Colorado GMU 12

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
I reached out to the forest service and asked for some info on outfitters permitted to pack out game in the Routte National Forest. The attachment is all they sent me. Its good info for the area but doesnt cover any outfitter info. Any one have any contact ifo for packers in the Routte National Forest in 12.

blackdawg

WKR
I have horses and will be going to that area for muzzleloader, when are you going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
K

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going the second week of archery and staying until I either fill my tag or the season ends..

blackdawg

WKR
Be aware, in Colorado, its not legal to hire someone who doesn't have a permit to pack.

Be aware that outfitters don’t want you in the backcountry where most of the game is located and helping you out for a few measly benjamins is screwing themselves. Unless you find someone who isn’t wanting to get into your pocket book, the rare good guy in this world!, don’t be surprised if one of these rat finks snitch you out for paying someone to help you! Make sure to demand they show you proof of their permits before loading that meat on to their stock and handing over the benjamins,

Last edited:

AGPank

WKR
Sheep are usually off the forest around Labor Day. They clear the country when they come off the mountain. Last year they pushed elk across the valley. I misplayed a nice bull 100 yards out the cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RO1459

FNG
There are two sources of packers for GMU 12 that I know will help you. First is Jeanne Horne with J Bar H Outfitters. She charged $500 last year. Don't know if she has raised her fees. The second is Sombrero Horse rental. They also charged $500 last season. Both of these are located in the Maropas Trailhead area, Sleepy Cat Peak area. Good luck with your hunt. I hope you need to find a good packer.

As someone else mentioned, be careful who you hire to help you. They must be licensed to pack elk/deer.

MObucks

FNG
I hunted the flattops last year and before my hunt I called a handful of outfitters in my unit to ask about packing an elk out. Most of them were around $300-$350.

Elite7

FNG
I’m headed there this year for 1st rifle. From the outfitters i talked to most of them said they would most likely be too busy with their drop camps and guided hunters during 1st rifle. I imagine archery and later seasons are less busy for them And would be more promising.