Colorado hiking suggestions

bwlacy

WKR
Looking for any info about different areas of the state. My daughter wants to go backpacking with me in August. She's 24 and in pretty decent shape, but never been in the mountains or carried a pack. Looking at all different areas online to take her for a few days sight seeing.

Considering around Telluride or Aspen areas currently. I've hunted around Telluride a few times and have all the gear for her and I to spend 3 or 4 nights on the mountain.

Any info on cool trails that aren't super popular is welcome. Lakes, water falls, wild flowers, etc.. are all on the list of things she'd like to see. It won't be during hunting season, but I won't mind the extra scouting trip for future reference either.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
My newly graduated daughter wants to hit some of the Colorado Trail so we are headed that way on July 1st to start in Waterton and go to Breckinridge. If it was later we would do Silverton to Durango which is the more scenic last 80 miles. Park in Durango and take the train north were they will stop the train for hikers right on the CT and hike back to your vehicle.

steve s

Lil-Rokslider
I’d avoid hanging lake and most 14ers unless you want to hike with lots of people.

Crested Butte is worth considering. Lots of great hiking, close to town, good food and easy to get to.

Aspen has good hikes but completely different vibe than most mountain towns. Avoid Maroon Bells and hike early to avoid crowds.

Ouray has some good hikes and is a cool town as well. Great Jeep trails around too.

Ping me if I can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
Ouray will provide a “ real” CO mountain town/hiking experience. One of the last real mountain towns. Some incredible hikes there.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
I have looked at the Blue Lakes Trail.

Would prefer to avoid people :)

I'll look at the maps around Crested Butte.

Thanks for the info !

brsnow

WKR
You will have a very hard time avoiding people regardless of where you go. Crested Butte is a great place but certainly very crowded these days.

Poser

WKR
If you know you’re way around Telluride, that’s probably a good choice, though the altitude is pretty high. Columbine Lake is a great spot, though from the Telluride side, you’ll have to go off trail in the high country to get there.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
In my opinion, Colorado is the ultimate state for hiking. There are 54 14ers with multiple routes on each.

Buy a guide to Colorado’s 14ers and go do some epic hikes with minimal planning.

When I lived there I’d pack a rain coat, lunch and a few liters of water and hit the 14ers hard.

Im actually sort of jealous, Alaska is awesome but rhenhiking opportunities in Colorado are better.

bz_711

WKR
If in Aspen area I've always recommended Conundrum Hot Springs...my wife and I really enjoyed that for an overnight hike...nothing like a natural 100+ degree hot tub waiting for you at the end of a long day! But, I'm not sure if trail will be open this summer due to avalanches this winters?

Any idea if you can get from the Blue Lakes Trail to Blaine basin trail? It looks like there is a saddle to go through and make it a loop. But having never been there I didn't want to plan on it.
Not sure, but I do know the terrain around Sneffels above treeline is very steep, and very loose, not great for a novice...
and the weather can turn on a dime and get nasty...been there and done exactly that....

Poser

WKR
Any idea if you can get from the Blue Lakes Trail to Blaine basin trail? It looks like there is a saddle to go through and make it a loop. But having never been there I didn't want to plan on it.

Dallas Trail #200 should allow you to link it up.

e3766bea651fe649d924e535f7f15e44.jpg
38bd1766a442422ab76ee8288f549ca2.jpg

Went back and looked at the map....yes I have been nearly to the top of that saddle from the north side, it was doable but route finding and weather watching are going to be critical attempting a traverse...very exposed to rockfall and slides up there....

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. I might just play it by ear when we get out there. Looking at a few options right now. I'd love to do a 14er but I don't know if she's ready for that. Same with the Sneffels area. We'll see how she's doing and what the current weather looks like. I've hunted around Telluride enough to know that the weather is fickle and can change in a hurry. Don't want to be above tree line on a rock slide when the thunder rolls in.

Elbert is an easy, enjoyable hike with bonus bragging rights...probably a few snow patches but nothing major....

elkduds

WKR

In reverse order of awesomeness

There's some great trails and beautiful country around Silverjack Reservoir. Not as high as some peaks but still great country and plenty of spots to camp and get away from people. It won't be empty anywhere in Aug though. Not too far to make a trip to visit Telluride, Ouray, Gunnison, etc.

I second what Cody said about Silver Jack area, west fork of the Cimarron, great hike. Hanging lake now must make reservations. Blue Lake trail , Last year at this time still snow on the higher parts, right now I would say snowshoes from the looks. Later in the summer last year, the trail head was a parking ZOO! turned around plenty of other trails in Colorado just enjoy.