Colorado high alpine hunt advice

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Now look, I’m no idiot. I know questions about specific units get hit with the same scrutiny every time. The age old “do your own research like we did” and the “no one is going to give away their hard earned secrets”. I get that, and I’m not asking for a waypoint on a hidden gem. So, against my better judgement, here we go…

Myself and two buddies are embarking on our first backpacking mule deer hunt. High alpine. Early season. We’ve researched the crap out of it, I honestly don’t know how I haven’t lost my job for being on google earth instead of doing my actual job lol I’ve got OnX points coming out my ears. 3-4 camp location options depending on pressure, glassing locations, likely water collection sites, etc…

So what am I here for? The stuff I’m forgetting. I’ve used several guys lists from on this site to make my gear list. Someone had a very helpful meal list I “stole”. I’m looking for just any tip for a guy looking to go have the week of a lifetime and maybe if I’m lucky get a chance at a deer.

Maybe you have a tip on this unit:
- is it packed with hikers?
- no deer period?
- maybe it’s overrun with elk guys

Or maybe you just have a general tip for anyone in my situation in any unit. This group has amazed me so far with its wisdom, so I figured heck, might as well give it a shot.

Oh.. one more thing. Our one guy joined us last minute so he missed the deer draw. So he’s going with a bear tag. I know, his chances are insanely low, but he figured better than just being a hiker. Anyone seen bear in this area?

Thanks gents

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
All units in Western CO are “packed” with hikers during the late summer/early fall. By anyone’s standards. Mtn Bikes, too. In fact, you may see more bikes than hikers. You’re going to have to accept that and get over it.

Alpine mule deer activity drops off quick once hunting season starts. Real quick. And it will likley be limited to the first and last few minutes of light unless it’s cloudy. They browse and bed down in the willow all summer, but the moment the willow starts turning yellow, they don’t eat it anymore. So, first course of action would be to figure out if they are still eating willow and then hunt areas with lots of willow. Willow grows in high moisture areas, particularly at the bottom of avalanche chutes. Don’t expect mule deer to be bedded down out in the open tundra. In fact, I’d hunt on the edge of treeline. If the deer have already stopped eating willow, might as well visit the hot springs and buy your wife some gifts, because you most likely won’t see deer above treeline.

As for bear hunting at that elevation, your friend should have spent that money on lottery tickets. There’s nothing that grows in the alpine that they eat with the exception of the occasional blueberries, but they don’t grow in enough concentration at that elevation to attract bears. Your friend should be breaking off and hunting 1,000-4,000 lower than you if he wants any real chance at killing a bear. The exception might be if you find an elk carcass, but it’s rare to stumble across them in hunting season at the elevation your hunting with that mule deer tag.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
All units in Western CO are “packed” with hikers during the late summer/early fall. By anyone’s standards. Mtn Bikes, too. In fact, you may see more bikes than hikers. You’re going to have to accept that and get over it.

Alpine mule deer activity drops off quick once hunting season starts. Real quick. And it will likley be limited to the first and last few minutes of light unless it’s cloudy. They browse and bed down in the willow all summer, but the moment the willow starts turning yellow, they don’t eat it anymore. So, first course of action would be to figure out if they are still eating willow and then hunt areas with lots of willow. Willow grows in high moisture areas, particularly at the bottom of avalanche chutes. Don’t expect mule deer to be bedded down out in the open tundra. In fact, I’d hunt on the edge of treeline. If the deer have already stopped eating willow, might as well visit the hot springs and buy your wife some gifts, because you most likely won’t see deer above treeline.

As for bear hunting at that elevation, your friend should have spent that money on lottery tickets. There’s nothing that grows in the alpine that they eat with the exception of the occasional blueberries, but they don’t grow in enough concentration at that elevation to attract bears. Your friend should be breaking off and hunting 1,000-4,000 lower than you if he wants any real chance at killing a bear. The exception might be if you find an elk carcass, but it’s rare to stumble across them in hunting season at the elevation your hunting with that mule deer tag.
Thank you! I kind of figured as much on his bear tag. I think mostly he just wants the experience, so I’ll just keep this information between us at rokslide and let him enjoy his hiking with bows lol

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider

I assume this means find the dedicated hiking trails and get away from them? Or is it like here in the east and the deer know the trails and might just be 50 yards from them with no care in the world as long as hikers stay in traditional hiking areas?

WoodBow

WKR
No experience with the unit but have hunted in CO above timberline for several years. You WILL see a lot of people. One area we hunt it seems the deer are very used to high traffic and not really getting messed with. It is no slouch of a hike in with camp on your back but no big deal with no pack. So the traffic tends to be 95% hikers. The other area we hunt was covered up in hunters the last time we were in there. Tents on every ridge. Labor day weekend is super busy. After monday, all the other tents left and the deer came back.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the unit but have hunted in CO above timberline for several years. You WILL see a lot of people. One area we hunt it seems the deer are very used to high traffic and not really getting messed with. It is no slouch of a hike in with camp on your back but no big deal with no pack. So the traffic tends to be 95% hikers. The other area we hunt was covered up in hunters the last time we were in there. Tents on every ridge. Labor day weekend is super busy. After monday, all the other tents left and the deer came back.
Thanks for the input. If you don’t mind, what elevation are you normally hunting? The areas we have picked out are pretty high. I’m a little worried we might be too high. Our previous mule deer experience is all in the breaks in Montana so this is quite a different beast to say the least.. most of the area we’re looking at is 10500+

WoodBow

WKR
Thanks for the input. If you don’t mind, what elevation are you normally hunting? The areas we have picked out are pretty high. I’m a little worried we might be too high. Our previous mule deer experience is all in the breaks in Montana so this is quite a different beast to say the least.. most of the area we’re looking at is 10500+
I'd say we are 10k to 13.5k in general.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I assume this means find the dedicated hiking trails and get away from them? Or is it like here in the east and the deer know the trails and might just be 50 yards from them with no care in the world as long as hikers stay in traditional hiking areas?

You can and will see deer near popular hiking trails, but I wouldn’t say it’s comparable to whitetail behavior. The answer is “yes and no” or “it just depends.” If you are a “couple of miles” back in there, you typically won’t see hikers until mid morning. So, hiking trails can be good early and late.

Take a seat cushion. If you’re doing it right you’ll be parked a lot using your optics. Might even consider a Helinox type chair.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Take a seat cushion. If you’re doing it right you’ll be parked a lot using your optics. Might even consider a Helinox type chair.
I was planning on a good butt pad and a well picked rock lol I’m really looking forward to the glass time. It’s not something I get to do much here in the east so I really find it enjoyable to pick a mountainside apart.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Now, go back and edit your post to remove unit number.
Will do. Amateur move. Oops. Such a foreign concept for the east. Almost no public land here in WV. Just 40 acres your buddies cousins neighbor owns lol

sndmn11

WKR
I was planning on a good butt pad and a well picked rock lol I’m really looking forward to the glass time. It’s not something I get to do much here in the east so I really find it enjoyable to pick a mountainside apart.
A hillsound stool or helinox chair will be far better to bring.

I wouldn't worry about the unit number being in the thread.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
A hillsound stool or helinox chair will be far better to bring.

I wouldn't worry about the unit number being in the thread.
Ok thanks. I took it out just to be safe. I don’t want to be that guy. It’s weird though. No one likes to discuss specific units, but a unit down by Cortez is probably a lot different ball game than one up by Fort Collins.

sndmn11

WKR
Ok thanks. I took it out just to be safe. I don’t want to be that guy. It’s weird though. No one likes to discuss specific units, but a unit down by Cortez is probably a lot different ball game than one up by Fort Collins.
Well, there's a reason why those are 2nd choice and no point hunt codes. One could throw out a bunch of Xs on the map and talk about how rad the hunting is, and nobody would think they were serious.

WKR
Been glassing for sheep a lot in last month. I am using the Thermarest Z seat. 2 ounces, made in USA. Working good so far.

Funny story on glassing deer. Yesterday we hiked in very early and were glassing sheep, elk and deer. Countless hikers walking by with 4 velvet mulies about 600 yards beneath the trail at treeline. Every once in a while someone would ask what we were seeing and I'd have them peer in the scope and they were shocked there were deer that close.

Don't know about your unit but don't rule out areas that would seem to be high pressure. I've seen plenty of elk and deer within a half mile of busy trailheads. They may get pressured, they may slide into some tough country but they are still in the neighborhood.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Been glassing for sheep a lot in last month. I am using the Thermarest Z seat. 2 ounces, made in USA. Working good so far.

Funny story on glassing deer. Yesterday we hiked in very early and were glassing sheep, elk and deer. Countless hikers walking by with 4 velvet mulies about 600 yards beneath the trail at treeline. Every once in a while someone would ask what we were seeing and I'd have them peer in the scope and they were shocked there were deer that close.

Don't know about your unit but don't rule out areas that would seem to be high pressure. I've seen plenty of elk and deer within a half mile of busy trailheads. They may get pressured, they may slide into some tough country but they are still in the neighborhood.
Thanks for the input and best of luck on the sheep. That’s a hardcore hunt.