of those two areas you mention so you're not putting all those eggs into a type of hunt you've not tried yet.
That sounds like solid advice. Definitely never hunted in that terrain either. Thanks.

Jimss

WKR
The quality of bucks is likely going to continue to drop across all of Western Colo the next 4 years with the late season structure, increase in tags, and later rifle season dates. If it were me I would draw a tag as soon as possible.

CO2130

WKR
If you’re a nonresident you won’t draw unit 1. There’s one tag and it will go to a resident. I also would go 10 over 1, but there’s lots of other things I’d consider with that point level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk