Colorado GMU 22 mid November

Rjflynn71

FNG
Anyone have any experience getting around in Colorado’s unit 22 this time of year? I have a late season hunt planned in November and I’ve never been out there before. It looks like the weather has been pretty mild this year with temps still in the 50s. I’m trying to plan out my hunt and hope to figure out what roads I could expect to be available to use with my 4x4 Jeep Wrangler. Are most of those roads in that unit pretty accessible?

Thanks!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide! In this age of instant search results we don’t publicly post very specific info as to keep areas from being over ran. I know you didn’t ask anything animal specific but you would be surprised what a couple vague bread crumbs might give up. Not saying that you are looking for a honey hole but anyone with the internet can read this. Here’s a good read for new members https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/how-to-survive-on-rokslide-for-fngs.277025/

To somewhat answer your questions. Start by identifying what land it is, private, blm, FS, state etc. Then identify road type, county, trail, FS road etc. That will cover most of the legalities of getting down a road. Next check with appropriate agency for any closures or clearance classifications. Soil type plays into how sticky and sloppy a road can get. There’s no hard fast rule when it comes to if a road is gravel or loose dirt just because it’s labeled a specific type or land jurisdiction. Finally look at a topo map to identify any severely steep or narrow sections (you probably want to avoid if weather hits).

A few recommendations; tire chains, muddy roads are best traveled at night or early morning when froze. Sage brush is both strong and weak, but always the opposite of what you need, have low expectations if you winch to it.

OP
R

Rjflynn71

FNG
Thank you! I appreciate the helpful information and yes, I am not looking for specifics on finding anyone’s spot and I do get what you’re saying. My goal is to get an understanding of what the road system is like in the area and try to identify what I can and cannot use.

This type of hunt is a new experience for me. I’m used to hunting public land here in New Jersey where all of the roads in the State Forest are available to use, unless they’ve blocked it off due to some endangered plant life in the area or it’s just too narrow to drive down.

This unit appears to be mostly BLM but some of the roads also run through private land that is not part of the BLM. I read somewhere that land owners in Colorado can block the roads, even county roads, if they don’t want the traffic on running through their property. I’m hoping to avoid ending up driving around in circles trying to get to a spot I want to hunt, if at all possible.

I’m using GoHunt to plan my hunt and unfortunately they don’t provide road details for this unit like they do on some of the others.

Thanks again for the advice. It’s definitely appreciated.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The road thing can be tricky, a public road can technically become private at the property line.

Also if you are in a situation where you’re legally traveling a county road through private property keep the following in mind; there’s no guarantee of easement off either side of the road. You can’t stop on or pull off or even slow down to look at something. You can’t drive excessively slow for the sake of looking at/for animals. About all your allowed to do is drive the speed limit through it.

Check on oil&gas property lines. For example when using OnX those don’t show up until zooming in close.

J

Jaym0000

I have had a lot of good luck with the Forest service website. Checking their maps for roads and what roads are open/closed and when they close. The FSA website and then just find the area you are going in to.

Definitely bring chains for all 4 wheels. Not for snow but for potential mud. The BLM roads get very slick with even a little snow/ice. They are usually good but their Colorado clay base is extremely slick and good tread alone may not get you where you want to go. There is very, very little public water in this unit. Almost all is on private land. Bring whatever water you will need with you. 22 is a migration unit so many hunters will be in the northwest area hoping for the migration to help push elk into this unit.

However, unit 22 does have a decent resident herd of elk. If you can find them you can have the chance at a good hunt and occasionally some very decent bulls. Be sure to check out info on the state wildlife areas too! This is a very high point deer unit. Many of the deer hunters may be happy to tell you where they've seen elk if you can relay where you've seen deer. Good luck!

Donjuan

WKR
I would verify all BLM land boundaries with the local office. On X is nowhere close to correct in unit 211 north of Meeker. Hopefully they are better in unit 22 as far as accuracy.