Colorado high country mule deer hunt, unit 36

Has anyone hunted the high country in Colorado units 36,35,45,and 361 for archery? I am look at putting in for archery tag in this unit and was just wondering how the deer numbers look and what the hunting pressure is like. Thanks guy!

Combined, that is a massive area. There are plenty of good high country spots in those 4 units with deer. You may want to narrow down your search quite a bit. Hunting pressure will be pretty high in all areas, and weekends will have insane hiker traffic as well.

OP
H
Combined, that is a massive area. There are plenty of good high country spots in those 4 units with deer. You may want to narrow down your search quite a bit. Hunting pressure will be pretty high in all areas, and weekends will have insane hiker traffic as well.
Thanks for the feedback. I’m planning to hunt 36 but if I draw that tag I can hunt the others with it. Do you know more about the 36 unit?

Thanks for the feedback. I’m planning to hunt 36 but if I draw that tag I can hunt the others with it. Do you know more about the 36 unit?
I have never hunted in 36 but I have done a fair amount of hiking around in there during the summer. It has some amazing high country but I have seen more mountain goats than I have deer, though I never went far off trail. It is definitely very crowded with hikers and climbers, the main access points to most climbing peaks are on the west side of the Gore range in 36 and there are not a whole lot of trailheads to choose from.

I have never been to the northern part of the unit but that would probably be where I would look if I were to hunt it, if you can get away from I-70 a little ways the pressure will drop significantly. If you have any specific questions feel free to message me and I will help out if I can

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Watch out for sheep in 36. They don't completely run off deer, but they displace them for a while at least. I have ran into them on past scouting trips right before season. Water holes that are normally clean turn into mud holes pretty quick when 3000 sheep come through.

Last edited:
There’s not as much ‘high country’ in 35. And replace sheep with cows there. Not sure if either have any affect on the deer but you may have a preference for lamb vs beef to fill an empty tag. :)

mickeyelk

FNG
I have hunted unit 36 twice, but not archery. I had an the early season rifle tags, but its been 10 years or so. I don;t have any late info about deer. From the city off 70 there are trails that take you up to the top. Most of the deer I saw were in Mountain Goat country. You'll have to hike real high for them. First year I took a nice 28 inch wide buck. The second time, saw deer but nothing nice. I liked the unit real well. If I could hike like I use to I would be putting in for it. Good luck.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I hunted the Eagles Nest Wilderness several years in a row, when I first moved to Colorado. I hunted along Elliot Ridge, shot my first mulie with my longbow up there. Problem is, that was 15 years ago now LOL. Back then, I pretty much had the place to myself. Now, that trail head gets HAMMERED with hikers, hunters, people climbing Mount Powell, etc. The beetle kill up there is insane as well, I mean downright dangerous. We used to family camp up there, but I dont really go up there much anymore.
Like anything else in Colorado, you are going to have to WORK to get into animals up there. The Vail valley gets absolutely hammered with pressure, and no matter how far off trail, or how steep and gnarly you go, you are never getting away from people there.

Txvarmint

FNG
Has anyone hunted the high country in Colorado units 36,35,45,and 361 for archery? I am look at putting in for archery tag in this unit and was just wondering how the deer numbers look and what the hunting pressure is like. Thanks guy!
Did you draw this tag? Hunting partner an I bow hunted 35 2 seasons back. May be able to help.