Colorado GMUs 80/81 are now draw for archery

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Sure. Here’s the link. Almost 9hrs long.
I hope it gets it for you

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That one wasn't hard to predict. But if they do it like they did the SW units, they will allocate way too many tags for the draw anyway and have leftovers.

Even as a non resident I really don't mind units going to draw. One of our favorite units did several years ago, and even cut archery out last season. Even if you do have leftovers, it is still likely there are fewer hunters in those units IMO. Just means you need to plan a bit better. If you want to hunt that unit, most likely you will be able to. I think CO is getting tired of being everyone's fallback . Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
Honestly, Even as a non resident I really don't mind units going to draw. One of our favorite units did several years ago, and even cut archery out last season. Even if you do have leftovers, it is still likely there are fewer hunters in those units IMO. Just means you need to plan a bit better. If you want to hunt that unit, most likely you will be able to. I think CO is getting tired of being everyone's fallback Just my thoughts.

The residents are for sure, but the administration will gladly take the out of state cash.

Snuffer

FNG
I have hunted 81 quite a few times. The amount of hunters was ridiculous at times. Glad to see it go draw. Question is how many tags will be available?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A couple draw units I hunt have less than 200 archery tags but get more crowded than my OTC spots at times every year I've hunted them. So tag numbers can be deceiving.

Gerbdog

WKR
Sad for myself... i have a few spots down in that area i loved to hunt, every year. Now what? I had plans to get back in there 2022 ... i have 6 elk points... sure as hell aint worth 6 elk points. Guess i take a chance and put it down as my 2nd option and hopefully draw a tag? Bummer.

Yea i guess that bugs me a bit, was a Colorado high hope they would somehow allow residents in there OTC and bump it to points for non-res.... course they wouldnt do that.... still... had wild hopes.

Last edited:
OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
There was some data submitted for 80/81 that the percentage of NonRes/Res was 65%/35% with NonRes outnumbering the Res.

Gerbdog

WKR
There was some data submitted for 80/81 that the percentage of NonRes/Res was 65%/35% with NonRes outnumbering the Res.
Yea that makes a lot of sense, given the location of the 80/81 units, and i think probably most of us knew that. What do those %'s look like for other OTC units i wonder? mostly just speaking out of curiosity, not expecting anyone to have to dig up that data.

Gerbdog

WKR
Second / or third thoughts ive had on this... if say... since they moved the OTC units in SW CO to point units... and then that pushed hunters into 80/81 .... which now is moved to a point unit.... what OTC unit is next? Why not convert them all to point units if that's the eventual outcome? Imagine how crowded the last 3 standing OTC units will be? Dunno, just musing and thinking on the trajectory of this path

Poser

WKR
Across AR, OK and TX, tears of distress will be spilled into many a What-A-Burger trey. Proclamations such as:

“I guess we don’t live in a free country anymore”

“The libtards and sheeple ruined elk hunting”

And

“First they came for my game cams and I said nothing”

Will be declared. Followed by promises that “CO will never get another dime of my money!” Before promptly getting on FB and posting

“We’ll, we’ve been hunting unit 80 for 31 years and now we’re forced out. Looking for any info on units X, Y, and Z. Not looking for anyone’s honey hole, just trying to put my dad on a good bull. He has hemorrhoids and doesn’t get around as well as he used to it, so somewhere close to the truck is ideal. We’ll be coming up with our 71 foot trailer with our SxSs, wall tent, generator and freezers. If anyone has some good info on where we can camp, that’s be great. Also, what the best boot for DIY OTC elk hunting in Central CO for sept?”

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Across AR, OK and TX, tears of distress will be spilled into many a What-A-Burger trey.
At least they have What A Burger trays to cry into. Sometime this year we're supposed to get a couple of them here. I had that idea about 5 years ago.......I just wasn't quick enough to the trigger. Wouldn't mind opening a Rubio's here now though.

I kind of resent the comments but kind of get it as well. That said, see my comment above. All it takes is a bit of planning and you can hunt nearly every year in draw units. I personally would rather have a quality hunt every few years, than have a crappy hunt every year. BTW... my trailer is only 65 feet long. ;). We just go up and camp and enjoy the country (and mountain bike) during those years we don't draw.

PS, Whataburger isn't too bad.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Yea that makes a lot of sense, given the location of the 80/81 units, and i think probably most of us knew that. What do those %'s look like for other OTC units i wonder? mostly just speaking out of curiosity, not expecting anyone to have to dig up that data.
In the meeting they showed some stats and it was roughly 50/50, which is crazy when you consider most states only give 10-20% of the tags to nonresidents