Colorado High Country - Bring FF Mirrorless Camera?

Would you bring a full frame mirrorless camera on a high country hunt?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

UCFJed

FNG
Planning a 2022 high country mule deer hunt, my first western hunt, and I'm trying to combine my experience backpacking with my eastern hunt experience.

One decision that I'm struggling with is bringing my Canon RP with EF 16-35mm L. When I backpack I typically bring it and use the Peak Design camera clip, but I'm worried that this could get in the way of the core purpose of the hunt. The camera and lens is about 40oz, with the clip, extra battery, and a cover adding an additional 10oz. Would have a tripod for use with a spotting scope.

Would be doing this trip with a good buddy of mine, so taking cool pictures would be awesome. For harvest shots/normal pictures, an iPhone does well enough, but the difference in quality in truly apparent in wide angle landscapes. Since I'll be in beautiful terrain, would love to capture as much of it as possible.

87TT

WKR
Wow! 4 lbs extra plus a spotter and tripod. Unless you are taking pack stock, I would leave it or decide whether you're are hunting or picture taking. Remember if you kill something, it has to be carried out too.

OP
U

UCFJed

FNG
Wow! 4 lbs extra plus a spotter and tripod. Unless you are taking pack stock, I would leave it or decide whether you're are hunting or picture taking. Remember if you kill something, it has to be carried out too.
Agreed, that was my concern. On a backpacking trip, that's the focus, picture taking, but on a hunting trip it's secondary.

This. Don't let your gear interfere with your primary purpose.

I've been tempted to bring a lot of my camera gear every year to Colorado, and I have a few times, but it always stayed in my truck. No way I'm lugging an extra 4-5 lbs. in my hunting pack every day just for a few photos. My iPhone does just fine for that.

OP
U

UCFJed

FNG
This. Don't let your gear interfere with your primary purpose.

I've been tempted to bring a lot of my camera gear every year to Colorado, and I have a few times, but it always stayed in my truck. No way I'm lugging an extra 4-5 lbs. in my hunting pack every day just for a few photos. My iPhone does just fine for that.
Good perspective. I was leaning away from taking it on this trip but the way I'm thinking about is would I rather have good photos or a better chance at harvesting. Obviously harvesting. Wanted to see if more experienced people ever regretted not lugging the camera gear up the mountain but seems pretty universal especially as my pack weight approaches 40lbs without lugging an animal out.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree with what’s been said. High country mule deer for a first western hunt is already an extremely difficult proposition, I would focus on that and leave the extra weight at home or in the truck. Good luck and have fun.

Good perspective. I was leaning away from taking it on this trip but the way I'm thinking about is would I rather have good photos or a better chance at harvesting. Obviously harvesting. Wanted to see if more experienced people ever regretted not lugging the camera gear up the mountain but seems pretty universal especially as my pack weight approaches 40lbs without lugging an animal out.
After one trip, you'll have your answer for yourself. iPhone cameras these days are nothing short of incredible. Some of them have a better dynamic range than my D500 body. It's just crazy.