Colorado High County Archery Units w/ 1 point

Akicita

WKR
Looks like you have done your due diligence on research and have a good plan. Based on this statement alone

I'd just like an opportunity to get after mature bucks in an adventurous hunt
I would have to recommend any unit in your first two choices. That's some of the most beautiful wilderness in Colorado and any thing you see on your scouting in July should stay nearby until mid October.

I’ll be in those areas in Late July and early August doing speed climbs on some peaks I would like to do better on. Hope to see you out there.

xB4FTgj.jpg

OP
morgan1h

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input everyone, reassurance is helpful for someone applying to new areas without ever getting boots on the ground.

I'm also considering 75/751 as well as 74 for early Archery Mule Deer.. I know these are always loaded questions but I'm just curious on the type of early Archery mule deer pressure these units get, are there a lot of wilderness alpine deer hunters, guides etc. in these units. I'm sure I can disappear that hasn't been a issue in other wilderness units for Elk in the past. And what are the deer numbers in the high country wilderness areas, I have crunched some numbers and done that work, just kinda want a little insight on the actual densitys in the high country areas. Thses are new Units for me, just looking for a little change of scenery. I'm not looking for information on exact spots etc. paving my own path and turning up my own money spots is all the fun.. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, again not looking for anyone's sweet spots or trail heads. Shoot me a PM if any one has a little insight. thanks..

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
How about 80/81? Anybody have any opinions there?

Between scouting and elk hunting I’ve been in 80/81 11 times. I use the unit as my fallback for elk when I don’t draw in other states. With that said I will be mule deer hunting the unit for the first time this year. IMO there are far better units in Colorado, but I feel my knowledge of the unit will be more beneficial than hunting a higher density or trophy unit.

There are a lot of hunters, hikers and atv riders in the units. There isn’t anywhere that you can go to really get deep enough to get away from everyone without running into the next road. I generally run into horses and big groups of Amish around 4-6 miles in (about as deep as you can get).

I generally find elk and mule deer in bowls above timberline up until a few days prior to season, then they head for the timber. The outfitters in the area don’t clear trails, setup camp or cut firewood until the week prior to season.

If you hunt the unit you need to stay mobile and be prepared to move when other hunters or hikers walk through. You also need to check on the recent and current location of the cattle and sheep herds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
As for access into GMUs 75/751 look into taking the train down from Silverton. Stops are at Elk Creek and Needle Creek Trails. You can quickly get a long ways back with a little added adventure. Good luck!

I would consider the deepest wilderness you can find considering your shape. Use it to your advantage and don't worry about burning 1 point, that's silly. I would consider learning the most remote country in a 0-1 point unit and learn how to hunt high country deer and how to use the terrain. I would look for long ridges that offer glassing points in multiple basins. It sucks when you are miles in and run out of country (ie unit boundaries, highways (74) jeep roads etc.) I was disappointed with human traffic in 74. I did see bucks but they are in small groups in isolated basins. One archery elk hunter tromping through can blow them out for several days. 74 has continental divide trail, Colorado trail, access everywhere and a highway going through some alpine areas. There were archery elk hunters parked all over it. Also has an above timber rifle hunt. Your better off using your youth and fitness to get to country that's in 75 or 77. There are deer anywhere in the Wilderness areas . Find your honeyhole in one you can draw easily, learn the country, document the deer and watch them for years. You will get it done if you put in the scouting days as you mentioned.
Think about places that you would not want to pack an elk out of and look there. Deer will be a little higher in July but not much. Typically 500 to 1000 feet I've found. They just skirt the timber and hug it a little closer as they start to finish antler growth. By the time muzzy starts they are half in timber- half out for the most part. Some are cleaned up and some aren't. Your best shot is the first few days of the hunt so be where you need to be and be prepared.

bardenes

FNG
We hunted 47 last year Archery elk. 2nd-3rd week of September. Saw LOTS of mule deer above treeline. Feel free to pm me with questions if you are considering that unit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thomas11

WKR
We hunted 47 last year Archery elk. 2nd-3rd week of September. Saw LOTS of mule deer above treeline. Feel free to pm me with questions if you are considering that unit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sent u a PM!

OP
morgan1h

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up with the 75/751 tag! Pretty excited! The fire raging there right now is pretty sad though.