Colorado High County Archery Units w/ 1 point

weeble19

FNG
Let us know how it goes. Just finished my hunt and already planning for next year. 75/751 looks like the type of country I want to get in to

JDZ

WKR
ba70139283aaaed6f7865e39c483deb6.jpg

My high country 1-point unit CO archery buck. Day 7 of a solo backcountry hunt.

LandYacht

WKR

Great buck! Especially after 7 days. Those are true grinders that can really become more work than fun.

On a less serious note, what’s the ata on that bow you are shooting? Based on the picture I’d guess 72”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDZ

WKR
Great buck! Especially after 7 days. Those are true grinders that can really become more work than fun.

On a less serious note, what’s the ata on that bow you are shooting? Based on the picture I’d guess 72”

Thanks. Yeah, the trip was very good, but I really can't remember many fun things that happened during days 2 thru 6.

Tough to get good photos when you're by yourself. The bow is very close to the camera. It's actually only 70-inch ATA. 150-lb draw weight, and 59-inch draw length.

sndmn11

WKR
Tough to get good photos when you're by yourself. The bow is very close to the camera. It's actually only 70-inch ATA. 150-lb draw weight, and 59-inch draw length.

It is needed though when you find those 700 pounders up as high as they can be before they turn into elk.

LandYacht

WKR
Thanks. Yeah, the trip was very good, but I really can't remember many fun things that happened during days 2 thru 6.

I like it!

Nice buck! Do you have any pictures of the terrain? I’m in a similar vote in trying to figure out what to do with my points next year.

Lots of good units in CO you can draw with 1 point.

7cb582f257ae35ee634cf893885170a4.jpg

70093c8703059d5c96c95e3f8577ad57.jpg

Pics like this are torture right now. I’m salivating just thinking about throwing my Binos on a tripod and picking apart those basins!! Can’t wait for scouting season!

Lots of good units in CO you can draw with 1 point.

7cb582f257ae35ee634cf893885170a4.jpg

70093c8703059d5c96c95e3f8577ad57.jpg

Beautiful country for sure and exactly the type of hunt I would be looking for if I had fewer points. Here’s my conundrum...I have 6 points heading into 2019. And I want to find a high country unit for muledeer. From the homework I have done I’m kind of in between regarding points.

I hate to use my points on an archery tag requiring less points. However, I don’t quite have enough points for the above timberline rifle season or the fourth rifle season hunts either.

ColoradoV

WKR
Something to think about is that archery deer hunters in Colorado got screwed over in a royal way so that elk hunters could move the season back a week... This change will start next year.

Or starting in 2020 the archery deer season will start a week or more later than it has in the past this will in some cases and years give archers only 4 days before 300 win mags are chucking 1000 yd shots at the same deer archers are hunting. Needless to say once the high power rifles start ripping the deer head for cover and dont come out. Also once they shed their velvet they move out of the high country basins and with the later season dates things get very very tight for archers. Best part is that our local bowhunters association could care less about hunting deer up high = as otc elk is all that matters to the good old cba..

Sad to see the dates pushed back and if you are a deer hunter be sure to thank the Colorado Bowhunters Ass as they are the reason for the change so their aging membership could hunt elk a week later when they perceive the rut to be better and in the process screwed over archery deer hunters big time.

Something to think about for sure - this change the CBA not only pushed for but made their #1 priority will give colorado the worst starting date of any state in the west if you like to hunt deer above timberline. It also effectively removed a week of the season as we all know the last week of archery above timberline for deer is a joke. With the way the dates have been pushed back it will no doubt erode the archery experience to the point that is it worth it.

Yea sad to see for archery deer in Co- thanks again CBA for screwing over high country deer hunters royally..

chujing

FNG
Something to think about is that archery deer hunters in Colorado got screwed over in a royal way so that elk hunters could move the season back a week... This change will start next year.

Or starting in 2020 the archery deer season will start a week or more later than it has in the past this will in some cases and years give archers only 4 days before 300 win mags are chucking 1000 yd shots at the same deer archers are hunting. Needless to say once the high power rifles start ripping the deer head for cover and dont come out. Also once they shed their velvet they move out of the high country basins and with the later season dates things get very very tight for archers. Best part is that our local bowhunters association could care less about hunting deer up high = as otc elk is all that matters to the good old cba..

Sad to see the dates pushed back and if you are a deer hunter be sure to thank the Colorado Bowhunters Ass as they are the reason for the change so their aging membership could hunt elk a week later when they perceive the rut to be better and in the process screwed over archery deer hunters big time.

Something to think about for sure - this change the CBA not only pushed for but made their #1 priority will give colorado the worst starting date of any state in the west if you like to hunt deer above timberline. It also effectively removed a week of the season as we all know the last week of archery above timberline for deer is a joke. With the way the dates have been pushed back it will no doubt erode the archery experience to the point that is it worth it.

Yea sad to see for archery deer in Co- thanks again CBA for screwing over high country deer hunters royally..
I agree. But maybe it’ll help the draw odds of those archery hunts because they’re so much less desirable now. Maybe 1 pt units will become 0 point units? I don’t know, just trying to find a positive here.

chujing

FNG

Also maybe fewer hikers to worry about later into September?

Curious how many of these tags get filled later, like after Sept. 8th