Colorado GMU 40 vs 76

SRE

FNG
My 80 year old out of state father has saved up 14 points for elk. He is still in really good shape, for 80, but not sure how long that will last so we need to use his points this year or next. He is still able to hike a mile or two with limitations. There are only 4 units to max out his points and I have narrowed it down to 40 for 2nd or 3rd rifle and 76 for 3rd or 4th rifle. I like 40 but am worried about access to the public land and bulls moving to private for 2nd and 3rd. I should have spent time in both last summer but family and work got prioritized. Between onX and goHunt the public does look spotty and concerning for access. If anyone has any info please let me know. If not 40 we will head to 76 and stay out of the wilderness areas. Thanks!

Riplip

WKR
Welcome to the forum. Maybe go over to the FNE an introduce yourself. Asking for info, especially on specific units is generally not received that well. Haven't hunted either unit so can't really offer any help. Good luck.

Jimss

WKR
I've spent a fair amount of time in 40. It is mostly private on top with limited access. The country off the top that is public is some of the nastiest canyons in Colo....also with private land cutting off some of the canyons and other public land. I would be a little spooked sending my 80 year old pops into that rugged country!

I don't know much about 76 but just briefly looking at a land status map it is almost all public land. Unlike Wyoming, nonres are welcome to hunt inside wilderness areas in Colorado. I think 76 would be more 80 year old friendly but I have no idea how it would be during rifle seasons for elk?

Poser

WKR
76 has a lot of ground with very high elevation. I would consider that aspect for an 80 year old and also the fact that high country will not be late season friendly. Based on that, I think you would need to co sided the San Luis Valley portion of the unit. Even that is ~7500 feet.

Reactions: CJF
I've seen a number of threads similar to this one in the last year or so, here or on HT. 40 vs 76 vs 49, etc. Honestly I don't love either of the options you're listing for an 80 year old DIY hunter. If you can scrape together the cash and hire a guide in 40 then you could bag a really nice bull.

I hunted 76 and generally, elk are near treeline in every drainage that I hunted. Although there's likely some areas less challenging than where I was, I'd not recommend it for any 80 yr old no matter what shape they are in. I have a buddy that says he wants to go there and he's early 60's (doesn't exercise) and I think he's going to be disappointed unless he fills his tag in the 1st couple days. There were people I ran into that quit hunting because they said they could see elk all day but pointed to the top of treeline and said no way in hell could they get up there!

Vandy321

WKR
76 is rough country...I dont have the points to draw it, but if I did, I'd be very selective of who I brought with me. I spent a few days up there last spring just for fun, and it was an ass-kicker.

I’ve seen elk in areas I would call low in 76. That was during the rut. I would guess there would be an elk or two there later in the year also. If he draws 76 let me know and I’ll fill you in on where I saw them.

But dang it doesn’t seem like a real friendly unit for someone 80 years old.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted 76 in some of the lower areas and there are some elk low in this unit.(Low is 9k in 76) That being said an elk hunt for someone who is 80 is going to be a challenge.

Neither unit is a good choice for a public land DIY hunt for an 80 year old no matter how good a shape he is in. Keep looking in lessor point units.

the ONLY portion for him would be 40, private land, guided.If you can afford it, do it. If not keep looking.

OP
S

SRE

FNG
Thanks for the all the responses! Everyone is saying what I was afraid of but the good news is that I found a work acquaintance that has private access in 49 that we are going to hunt. It has great access and is only 1.5 hours from my house.

MAC1585

FNG
Thanks for the all the responses! Everyone is saying what I was afraid of but the good news is that I found a work acquaintance that has private access in 49 that we are going to hunt. It has great access and is only 1.5 hours from my house.
Good deal.That’s awesome that at 80 he’s still getting out in the mountains. Enjoy every minute of it, I would give anything for one more elk trip w/ my grandpa. Good luck to y’all!

OFFHNTN

WKR

This is awesome! And good on you for doing this with/for your Dad!