Colorado hiking suggestions

Jbehredt

WKR
There's some great trails and beautiful country around Silverjack Reservoir. Not as high as some peaks but still great country and plenty of spots to camp and get away from people. It won't be empty anywhere in Aug though. Not too far to make a trip to visit Telluride, Ouray, Gunnison, etc.

I’ll be at Silverjack the first weekend in August. Stay away from my trout holes! Stumbled across the place last year while cruising the Ouray area with our SXS. Gonna spend a couple nights this year.
bad660806a6f7cd9b1d05c1274a522a0.jpg
. Just a phone pic from the middle of the road.... nice country.

Any of you, hit me up if you wanna swing by for a beer while you're here. I'm right on the hwy, south of Montrose.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Where are you 2 from? 14000 ft is no joke, and not something a lot of people can handle without preparing their bodies for first. Be safe, people die every year from altitude sickness here.

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking for a backpack trip you could do the Thomas Lakes outside of Carbondale, near Aspen. You can summit Mt. Sopris, which I believe is the second highest mountain in terms of base to peak in the lower-48. It's an impressive mountain, but the summit is "only" 12,950 or so. It looks massive because of how much it rises out of Carbondale. It's a tough hike for sure, but the summit is a great feeling of accomplishment and it's gorgeous along the way.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
Where are you 2 from? 14000 ft is no joke, and not something a lot of people can handle without preparing their bodies for first. Be safe, people die every year from altitude sickness here.

We are from Michigan. I am aware of altitude sickness and the signs. I've been over 13k but not 14k. My daughter hasn't been up that high hiking before. She road in a car through Rocky Mt. national park years ago.

I'll keep an eye on her and make sure we are ok. Not sure we'll even try a 14er. Have to see how it goes when we get around 12 depending where we end up going.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Good idea. You probably know the drill, drink a ton of water. I live here and cant handle much over 13000. Damn anemia

Vandy321

WKR
I havent lived here long, but I've never gotten myself sick on trips I've made here in the past...it was always recommended to me to get a hotel in DEN or COS the first night, spending a day or so walking around town at 5-7k, will help tremendously with the acclimation.

Maybe grab some Diamox as well if you two plan on a 14er...better safe than sorry.