Colorado GMU 69, 84, 86, 691, 861 - Antelope Muzzleloader

Hey Everyone,

I've got a tag for a doe antelope this weekend in GMU 69, 84, 86, 691, 861 and was hoping I could get a little advice from anyone who may have hunted/been around these units before. I have done pretty extensive map studying and have compiled a list of small tracts of public land I can access, but having never been in these units before, I have no idea what to expect in terms of where the pronghorn like to hang out, or if there even are any.

I hunted (unsuccessfully) for a doe pronghorn in WY last Fall, and I only found them in areas that were completely flat. There is much less flat, prairie looking public land in these units and I was wondering if I should be focusing on the areas with some rolling hills and some more deviation in the landscape, or stick to the flat, antelope-looking country?

There are a few places near Farsita in GMU 84 that look alright and some others near Westcliffe in GMU 69 but it is hard for me to commit to one area over another come Saturday morning. Do you think the best approach would be to just get a list of pretty much all accessible public land and just drive, drive, and drive around some more?

I just spent a week in the woods striking out chasing elk, spirits are low and any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
I live about 30 min from Westcliffe and spend a lot of time in that area. I've never hunted pronghorn there but have seen them in all different parts of the valley. If you go into DeWeese Res from the west like you are going to the north side there is some BLM to the west of the county road. I always see antelope in that vicinity. Weather or not they are on the public vs private I'm not sure. Also, there is some BLM north of Silvercliff and I have seen them around there as well. I would just start at one end and start jumping around checking different areas till you find some. I got one last year with my ML and a decoy seemed to help us.

OP
backcountrymuzzy
JO, thanks for your reply and advice, it is much appreciated. I went out on Saturday and hit up about 15 spots of BLM/State land off HWY 69 between Westcliffe to where it meets up with HWY 25. I saw probably 50 antelope, only one on public land but she had me busted the second I was out of my truck and she was gone. Moments after that the weather turned and starting dumping hard. The largest herd I saw was actually right to the East of Silvercliff which I probably would not have seen had you not told me to check out that area. Deweese Reservoir area looked promising but all I saw there were other hunters. Thanks again for your help!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Antelope hunt 101, never stop a vehicle in view of them. They are used to seeing vehicles drive by. When you stop is when they get spooked. Drive out of sight and then stalk back.

OP
backcountrymuzzy
Lesson learned. I saw a patch of white probably 500+ yards out and stopped to check it out with the binos, once I saw it was a doe I got too excited and didn't think it through. My other ridiculous mistake was not having everything 100% ready to go for if/when I saw one. I started to put the stalk on her and realized I still had my Nikes on...I didn't deserve success that day. I've got another doe tag in WY, going to use everything I've learned and try not to screw that one up.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My first antelope I was in sneakers and street clothes. :) I drove into the area thinking I'd change into my camo clothes and bam right into the antelope. I now stop before and change what I need to, get optics/weapons ready (compliant with state regulations) and I'm ready to go incase I see something I need to move on fast. I don't shoot over my hood or anything, I just want to be able to get away from the truck quickly when I see something. Always drive out of sight, grab'n go and double back using the terrain. Keep in mind they might be watching where the truck went so try and pop out somewhere outside that line of sight when you do.

Funny how animals react differently in different areas. I hunted a muzzy tag elsewhere and shot a doe, then backed out the same way I came in out of sight and walked the short distance back to my truck to drop my muzzleloader and grab my pack. As I walked back there was a doe and a buck still standing there as I walked right at them, got inside 50yrds before they snorted and ran off. I may have shot the offspring of the other doe though so that could have been why the doe was hanging around (buck staying with the doe) and snorting at me. They actually double back when I was half through quarter and came within 50yds and snorted at me more.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
Well too bad it didn't work out. Is you WY tag ML as well? My wife has a buck rifle tag that starts next weekend so hopefully she can get it done.

Reviving am old thread...
hey, I have a doe tag for 69, 84, 86, 691, 861 rifle this coming week. I'm a single dad just trying to fill the freezer for me and my daughter.
I'm happy to do work for access to private land or pay a small trespass fee?
Just wondering if there is any advice any of you could give me for those units concerning public land. Deweese seemed crowded?
Any spot you would concentrate on?
I'm happy to trade any advice for the SW CO units like 71,74, 75, 751, 76. I have guided here for years.
Thanks very much.

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
Reviving am old thread...
hey, I have a doe tag for 69, 84, 86, 691, 861 rifle this coming week. I'm a single dad just trying to fill the freezer for me and my daughter.
I'm happy to do work for access to private land or pay a small trespass fee?
Just wondering if there is any advice any of you could give me for those units concerning public land. Deweese seemed crowded?
Any spot you would concentrate on?
I'm happy to trade any advice for the SW CO units like 71,74, 75, 751, 76. I have guided here for years.
Thanks very much.
How did this work out for you? I have the same tag this year.