Colorado GMU 49 Archery Elk

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
Been building point for years and now i want to use them. My plan is to try and burn my 8 points on this unit in 2022. I have good chance at drawing it(maybe 100%), and success % has been decent overall for this unit. Probably shoot for last 10 days of season.

Im pretty set on this unit, anyone talk me into going another direction?

Scoot

WKR
I haven't hunted it. I know some people who have had good hunts there and some who have struggled there too. Given your point total, I think it's a decent option.

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't hunted it. I know some people who have had good hunts there and some who have struggled there too. Given your point total, I think it's a decent option.
Kinda what ive been hearing also, good chuck of wilderness to look at as well.

ahlgringo

WKR
Unit has gotten a lot of notoriety in the last few years (check out the point creep). But... with 8, decent place to use em. Last year took 8 to guarantee NR tag, this year I am sure not all with 8 will draw.

tdhanses

WKR
Wow, this was a 4pt unit not long ago and really that’s about what it should be, glad I hunted it a few years ago. I don’t think i’d use 8pts there but really since burning pts i don’t know what options are out there.

Vandy321

WKR
Been building point for years and now i want to use them. My plan is to try and burn my 8 points on this unit in 2022. I have good chance at drawing it(maybe 100%), and success % has been decent overall for this unit. Probably shoot for last 10 days of season.

Im pretty set on this unit, anyone talk me into going another direction?
How do you know success rates are good when CPWs has zero reporting requirements and their surveys are all voluntary?

Scoot

WKR
Wow, this was a 4pt unit not long ago and really that’s about what it should be, glad I hunted it a few years ago. I don’t think i’d use 8pts there but really since burning pts i don’t know what options are out there.
Based on what I've been told, this is true. That being said, 8 points today isn't what 8 points was five years ago! Point creep is a bitch! I think it's hard to justify 8 points there, but I fear that'll be the case in most places that require that number of points.

Vandy321

WKR
Great point, i didnt know that about Colorado.
I take everything I read in those reports with a grain of salt. Not to say it's not correct for 49, but I, for one, would not report success if I'd found a honey hole in say OTC. May be different in a high point unit, but I just don't trust voluntary data.

49 is pretty and there are elk, it's CO. I say go for it, but best to get some scouting in this summer too

It's not point creep, it's internet creep. I know of several units loaded with elk and thank god the internet hasn't "outed" them "YET"

How do you know success rates are good when CPWs has zero reporting requirements and their surveys are all voluntary?
Exactly, when I got into western hunting I did a ton of research on units and then someone told me about the survey. I believe the online data is very skewed. Some of it is good and some of it isn’t. You have to learn to sift through the bs. Making phone calls is pretty worthless as well. I can’t tell you how many calls I’ve made to cpw forest service and anyone else trying to get an idea of what’s there and those who answer the phones are clueless. I actually had one lady tell me that there was no aspen in the otc units. Lol can’t make it up. My point being do your homework and go have fun just don’t spend much time thinking about success rates. Best wishes!

brettpsu

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure 8 will do it. It's been jumping a full point every year. Just guessing 50% or less odds with 8. If 49 goes to the 80/20 split it could be a mid teens unit quick

Ucsdryder

WKR
I take everything I read in those reports with a grain of salt. Not to say it's not correct for 49, but I, for one, would not report success if I'd found a honey hole in say OTC. May be different in a high point unit, but I just don't trust voluntary data.

49 is pretty and there are elk, it's CO. I say go for it, but best to get some scouting in this summer too
Probably should take them with 2-3 grains of salt. I always laugh when the survey shows up in the e-mail.

sivart

WKR
I recommend anyone with multiple points should burn them in CO, before the wolves f everything up. That's what I'm doing

goosenado

FNG
Howdy. Looking for any updates on how this unit is currently being hunted. I have 9 points I need to burn and my grandparents have a cabin up Weston pass (MML) that I'm thinking of basing out for Sept. Any thoughts on how busy that part of the unit is? Any help would be appreciated.

We were saving for 49 but realized we would never catch it. We scouted it for two summers. We would have applied if we thought we could catch it. Saw one of the biggest, coolest bulls of my life in there. My wife was actually the one that saw him first.